Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
having a 3rd function hydralics added to my 3038 at JD dealer. looking at grapplers. How big? I see 48" 60" and 72". inclined towards the 60 or 72 inch???

·
Registered
568 Posts
what are you going to do with it?

Moving rocks? bigger only better when talking about how big the opening in the jaws are, otherwise that will limit your lift size. You might be limited by your tractors lift ability on weight/size of rocks anyways.

Moving logs? wider grapple not much of an advantage in log lifting

Moving brush? Wider grapple would be an advantage, weight not an issue but how much you can grab is the ticket.

I have a 55" grapple that I had on a 4610 1st, used it for all the above. On rock lifting the tractor could lift the largest rocks I had (approx. 3000lbs) but I couldn't fit the grapple around them to pick them up, I had to use a sling to lift and move.

I have since put the same grapple on a smaller 2720 and use it mostly for logs. The tractor limits out well before the grapple will.
One nice thing about grapples for moving logs is you can grab them by the end and lift/move them, helps in stacking.

woods 003.JPG

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
grappler

moving lots of brush and cleared/downed trees. had about 7 acres cleared with a giant piece of equipment. a front mount brush hog that could rise about 12 to 15 feet and then slowly lower down on trees up to 5" in diameter. Then had a pond area dug out with a large excavator with a thumb for removing large trees. I now have a lot of brush and a huge pile of large trees that I need to clear. I am leaning towards the 60" grappler. Thanks for response. Bill T in SW MI

·
Registered
402 Posts
I would not go larger than a 60".

Not sure how your 3038 compares to my 4310. My tractor is 32 hp at 3000 lbs. and light in the rear. I think my 60" MTL rock/root type grapple would tip the scales around 500 lbs. Had to add 1000 lb plus of ballast in the rear. A full load of muddy roots will max out my lifting capability.

I bought the rock/root design thinking it would be better for sifting dirt out while holding smaller debris. I have trouble getting wet dirt to come out. I might have been better off with a lighter weight root type.

·
Registered
12,618 Posts
moving lots of brush and cleared/downed trees. had about 7 acres cleared with a giant piece of equipment. a front mount brush hog that could rise about 12 to 15 feet and then slowly lower down on trees up to 5" in diameter. Then had a pond area dug out with a large excavator with a thumb for removing large trees. I now have a lot of brush and a huge pile of large trees that I need to clear. I am leaning towards the 60" grappler. Thanks for response. Bill T in SW MI
this fella added a grapple to his 3038E--lots of videos to watch of him using it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUcvFoGcCg4
only thing i wouldn't care for is where u have to reach to shut the lid of the grapple at. i asked him after a couple of videos if he wished he would went with a diverter instead. he said after being used to it now-no. but if he had gotten the diverter first-probably.

with the diverter u can then add that to ur joystick, IMO--would be a lot nicer for using it(grapple)

·
Premium Member
2,795 Posts
I have the 55" CTA grapple. I first had it on my 1025 now on my 2038R. Its been pleanty big for any thing I wanted to do with it.

·
Registered
141 Posts
I have a Wicked Grapple 55" from Everything Attachments on my 3025E. It's amazing! This thing is so solidly built and lightweight. I can't imagine not having it now... it's so useful for so many tasks.

·
Registered
1,428 Posts
I have an artillian on my 3025E. I transferred it from my 2210. Presently I only use the grapple and no rakes with it. Width really isn't that big of deal unless you are moving a lot of logs, then a wider grapple will help with balance. I would be concerned about the weight of the grapple. Even though you are getting the 3E model with the most HP, it still can only pick up just under 1200 lbs with the FEL. So to me it doesn't make sense to get a grapple that weighs a lot for this tractor. I would thing the Everything attachments 55 inch grapple would be a perfect fit. My artillian is a little too light I think for the 3 series. I am running a 3rd function valve on it and it slams the jaws pretty good and then the fact I have a much bigger tractor behind it all adds to the stress on the grapple. Mine is definitely worn.

Good luck with your search.

Reactions: BigJim55

·
Registered
568 Posts
this fella added a grapple to his 3038E--lots of videos to watch of him using it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUcvFoGcCg4
only thing i wouldn't care for is where u have to reach to shut the lid of the grapple at. i asked him after a couple of videos if he wished he would went with a diverter instead. he said after being used to it now-no. but if he had gotten the diverter first-probably.

with the diverter u can then add that to ur joystick, IMO--would be a lot nicer for using it(grapple)
Big Jim has a good point here.

I have the diverter with the switch on the joy stick.

Its much quicker and easier.

If the only reason for the 3rd function was to operate a grapple I'd go with a diverter instead.

·
Premium Member
10,129 Posts
My grapple is on the loader 90% of the time.

Single original Artillian grapple between two "beds".

It is on a 3039R.

I work the snot out of it.

·
Premium Member
1,913 Posts
I have the Everything Attachments 55" Wicked Root Rake Grapple installed on my 2038R. Best Rated 55 Inch Wicked Root Rake Grapple from Everything Attachments

It does everything I ask from it. Biggest advantage is that it only weighs 200 lbs so it maximizes the remaining useable weight capacity of the front end loader. In other words, the more the grapple weighs, the less you can pick up with it. Below are some links to videos I have posted on YouTube. Check it out for yourself in action! Enjoy!

John Deere 2038R with 55 Wicked Root Grapple Tackling Big Log - YouTube

John Deere 2038R logging with 55 Wicked Root Grapple - YouTube

Homestead Joe Moving a Boulder with 2038R EA 55” Wicked Root Rake Grapple - YouTube

Homestead Joe Logging with 2038R EA 55” Wicked Root Rake Grapple - YouTube

HomesteadJoe and 2038R using EA 55” Wicked Root Rake Grapple moving some brush - YouTube

HomesteadJoe 2038R Grapple Work - YouTube

HomesteadJoe 2038R Grapple Work - YouTube

Installing WR Long 3rd Function Hydraulics on 2017 John Deere 2038R - YouTube

John Deere 2038R - YouTube

Sincerely

Reactions: goat704! and Whoops

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'll 2nd the 'less weight to lift more' comment!

grapple.jpg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts