Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've decided to get a grapple before spring. I'm not sure which type would be the best for me... the kind like the Frontier ones, I think they are called a rake grapple??
or the kind that looks like a rock bucket with jaws. I would mainly use it for cleanup of trees and brush.
The other little concern is that I have a 400cx loader. It is self leveling, so I'm wondering which type would work better with the loader. The people that have 400cx's will know what I'm talking about... When you roll the bucket all the way forward, the loader will bind when you lift up.
I would probably buy a frontier, but I have SSQA.
There is a new product called the "wicked grapple from Everything attachments" . It looks pretty interesting. It's pretty cheap and light also. I would like to stay in the 500-600 pound range

My real questions are:
1) which style would work best for brusk and trees
2) Is a 2 jaw design better.
3) is it good to have the width cover the wheel track like a bucket?
4) What kind of feedback you you guys have with Everything Attachments

Of course, any feedback or suggestions would be wellcome:thumbup1gif:

Reactions: DocDryden

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
Reactions: arlen

·
Administrator
18,543 Posts
Look at the WR Long offerings as well: Grapples

My real questions are:

1) That can be debated to the cows come home...
2) A single thumb is fine for just about anything-two just adds weight and cost IMHO.
3) I am in the camp that says you do not need one to cover your tracks, 48" is great-but since you have decent lift capacity a 60" would be a good fit.
4) Nothing personal, but from what I read it's 99% positive. A few threads on TBN got totally blown out of proportion that might suggest otherwise, but I don't think so.

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
I've decided to get a grapple before spring. I'm not sure which type would be the best for me... the kind like the Frontier ones, I think they are called a rake grapple??
or the kind that looks like a rock bucket with jaws. I would mainly use it for cleanup of trees and brush.
The other little concern is that I have a 400cx loader. It is self leveling, so I'm wondering which type would work better with the loader. The people that have 400cx's will know what I'm talking about... When you roll the bucket all the way forward, the loader will bind when you lift up.
I would probably buy a frontier, but I have SSQA.
There is a new product called the "wicked grapple from Everything attachments" . It looks pretty interesting. It's pretty cheap and light also. I would like to stay in the 500-600 pound range

My real questions are:

Of course, any feedback or suggestions would be wellcome:thumbup1gif:
1) I think both work good for trees and brush. Rake type is better for digging roots
2) Maybe for odd shaped items (broken concrete slabs) or if you have a wide grapple, for a narrow grapple one is fine.
3) Not neccessary. Narrow will fit in tight spots, (up until the front tires will not) require less force to dig with.
4) EA will treat you right. They are contemplating selling "DIY" attachments. A kit precut, drilled as required. Just weld and paint. Said it will be at a considerable savings. Plus a chance to custumise if you think you have a better idea.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Check out the Frontier AV20 Series root grapples. I have one for my 300CX loader and love it. JD has a bunch of grapples. They have one that is basically your loader bucket with some clamps on the top and a rock grapple. For me, the rock grapple was too expensive and I didn't want the bucket grapple because I wanted loose dirt to fall out the bottom when I grabbed debris. The AV20 grapples were the sweet spot between the two. I think mine was around 2k and has one clamp on top. For 400 loaders you can probably step up to two independent clamps. They look awesome.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359321466.533966.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1359321504.738587.jpg

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Check out the Frontier AV20 Series root grapples.
I do like the Frontiers, Like I said in my post, I would probably buy one, but I have the skid steer mounts on my 400cx. I have considered modifying the mount to make one work on my loader, but there seems to be lots of other options with similar geometry to the Frontier.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I've spent most of the weekend reseaching grapples. Thanks for the links robpm :good2:. I think I'm leaning to an Anbo 5 foot G-RS. It's a little heavy at 680 pounds, but I think it needs to be pretty heavy or the 4720 will tear it up.
Anbo also has a general purpose grapple UT-X (61 inch) that I'm considering that is 530 pounds.
It has the flatter bottom. I'm still struggling with which style would be better for my uses (and loader).

The Ranch Rake is also nice. There is a dealer about 100 miles away. I'm going to get a quote from them.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I finished the same research and decision process that you are going through just three weeks ago.

I also have a JD 4720 with the 400CX as well. I narrowed it down to the Anbo GR-S or the BoDozer Grapple from Borgford Design. Borgford was the Bo of Anbo before it split and went big corporation. Spent time talking with both companies and they both make a good grapple. Both are still made in the same town. Both designs are similar and not at all like the Wicked and that style. Borgford's web site say the grapple is A514 steel but needs updating. He says he is now using a steel from Sweden which is even better. Stuff called Weldox.

WELDOX - Weldox

I was pretty impressed with both grapples but think the weldox is better for the grapple purpose than the AR400 of the Anbo grapple. I like the design of the Bodozer just a bit better as well.
I went with the BoDozer and should have it in a little over a week hopefully. Weight should be just a little less than the Anbo but he will scale it for me before he brings it over.
I don't know how much of a hurry you are in but I will let you know how I like it when it arrives. On top of that he uses two paints. Both John Deere paints. Black and green. Guess which color mine will be.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
I like the BoDozer Grapple from Borgford Design. I like that they will paint it green too.:thumbup1gif: ANBO has more selections instead of just one. I am guessing that this selection is good for the 400CX FEL and a 4720. I like the lighter weights with the more selections for the smaller and less HP CUT's.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I finished the same research and decision process that you are going through just three weeks ago.

I also have a JD 4720 with the 400CX as well. I narrowed it down to the Anbo GR-S or the BoDozer Grapple from Borgford Design. Borgford was the Bo of Anbo before it split and went big corporation. Spent time talking with both companies and they both make a good grapple. Both are still made in the same town. Both designs are similar and not at all like the Wicked and that style. Borgford's web site say the grapple is A514 steel but needs updating. He says he is now using a steel from Sweden which is even better. Stuff called Weldox.

WELDOX - Weldox

I was pretty impressed with both grapples but think the weldox is better for the grapple purpose than the AR400 of the Anbo grapple. I like the design of the Bodozer just a bit better as well.
I went with the BoDozer and should have it in a little over a week hopefully. Weight should be just a little less than the Anbo but he will scale it for me before he brings it over.
I don't know how much of a hurry you are in but I will let you know how I like it when it arrives. On top of that he uses two paints. Both John Deere paints. Black and green. Guess which color mine will be.
Thanks for the info, I will definately wait until I get your opinion on it with the 4720/400cx combo. I just want to have something in hand in 6 or 8 weeks . Did you go with a 5 foot model.
Hopefully,, shipping to Minnesota won't be too bad. I do like the Bodozer better as well. I'm still wondering if the root grapple (flat bottom) would be better for brush than the rake grapple ( like the Bodozer). What was your thought process on that? I've asked for a quote from Bodozer, What price range should I expect?
Gotta love this forum:dance::dance::dance:

I'm familiar with Weldox, I used to work for a refuse truck factory. We used weldox on the packer bodies. It came with a pink primer on it. We used AR500 before that.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Thanks for the info, I will definately wait until I get your opinion on it with the 4720/400cx combo. I just want to have something in hand in 6 or 8 weeks . Did you go with a 5 foot model.
Hopefully,, shipping to Minnesota won't be too bad. I do like the Bodozer better as well. I'm still wondering if the root grapple (flat bottom) would be better for brush than the rake grapple ( like the Bodozer). What was your thought process on that? I've asked for a quote from Bodozer, What price range should I expect?
Gotta love this forum:dance::dance::dance:

I'm familiar with Weldox, I used to work for a refuse truck factory. We used weldox on the packer bodies. It came with a pink primer on it. We used AR500 before that.
I was going to go with the 72"/6ft model. The owner talked me down to the 66"/5.5ft model. He said it would do everything I wanted to do and would save me $250 bucks as well as reduce the weight just a little. I looked at the flat bottom design and was adamantly against them for my application. I am doing cleanup of a medium size area that last winter had an ice storm take out 90% of the existing 6-8" dbh hardwood. I could not see how the flat bottom would work for what I was going to use it for. I actually do not see what good they are for anything other than carrying stuff around that you put in them. The tines are too short before the first reinforcement which limits the ability to get underneath without interference from the lateral support. Both the Anbo and the Bodozer have a nice long tines that can get well under whatever you want without interference from the support bar. They are also made with a lot thicker tines thus need less support. One well known company was bragging how they reduced the weight down by switching to 5/16" from 3/8" tine thickness. Wow that is a help! In addition the tine spacing is much closer than the other designs. Helps keep stuff that is picked up from falling out. Hopefully you should get a price quote back soon. Assuming you get the same size, I would expect it to be a bit over 4 with the shipping to your locale. I am paying a little under 4. Problem is I do not know what shipping will run to Minnesota. You can certainly get less expensive but I knew that I would not be happy with any of the ones I found. If you get a smaller one I have no idea how much less they would be but several hundred since there was a 250 difference from 72" to 66". (I know there are many opinions on size but I would not get anything less than 66" for a 4720, again depends on how you will use it.) I know they were having some email problems so if you sent your quote request by email and do not get a response let me know I have alternative emails for them. (I had a problem with the one address where my email disappeared in the ether but it should be fixed by now.)

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I talked to Dale, the BoDozer man himself. He sent me some updated pictures. The pictures on his website are a little dated; the design has changed a bit It seems like a real nice product, and Dale seems to know grapples.
I sure like the green one:dance:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,943 Posts
You might want to check out RakeMaster. They are made in FL. Sorry I do not have any pictures of mine (lost them all when Hard Drive died) They ({mine}, may have other models) look similar to the BoDozer

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
You might want to check out RakeMaster. They are made in FL. Sorry I do not have any pictures of mine (lost them all when Hard Drive died) They ({mine}, may have other models) look similar to the BoDozer
I like it. It looks strong and the video is helpful as well. I like the BoDozer too but both of them are too heavy for my 990 with 300CX at 650lbs or more.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts