Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That moment when you realize you should have bought a grapple.

IMG_0792.JPG

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Everyone should have one. . .

Spent part of yesterday and today cleaning up downed trees. I have to say, the grapple at least doubled the amount I got done, plus while I was tired at the end of the day it was a manageable tired, not lay down and die tired.

I don't think I will ever, ever own another tractor with a FEL unless it has a grapple or I already have a tractor with a grapple. Pick up brush, grab logs and move or load them, hold a log for cutting into firewood are all right in the grapple ballpark.

I'm sure there are better grapples available, like Artillian but even my old resurrected mini skid steer grapple has just been incredibly useful.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
124 Posts
Anyone buying a tractor, it should be the first thing to add. Everything Attachments “rocks”

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
829 Posts
I like mine. :)

What else could dig out a tree by the roots then pick it up and carry it to the brush pile?

20190611_184429.jpg

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Love a grapple

I agree that if you need to move odd sized material like brush, rocks, logs etc. a grapple is just the best thing around. One thing I recently noticed by accident. If you use a diverter valve on the tilt circuit, you have to be aware of the regen function. It really jumped out at me when my brother used my tractor and when he put the grapple back on, the hoses were backwards. I only needed to move one thing and thought I would just work it backwards. Opening the grapple gave me a surprise as it started to open and then slid closed. A second's thought showed that the regen was letting it close by gravity and when I pushed the control all the way over it was ok.

I've got a relatively small cylinder on my grapple and when it's hooked up correctly, I don't usually notice the issue as gravity close and powered close are pretty much the same. However, I have dropped material because I didn't wait for the grapple to clamp firmly. If I roll the grapple over so the grapple clamping force is horizontal instead of vertical, it's a non issue because I can see the material squash down or move due to the clamp.

I understand that regen gives a quicker dump action when using the bucket but sometimes I think it causes more trouble than it's worth. :dunno:

In any case, if you need to move brush, logs, piles of bulky stuff a grapple is the ticket. They are pricey when you add in the diverter valve, hoses, grapple itself but oh man, they are useful.

Treefarmer

Reactions: Levi, DanW and rtgt

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
I bought an Artillian. It has been incredibly useful. It spends at least as much time on the FEL as the bucket. Maybe more. I loaded my response up with a bunch of different pictures just to show how many different uses this thing has. It’s been great for brush, but it is capable of grabbing a bunch of other stuff as well.

View attachment 701970

View attachment 701974

20BAB7C3-C964-4012-B040-53139DDB784A.jpeg

367846C3-F8BD-4CF8-AD5F-D57DFBBAE40C.jpeg

D5EF8AAD-9F0C-4C2F-AE46-EDAB69DA6F7A.jpeg

65224B15-DBC2-402C-BC7D-F8850AF29F89.jpeg

12198E70-940A-468E-89FA-D44F57B76827.jpeg

·
Premium Member
321 Posts
Nice. Write up.

I am in the process of trading our 1023E for a new 2038R and I absolutely want a grapple for the 2038R.
I am a bit torn here on what is the best way to go about controlling the grapple.

The dealer can add the 3rd hydraulic service to the 2038R for about what I am seeing pricing for the Artillian diverter kits.
So I am not sure why so many guys seem to be going the Artillian route vs the JD 3rd service. Granted the 3rd service ports are on the rear, doesn't look that difficult to route up to the front with some hoses and hose clamps and zip ties.

Has anyone tried using a grapple with both options. Any thoughts on which one is best. Cost seems to be about the same.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
23,056 Posts
I bought an Artillian. It has been incredibly useful. It spends at least as much time on the FEL as the bucket. Maybe more. I loaded my response up with a bunch of different pictures just to show how many different uses this thing has. It’s been great for brush, but it is capable of grabbing a bunch of other stuff as well.
Great examples!

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
My needs are such that I doubt that I'd need/want a full grapple, cool as they are. I'm kind of looking around at potentially adding a thumb to the frame of my current forks, at less than 1/4 the price. I'd have to add in the price for some level of fabrication, but I have some very talented fabrication places around here.

The Thumb...Shop Online

·
Registered
1,688 Posts
My needs are such that I doubt that I'd need/want a full grapple, cool as they are. I'm kind of looking around at potentially adding a thumb to the frame of my current forks, at less than 1/4 the price. I'd have to add in the price for some level of fabrication, but I have some very talented fabrication places around here.

The Thumb...Shop Online

I'm intrigued by this concept....

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Suggestions

Folks,
I'm thinking of getting a grapple for my 1025R and I am currently interested in the Frontier AV20F for a couple of reasons. 1) it's light weight (although I understand there was a recall). 2) Although I really like the Artillian solution, I already have the Frontier pallet forks and can't justify buying another frame. My current thought is to go with the Artillian diverter kit although I'm not too crazy about the switch and how it's mounted. I know some folks found alternative joysticks with the momentary built in but I was having trouble finding one that was mounted to a 1025R.
Any thoughts or suggestions?
This forum has been an absolute wealth of information and I really respect the people who are on it.

Ed T

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Depends on the use

I'm intrigued by this concept....

I'm always sensitive to price but in my case, the grapple was resurrected from a wrecked stand on skid steer and bought very inexpensively. I did spend a lot of time and effort straightening it and had to have a welding/fabrication shop swap the mounting but I have little money in the grapple per se, way less than I do in the diverter valve.

I spend as much time cleaning up brush as anything else and I don't think the fork setup is ideal for that. I scrape the along the ground with the bottom part of the grapple until I clean the area or the pile gets big. Then I roll the grapple over so the clamping frame and bottom frame meet at ground level. I don't think you could do that with forks that extend a foot or so past the grapple clamp.

I also like using the grapple to place logs on a trailer. I can usually put them almost exactly where I want without dropping them. That saves wear and tear on the trailer and on my nerves as well. I've got control of that log all the way down rather than letting it roll down the forks and hope it stops in the right place. The clamp on the forks would basically give you one fairly narrow hold. While I'm pretty good at getting in the middle of a log, with that setup you'd have to be almost perfect and get the weight on each end balanced.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
5,650 Posts
Switch

Folks,
I'm thinking of getting a grapple for my 1025R and I am currently interested in the Frontier AV20F for a couple of reasons. 1) it's light weight (although I understand there was a recall). 2) Although I really like the Artillian solution, I already have the Frontier pallet forks and can't justify buying another frame. My current thought is to go with the Artillian diverter kit although I'm not too crazy about the switch and how it's mounted. I know some folks found alternative joysticks with the momentary built in but I was having trouble finding one that was mounted to a 1025R.
This forum has been an absolute wealth of information and I really respect the people who are on it.

Ed T
Although I agree the Artillian switch looks a little cheesy, mine has worked well- knock on wood. I moved it slightly a couple of times until it fit my hand and have no complaints at all about using it. It ain't sexy but it works well and that's good enough for me. I wouldn't hold up purchase looking for a different switch as that can be changed at any time. While you are looking for a different switch, you could be using the grapple. . .

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Nice. Write up.

I am in the process of trading our 1023E for a new 2038R and I absolutely want a grapple for the 2038R.
I am a bit torn here on what is the best way to go about controlling the grapple.

The dealer can add the 3rd hydraulic service to the 2038R for about what I am seeing pricing for the Artillian diverter kits.
So I am not sure why so many guys seem to be going the Artillian route vs the JD 3rd service. Granted the 3rd service ports are on the rear, doesn't look that difficult to route up to the front with some hoses and hose clamps and zip ties.

Has anyone tried using a grapple with both options. Any thoughts on which one is best. Cost seems to be about the same.
My salesman told me I couldn’t put both the JD rear hydraulics and the power beyond kit on, and I needed power beyond for the backhoe.

Reactions: cc1999

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
JD grapple I bought last year. Works great. View attachment 702002

Don't know why the picture is 90 degrees off it isn't in my folder.
I had the same thing happen to me the other day when trying to post a picture. I even rotated it in my folder in an attempt to fool the forum software. No good. I walked away, came back later and everything posted just fine on the next try.

And today, all my pictures showed up just fine in preview, but when I posted, two of them came up as links. :unknown:

·
Premium Member
122 Posts
Folks,

Ed T
I was a little concerned about that too, but it is mounted so I can hit it with my thumb. It makes working all the functions fast and easy. The hardest part is remembering to lift my big fat thumb off the switch before I start moving the lever if I don’t want to do something stupid.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Although I agree the Artillian switch looks a little cheesy, mine has worked well- knock on wood. I moved it slightly a couple of times until it fit my hand and have no complaints at all about using it. It ain't sexy but it works well and that's good enough for me. I wouldn't hold up purchase looking for a different switch as that can be changed at any time. While you are looking for a different switch, you could be using the grapple. . .

Treefarmer
Excellent point! Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
152 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I was a little concerned about that too, but it is mounted so I can hit it with my thumb. It makes working all the functions fast and easy. The hardest part is remembering to lift my big fat thumb off the switch before I start moving the lever if I don’t want to do something stupid.
Thanks! I think I'll give it a try before worrying about replacing it.

Reactions: WilliamT.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts