Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to design and build myself a grapple for my 2038r. Lightness is of utmost concern so it'll be of ar400. I've only used the short tine grapples but it was on a terex loader and could easily push 60' tall trees out of the ground, not a fair comparison. I'm thinking one with the long tines and single lid. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I do engineering and own a CNC cutting company. Please give me opinions. I want this to be the absolute best and lightest grapple for this machine, no compromises.

Patrick

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
I'm going to design and build myself a grapple for my 2038r. Lightness is of utmost concern so it'll be of ar400. I've only used the short tine grapples but it was on a terex loader and could easily push 60' tall trees out of the ground, not a fair comparison. I'm thinking one with the long tines and single lid. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

I do engineering and own a CNC cutting company. Please give me opinions. I want this to be the absolute best and lightest grapple for this machine, no compromises.

Patrick
I have the Everything Attachments 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple, which I love.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAVl9be0y7Q

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCR2u_u0hk4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URe8E7mBSmc&t=35s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjKAubBYKgE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnVqubZJygY

Sincerely

Attachments

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I have an artillian grapple with a single lid. It's modular and at one time was one of the lightest on the market, it probably still is. With your 2038R I wouldn't be too concerned about being super light. Your FEL lifts quite a bit. If your only experience was with a skidsteer grapple, skidsteer attachments tend to be much heavier than tractor implements because they are usually way more powerful piece of equipment.

You need to figure out what you are going to use the grapple for in order to decide how big your tines will be. I use mine for lifting logs, tree debris, construction debris but I also use it as a root rake for getting rid of undergrowth and also as a poor man's rake to level out ground. I do that when I am too lazy to get my land plane or land scape rake hooked up.

I think the most important thing to get right is the thickness of the tines and how big/powerful your hydraulic cylinder is going to be. The one for mine is good but it's definitely a light duty type of cylinder since it isn't that big. It does a great job for what is designed for.

You also need to decide if you want a third function valve or just a diverter valve to power it. I have had both and am currently running a third function valve. I like it better but you have to get used to its responsiveness. It will beat the grapple up a bit if I am not deliberate with it. It is just way more responsive than a diverter valve in my experience.

As far as making it modular, I wouldn't bother with doing that it unless you are truly going to use the mounting frame for other uses, like mounting forks. I never take mine off the mounting frame so being modular is not something that is important to me, in fact it's kind of PIA at times because the locking keys do not always work correctly on mine and sometimes the rakes will fall off.

Anyways good luck with your project, you appear to have the correct tools to make one. :bigthumb:

·
Administrator
18,465 Posts

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
I have the Artillian model on my 2032r which is very similar to your newer 38r-you should come and give it a test run. Bring your note pad and measuring tape.:hi:

·
Premium Member
10,107 Posts
I also have the Artillian Grapple.

It was purchased for a smaller tractor loader but does a fine job on my 3R.

20170826_145717.jpg

69project - bolt the beds and the grapple section together and that will help keep the keys in place and end sections from falling off.

If i was buying for the tractor/loader I have now I would look harder the EA model.

What I like more about the Artillian design is the bed. Once you clamp the load and roll back the bucket the bed supports the load. The clamp just keeps it in place.

With your tooling and fab capability, I would google grapple images and see what tickles your fancy.

Looking forward to what you come up with.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thank you HomesteadJoe you have some very nice videos. I can't get a clear view but did you bypass the factory ag quick connect right before your single point hydraulic block? Or is that the 3rd function I see?
If you would post a picture I would appreciate it.

Thank you

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
In addition to studying the EA and Artillian design options, here are some threads on TBN that may be helpful:

Grapple project OPEN SOURCE

Simple Grapple Design done!
Thank you.
I just skimmed all of those. Lots of good info. One member getting way too caught up in the math when there isn't even goal set.

I'm most interested in what shape works best. I'm thinking long tines. One or two lids? I may just build one of each. A friend gave me a short tine grapple but it's too heavy for my tractor at 600lbs.

The design is fun for me. Simple as that

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
I also have the Artillian Grapple.

It was purchased for a smaller tractor loader but does a fine job on my 3R.

View attachment 564617

69project - bolt the beds and the grapple section together and that will help keep the keys in place and end sections from falling off.

Looking forward to what you come up with.

I probably need to do that. I have a mix of factory keys and then some hitch pins that currently replace the broken factory keys. I tend to lose an end section, and its becoming more frequent. What is ironic is the end that keeps falling off is the one with the new and improved keys. Weird. I might as well make them permanently attached as I do not ever intend to remove it off the mounting frame. Do you leave any sort of gap between the ends and the grapple or do you make them as tight as possible?

To the OP there have been several folks who have fabbed up their own grapple on this forum if you are looking for design ideas. WR Long also has some on their website if you are looking for ideas. Lastly, I was reading a post on here where someone either fabbed a lid for their bucket or bought a set up like that. They were very happy with it. That would not work for me because the debris pile I work on also has a lot of dirt mixed in, I just want the wood so I can take to my burn pile.

Reactions: greenharley

·
Premium Member
1,907 Posts
Thank you HomesteadJoe you have some very nice videos. I can't get a clear view but did you bypass the factory ag quick connect right before your single point hydraulic block? Or is that the 3rd function I see?
If you would post a picture I would appreciate it.

Thank you

It’s the WR Long 3rd function hydraulics.
Zoom into this photo and see.

Also, Check out this video I made for installing the WR Long 3rd function hydraulics.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbRzlQytrVA

Sincerely

Attachments

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Thank you. I may take you up on that next decent day we have that I can get away.

Just send me a PM, I’ll ha have the :bigbeer: cold.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts