Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello,

I have read just about every thread on GTT dealing with Grapples. When I did my search "grapple" on GTT I ended up with 13 pages of threads dealing with grapple topics. And I read just about all of those threads!!

My 4052R won't arrive until mid-April according to my dealer. So I still have lots of time to make my decision on which Grapple to purchase. I will have to widen my 900 foot driveway . . . trees on both sides will be cut down, cut into short lengths and moved away . . . this will be the main purpose of the Grapple. I used to use a long pry bar to roll the cut tree trunks up, and into my loader bucket. But, that method is getting too old for me to keep doing, and I'm getting too old, to!

So which Grapple should I consider buying? I'm thinking a single lid Grapple primarily for tree trunk grabbing and removal, but also for brush removal. I've sorta narrowed it down to the CTA and EA Grapples, but open to other suggestions. Better yet, if you have a JD 4052 which Grapple did you go with and why?

Thanks,

FredSG

·
Administrator
18,340 Posts
For a 4-series machine I'd go with EA, they have a proven reliability on the larger machines. While CTA makes nice stuff, I'm just not sure it's suited for a 4-series tractor.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I’ve been using my forks as a poor man’s grapple for larger tree trunks. It works quite good and as long as I’m ok with scraping the ground under the fallen trees I don’t have to get off the tractor to get the trunks onto the forks. I’ve picked up and carried three 18”+ x 10’ trunks at a time with them. I still want a grapple for limbs and stuff but there are plenty of other implements I want more now that I know the forks work pretty good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
2017 2038r 72” MMM Command Cut 220r loader

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I have a bucket,, and I have forks,, I want my grapple to be something COMPLETELY different,,

I think this is it,, and hopefully I will get one when the weather turns nice,,,

That attachment ought to make my tractor MUCH more capable,,, :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
2,758 Posts
I have a CTA grapple and have been very happy with it. I have had it 2 seasons now and I am very well served by it.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I have a 4052R as you, when I got my tractor I had the WR Long grapple installed on my loader bucket. It does work ok but hind sight I would opt for a separate root grapple sized for the 4052R. The Long grapple is heavy and tends to be awkward with loader work. Barry

·
Registered
380 Posts
Is that coming with the skid steer quick disconnect or JD?

I recently bought the 60" MTL RK5 for my 4310. It comes with the JD quick disconnect. They make them with either connection. Pretty heavy and I don't think I have to worry about breaking it. I don't have many hours on it yet so the jury is out. I have a bunch of roots I dug up with my backhoe and they are mixed in mud. Not having a lot of luck just pushing under and getting a grapple full to shake the dirt out of them. I'm betting it would work a lot better with 20 more HP and a heavier tractor. I like that it has a solid back plate on the grapple to prevent stuff from poking through. It also serves to grade if you put it down flat. Still learning what I can and can't do with it so it took some time to get the first task done. Hope to get better results with practice.

They are out of Atlanta area so not sure of their free shipping range to you. Mine was an add on charge of $60 for home delivery. Came on their own flatbed truck so I pulled up to the back of the truck, hooked on, and backed away. Pretty hard to beat $1200 delivered. Mine came with 1/2" ball type AG connectors so I suggest you give them the numbers on you tractor connectors if you order from them. They also had JIC hose ends with adapters so no going to TS for ends. I needed 3/8" tip type AG connectors. Had to make a run to town for adapters and connectors before I could use it. One nice thing was they had the unit in stock. Ordered on the weekend and got it the same week.

The grapple lid pivots are grease-able but the cylinder ends are not. I questioned the lid points not matching up with the rake points and their explanation was they match with the lids partly open. I still think they might work better if the points matched in full closed position.

I'm not crazy about the way they welded the hitch connection but I don't think it's an issue functionality wise. The pins are longer than the ones on my bucket and they also had a head that left the plate a little off the back face of the grapple.

I went ahead and enlarged the hole in a 1" grade 8 washer to press onto the pins to take up some slack. I also bought 1/2" trailer hitch pins from HF to secure it. That pretty much took all the slack out.

I also had to build a ballast box to keep my rear wheels planted. My disc harrows didn't add enough weight and I didn't want to load the tires.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have a bucket,, and I have forks,, I want my grapple to be something COMPLETELY different,,

I think this is it,, and hopefully I will get one when the weather turns nice,,,

That attachment ought to make my tractor MUCH more capable,,, :bigthumb:
Never seen a BLONDE grapple before :hide:

Reactions: goat704!

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Fred,

You cannot go wrong with any grapple you get. Some are better than others depending on your usage. Myself, I have the CTA grapple. I am very pleased with it and has done anything I have thrown at it. My one down fall I see with the CTA is that it will not pinch, pick up trees/logs that are about 6" in diameter or smaller. You can craddle it, but the grapple hooks do not close tight enough to actually pick small items up like that. Brush is not a problem and will crush brush to pick them. The CTA grapple is a beast with heavy steel and the points are sharp enough to cut you if you not careful but at the same time you can dig under tree roots and plop the out of the ground. I have used it to move rocks, logs, brush and even clean out my goat stalls with it. Personally if I had to buy again, it would still be the CTA grapple for the price, heavy material. Thats my $.02.

·
Registered
692 Posts
I have the WR Long dual lid grapple and I’m 100% pleased with it. The dual lid provides flexibility when picking up odd sizes of whatever - tree limbs, rocks, trash, etc. I’ve used my grapple to move maybe 12 or 15 cut trees, works great.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts