Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on adding a backhoe to my tractor. I'm trying to decide between getting a grapple or just use a backhoe thumb for grabbing and lifting logs. Getting a grapple is a major expense (about 5k with hoses and hydraulics) whereas a thumb for the backhoe can accomplish some of the things a grapple can but on a smaller scale. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or opinions on this subject.

·
Registered
3,439 Posts
A lot of that is going to depend on your intended use. I think they each have strengths and weaknesses. A thumb might be fine for the bigger stuff but if you are dealing with a lot of brush I would want a grapple.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,759 Posts
I plan on adding a backhoe to my tractor. I'm trying to decide between getting a grapple or just use a backhoe thumb for grabbing and lifting logs. Getting a grapple is a major expense (about 5k with hoses and hydraulics) whereas a thumb for the backhoe can accomplish some of the things a grapple can but on a smaller scale. Just wondering if anyone had any thoughts or opinions on this subject.
If I had your tractor (size wise, 3033r) and was planning to purchase a BH for it I would get the thumb, end of story, the grapple would not even be in the picture.

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
It would depend on how you were going to utilize it. A backhoe with a thumb will allow you pick logs up, but they can be a bit unyielding in how they are grasped as well as how they are placed---espcially if you're trying to load them in a truck/trailer or pile them neatly. A grapple will offer more control.

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you will be doing a lot of tree work and stump digging you will want both. That said you can get by without a grapple but a grapple will make life easier.

I have a full size backhoe loader I put a manual thumb on. It has been invaluable but picking stuff up and raising the stabilizers is tricky. Moving stuff any distance is better done with the loader end.

Don't know how Canadian currency compares but no way should a grapple and hydraulics cost 5 grand us. You can do a diverter set up for under $500.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
A lot of that is going to depend on your intended use. I think they each have strengths and weaknesses. A thumb might be fine for the bigger stuff but if you are dealing with a lot of brush I would want a grapple.
Wouldn't be dealing with a lot of brush. Mainly to:

1. dig out and remove stumps
2. lift/remove logs from log pile or from bush
3. a little brush work

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you will be doing a lot of tree work and stump digging you will want both. That said you can get by without a grapple but a grapple will make life easier.

I have a full size backhoe loader I put a manual thumb on. It has been invaluable but picking stuff up and raising the stabilizers is tricky. Moving stuff any distance is better done with the loader end.

Don't know how Canadian currency compares but no way should a grapple and hydraulics cost 5 grand us. You can do a diverter set up for under $500.
CDN$, grapple is about $3000 for HLA light duty grapple, BLV10882 Dual Outlet Rear Selective Control is about $1700, plus freight, install, setup etc. Total is well over $5k including 13% taxes.

·
Registered
616 Posts
CDN$, grapple is about $3000 for HLA light duty grapple, BLV10882 Dual Outlet Rear Selective Control is about $1700, plus freight, install, setup etc. Total is well over $5k including 13% taxes.
Consider Everything Attachments Wicked 55 or Wicked 60. Excellent Grapple, very strong and capable, light weight compared to others on the market. Wicked 55 is around 200lbs and around $1800US. Artillian diverter is about $700US. Total $2500US or $3350Can.

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
It sounds like you could get away with a backhoe thumb and maybe some pallet forks.

I wouldn't want to transport much with the backhoe thumb and not for much of a distance. For logs you can lift them, cut them, stack them and then fork them.

Another thing to keep in mind you have to position the tractor then move to the backhoe to work it and you only have so much range to use the backhoe before you have to re-position it.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Consider Everything Attachments Wicked 55 or Wicked 60. Excellent Grapple, very strong and capable, light weight compared to others on the market. Wicked 55 is around 200lbs and around $1800US. Artillian diverter is about $700US. Total $2500US or $3350Can.
You also need to factor in shipping costs which can be very expensive, duties, import fees and of course taxes.

·
Registered
616 Posts
You also need to factor in shipping costs which can be very expensive, duties, import fees and of course taxes.
Good point, that border changes things....

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Hmmmmmmmmmm,,,,,,,,, it is not A) or B)

it is A) first,, then, if the need arises,, get B)

To me, by F A R ,,, the thumb on a backhoe is more important,,

I use the thumb 95% of the time that the backhoe is used,,
I have had a loader since 1982, and there still is no grapple on my property,,

AND,, the thumb is WAY lower cost!! :good2:

Even if you get the grapple first, if you have rocks, you will be buying the thumb,,
so, you might as well try the lower cost option first,, that may be enough,,,:dunno:

·
Premium Member
9,661 Posts
I would get the Thumb first since its cheaper .....then grapple later if needed...i have both do way more with thumb on my hoe
Yeah, but that ain't the hoe he got....:lol:

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks everyone for all your advice. I know grapple and a thumb would be the best way to go but with limited :gizmo: I think I'll try the thumb first and hit up the finance committee :nunu: for more money if that doesn't work out.

·
Registered
262 Posts
You are just about right on for the grapple. I just bought the HLA 54” light duty one you are talking about. It was $2875 with taxes and shipping to New Brunswick.

·
Registered
1,398 Posts
Wouldn't be dealing with a lot of brush. Mainly to:

1. dig out and remove stumps
2. lift/remove logs from log pile or from bush
3. a little brush work
#1 I would use the BH. A grapple is terrible at that task unless the stumps/roots are small like 3 inches or less based on my experience with my Artillian Grapple.

#2. Grapple is awesome for this task. A thumb on a BH would be slow, if you are moving the load beyond the normal range of the BH, in other words you have to move the tractor. It can pick it up but then trying to move the log any distance would be interesting. I don't own a BH but I have never seen anyone use a BH to move things any distance, just pick up and move to the side and dump.

#3. Grapple is awesome for the task as well.

If you are getting a grapple I would consider a third function valve or a diverter a much cheaper set up than what you are proposing. Can't help you with the Canadian GST though.

Reactions: gmissed

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
You are just about right on for the grapple. I just bought the HLA 54” light duty one you are talking about. It was $2875 with taxes and shipping to New Brunswick.
Just wondering who you bought your HLA from. When I called them they wouldn't sell me privately and said I would need to buy from a distributor. Would love to see your grapple in action.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts