Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I started on my grapple frame this past weekend and have the bottom part mostly done. I decided to build my own mostly b/c I'm on a fixed income and don't have a lot of money to spend on implements and we all know that they can get expensive :gizmo: I have always been the kind of person that likes to build things from scratch when possible and after looking at quite a few grapples, I decided it was something I would attempt. After I get the hook and pins on, I will get started on the lid. If anyone has suggestions on improvements please let me know

Thanks

Darrin

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
Interesting I'll be watching. I have the grapple from CTA and with the Artillian dirvertor it was roughly 2000$ Good luck. :munch::munch:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
If anyone has suggestions on improvements please let me know

Thanks

Darrin
Id advise additional vertical support of the backrest, specifically "boxing in" the ends of the tubes with flat stock/plate or better yet angle or channel iron. Then either some gussets or additional interior supports, particularly to prevent your load from poking thru the frame and getting to your loader arms or grille.

Looking nice so far thought!:good2:

·
Registered
120 Posts
Interesting I'll be watching. I have the grapple from CTA and with the Artillian dirvertor it was roughly 2000$ Good luck. :munch::munch:
I love my CTA grapple--simply awesome! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Id advise additional vertical support of the backrest, specifically "boxing in" the ends of the tubes with flat stock/plate or better yet angle or channel iron. Then either some gussets or additional interior supports, particularly to prevent your load from poking thru the frame and getting to your loader arms or grille.

Looking nice so far thought!:good2:
Boxing in the ends is something I didnt think about, thanks. I do have a piece of expanded metal I was going to use to cover the back and have some 1" square tubing I am going to make 45 degree bracing to limit side motion. I guess I should have mentioned that before, huh?? :banghead::lolol:

·
Registered
1,973 Posts
Boxing in the ends is something I didnt think about, thanks. I do have a piece of expanded metal I was going to use to cover the back and have some 1" square tubing I am going to make 45 degree bracing to limit side motion. I guess I should have mentioned that before, huh?? :banghead::lolol:
You did say it was an unfinished work in progress, to me that counts. Your two ideas and finding something to box in the ends should be all it needs. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
234 Posts
I started on my grapple frame this past weekend and have the bottom part mostly done. I decided to build my own mostly b/c I'm on a fixed income and don't have a lot of money to spend on implements and we all know that they can get expensive
I have always been the kind of person that likes to build things from scratch when possible and after looking at quite a few grapples, I decided it was something I would attempt. After I get the hook and pins on, I will get started on the lid. If anyone has suggestions on improvements please let me know

Thanks

Darrin
subscribed! I'll watch this build with child-like anticipation.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Gentlemanfarmer- very good so far. I needed ideas on mine and I did a lot of looking online at different designs and other people's builds.
Here are links to other grapple builds:

Mine--- http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/metalworking-fabrication/16716-my-grapple-project.html

The thread that inspired me----- http://www.greentractortalk.com/forums/metalworking-fabrication/12849-new-project-brush-grapple.html

There are other homemade grapple threads on here you can find with a search. Good luck!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Got the grapple working

Well after many days of not being able to work on it too much, I finally have it nearly finished. It's mostly finishing touches I need to do but it's working. I ran into some hyd cylinder geometry issues but once I worked those out it actually operates pretty smooth. I have all the hydraulics on the tractor done except the switch on the scv lever to figure out.I did rig up a switch to test it out.

Attachments

·
Registered
702 Posts
That looks really good!!!! You got a lot more professional than I did on the hydraulics. Mine are just tee'd into the rear scv. Congrats on an excellent build.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hydraulics

I would have most likely done the hydraulics the same way you did mtrmn if I had rear ones installed. I started from scratch with auxiliary hyd so I just got the parts and pieces together and put them on the front. I hope to add rear scv's in the future b/c I would like to have an adjustable top link. Thanks for the compliment, it has been awhile since I have done any fab work.

·
Registered
702 Posts
Kind of a pain to turn loose of the FEL controls to grab the SCV control to open/close the grapple, but I've gotten so used to it now I don't even notice the time delays it causes.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Need to mount switch

I still need to figure a way to mount a switch to the fel handle right now it's just temp wired in I don't want to spend a fortune on a handle with a switch ( well I couldn't afford to if I wanted) the prices of some of those things are crazy. Do you have any ideas??

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #16

·
Registered
150 Posts
When I built my grapple,
I bought a forward/nuetral/reverse knob from the dealer.
Mounted a small momentary button switch inside of it, and mounted it onto the loader control in replace of the black ball knob.
Works fantastic and only cost about $10 and some creative time.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good Idea

When I built my grapple,
Mounted a small momentary button switch inside of it, and mounted it onto the loader control in replace of the black ball knob.
Interesting idea, if what I ordered doesn't work I will definitely try that. I ordered a switch for a motorcycle start button and plan on making a bushing for it to fit the shaft part of the control handle.

·
Premium Member
2,046 Posts
When I built my grapple,
Do you have the part number for the knob you used?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I HEARD 3D Printer! What I love about my 3D is the ability to do these kinds of one off projects. You have to be able to draw it in 3D software before you can print it, or find a part someone has already made on https://www.thingiverse.com/.

I have repaired tools, watches (believe it or not) and made gadgets that I never would have done without the printer (including the Bucket Level Indicator that is posted on another thread).

But! I have never made a grapple!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts