Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok

So here’s my deal.

I own a 955 with a 70A loader. And I have 20 acres of woods.

I’ve been toying with getting a JDQA adapter made or helping someone make one for my loader as a pair of forks and a grapple would be extremely handy. I have places that I can burn brush but that’s not where the brush is.
I figure a grapple could be very handy for this and other projects.

Anyway my question is how does the diverter work for the grapple hydraulics. Where does it tie into on the loader.

I’m thinking it might be easiest to run it of the lower beyond port on the back. I’ve tried to look on the website but can’t find anything on where it gets is hydraulic power from.

Thanks in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
4,841 Posts
Diverter

The set up that I have and I think is pretty usual is that the lines to the curl function feed into the diverter valve. Then one set of lines go to the curl cylinders and the other set goes to the grapple.

Treefarmer

·
Administrator
17,098 Posts
Diverters mount on the loader tower, on the same side as the hydraulic lines. The only thing going back to the tractor is the wires. This is what makes them easier to install vs a true "3rd function" since they just interrupt the dump/curl lines on the loader and not the main hydraulic flow on the tractor. It is basically a "DPDT" switch for hydraulics, if your an electronics guy that may help you understand the operation.

See the diagram below, and two pics from a customer with an older JD machine similar to yours.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
I have the Artillian diverter.
It takes the two curl lines, like treefarmer said, and splits it into 4 with an electric solenoid. Requires a 12 volt power source and has a button to mount on bucket control joystick.
The first pic of two are the original curl lines.

814F3D5F-CD32-4F01-A441-84802B792C6D.jpg

F46AF24D-8504-4033-BA34-23260E59DE1A.jpg

78A511CC-1B22-4066-ABEF-95997C2B5D3B.jpg

·
Registered
3,654 Posts
Ok

I’m thinking it might be easiest to run it of the lower beyond port on the back. I’ve tried to look on the website but can’t find anything on where it gets is hydraulic power from.
If I'm understanding your statement, you're considering running the "grapple jaw hydraulics" from a different set of ports - maybe the ones that currently control your mower deck height - instead of off the FEL hydraulics. I'd recommend against this. That would mean having to take your hand from the loader joystick to another control lever when you wanted to open the jaws. While that might be less expensive, it would make the grapple operation pretty inconvenient. I can't imagine trying to use my grapple moving my hand off the FEL lever.

Think of it this way - while in the cockpit flying an instrument approach, how much of a pain would it be to have to pick up a separate mic to respond to ATC instead of keying the mic using the button built into the control yoke?

Tie into the FEL hydraulics and use a joystick mounted button to control which set of hydraulic cylinders the diverter valve operates. You will be MUCH happier.

·
Premium Member
7,578 Posts
This one is easy.

Call KennyD and tell him what you want to do.

Follow his instructions for measuring, pictures, etc.

Give KennyD your credit card number.

Shortly a box will arrive.

Again, follow KennyD's instructions (usually in the box).

So what is so hard about hydraulics?

·
Registered
2,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
This one is easy.

Call KennyD and tell him what you want to do.

Follow his instructions for measuring, pictures, etc.

Give KennyD your credit card number.

Shortly a box will arrive.

Again, follow KennyD's instructions (usually in the box).

So what is so hard about hydraulics?
Nothing now that I understand where it gets the power from and how the system works. Easy leash lemon squeezey. It’s only money right?

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
Ok

So here’s my deal.

I own a 955 with a 70A loader. And I have 20 acres of woods.

I’ve been toying with getting a JDQA adapter made or helping someone make one for my loader as a pair of forks and a grapple would be extremely handy. I have places that I can burn brush but that’s not where the brush is.
I figure a grapple could be very handy for this and other projects.

Anyway my question is how does the diverter work for the grapple hydraulics. Where does it tie into on the loader.

Thanks in advance.

You can easily install the WR Long 3rd function hydraulics for the loader yourself. It's not complicated at all. See the attached video I made about installing the WR Long 3rd function hydraulics, as well as the videos of the EA 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple I installed. The setup is truly BadAss!!! Let me know if you have any questions. I can help guide you through the installation.... happy to do so....

Sincerely

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbRzlQytrVA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCR2u_u0hk4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAVl9be0y7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URe8E7mBSmc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjKAubBYKgE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnVqubZJygY

·
Registered
13 Posts
I have the diverter mounted very close to the front of the FEL. I like this solution because no extra hoses needed along the beams. It keeps that area clean, only the wire for the control of the diverter.
Saw this solution somewhere on GTT and asked my dealer to copy it.

Attachments

·
Administrator
17,098 Posts
I have the diverter mounted very close to the front of the FEL. I like this solution because no extra hoses needed along the beams. It keeps that area clean, only the wire for the control of the diverter.
Saw this solution somewhere on GTT and asked my dealer to copy it.
That looks very nice! But that is a very vulnerable location, especially with a grapple that has large openings on the back.

·
Registered
13 Posts
That looks very nice! But that is a very vulnerable location, especially with a grapple that has large openings on the back.
Agree, but don't have a grapple. I'm going to use the third function for a manure fork with a closed rear panel. Ordered this one last week. Looking forward to start using it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
I've had my SSQA diverter up in that location for 2 years and haven't had any issues with it. In fact, I never welded the bracket on, so the only thing holding it in place is a couple hose clamps. My grapple's open back is the only thing I don't like about it. Gotta watch out for parallel sticks finding their way through.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
While we're on the subject of hydraulics... I have a question. Could I use the continuous flow ports on the back of my 2032 to feed an electronically activated valve? My thought process behind this is it would allow me to dump/ curl while opening/closing a grapple. Most electronic valves I have seen just divert from the dump/curl of the loader.

Still have a switch on the joystick just like the WR kit. This is not the same as others have asked about using rear ports to control grapple as I would have the rear remote in continuous flow and have the electric valve acuated by a switch on the joystick.

Hope this makes sense and don't know if there would be any gain to be able to dump and open. I would like to think so. Any thoughts on the subject would be much appreciated. I know one down side would be running loooong hose's:laugh:

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
While we're on the subject of hydraulics... I have a question. Could I use the continuous flow ports on the back of my 2032 to feed an electronically activated valve? My thought process behind this is it would allow me to dump/ curl while opening/closing a grapple. Most electronic valves I have seen just divert from the dump/curl of the loader.

Still have a switch on the joystick just like the WR kit. This is not the same as others have asked about using rear ports to control grapple as I would have the rear remote in continuous flow and have the electric valve acuated by a switch on the joystick.

Hope this makes sense and don't know if there would be any gain to be able to dump and open. I would like to think so. Any thoughts on the subject would be much appreciated. I know one down side would be running loooong hose's:laugh:
You don't have enough flow in your system to make it work the way you think it would. I have almost 12 gpm (at PTO RPM - which is another issue in itself), and I don't have enough flow for "smooth" double axis moves of any speed.

When you engage the loader arms circuit, you'll effectively cut off the continuous flow PB port you're talking about, and nothing will happen when you push said button.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts