Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have a 2019 1025R MMM with mulching kit installed

All of a sudden we have thick dead grass clippings on front of tractor and the screen that protects the radiator. Can’t even mow a ¼ acre without blowing it all off. I did my service and changed the paper filter. Made sure the MMM was set correctly.

Reached out to the Dealer and he had no idea what was happening. We are getting covered in dirt. Does anyone know what is going on and how to fix it?
Green Vehicle Motor vehicle Plant Automotive tire

·
Registered
2020 1025R
720 Posts
Happens to me all the time. When it gets excessive, I either blow it off with a leaf blower or hit it with my pressure washer. It gets really bad when we've had a lot of dry weather. I also pop out the screen in front of the radiator after every mow and rinse it off.

Best,

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
Plant some seed, water the lawn, get rid of the clover, let the grass grow, then cut it to a two (2) inch height.

·
Registered
1,389 Posts
Not the tractors fault the screen is doings it’s job. Will have to clean it off every so often. Noticed the white clover in the lawn more then likely that’s where the dust/weed seed is coming from. To stop it spray the lawn with some 2-4-D. White clover is hard to get under control.
Yup, looks normal. Get rid of the weeds and that'll reduce the chaff in the air.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
I prefer Blacktop painted green instead of grass. Same issue with both my 1026R and the 445.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Here is mine after a little mowing this morning. I also have the mulching plate kit installed. Lots of white clover and dandelions in my pasture, but the horses love the clover and it's good for the nitrogen, so I let it all live. I hang an electric leaf blower on the back, and just pause, raise the hood, and blow it out from the back when the temperature gauge starts to creep up.
Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood Automotive tire Automotive design

·
Premium Member
2,565 Posts
I thought clover gave horses a tummy acke

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
I thought clover gave horses a tummy acke
Clover (whit and red) is good pasture feed (in moderation) for horses. But red and white clovers can become infected with a fungus, and the fungus produces a toxin that causes problems. A third type of clover, alsike clover, looks like white clover until examined closely, and can cause rapid and fatal liver failure in horses. Alsike clover is sometimes included in deer food plot mixes.

·
Registered
77 Posts
What I’ve noticed is that it is partly the exhaust that causes this. As you are driving forward, and the exhaust is blowing forward, it blows any chaff straight into the air in front of the tractor.
Obviously drier weather, more lightweight dry clippings or dust is caused, along with what is growing or being cut as mentioned by previous posters.
So a few other things can change this, which may have differed from your previous mowing:
The speed, that you drive into the chaff cloud blown up in front of you
Front implements redirecting or reflecting the exhaust,
The rpm’s perhaps, blowing more or less exhaust and changing fan speed

I have yet to try deflecting or redirecting the exhaust sideways with chrome or rubber or silicone pipe or hoses as per many other posts e.g

for anyone who’s modded their exhaust, does it reduce the grille choking with chaff?

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I mow around 3” and yes the white clover has become abundant this year, along with a lot of other weeds. Clover is nitrogen fixating. I’ve never had it happen as fast as it has been doing and we’ve been getting rain, as well as a lot of pollen. It had been really windy the last couple times we’ve mowed. It’s that time of year here in NC.

2,4-D Amine is on my chore list for the entire yard, I missed spraying all the wild garlic earlier this year, so have to wait until the fall for it. I really need to learn how to final grade. We can’t find a grader who’s not backlogged a couple years.
Thanks y’all!

·
Premium Member
1025r with Mauser cab.
14,480 Posts
The mulch kit doesn't permit the clippings to be discharged from under the deck out the discharge chute, so the debris keeps circulating under the deck. It often leaks out from the front and sides of the deck. The pull of the cooling fan lifts the debris and pulls it right to the front and side panels as well as pulling it straight up under the tractor and sticking to the radiator screen in front of the radiator. Add in the exhaust stirring up the dust and light debris in front of the tractor, and you have a perfect storm for all of the light debris to be drawn towards the cooling fan.

For years, many of the models had the radiator mounted closer to the dash and the air intakes were on the rear sides of the hood and the lower dash panels. This resulted in the same problem with the light debris, except the tractor operator ended up wearing much of the dirt and debris being much closer to it, than with the current design and radiator out front.

Of the two designs, this current one is much better at keeping the dust and dirt off the tractor operator, if that's any consolation..........The only thing worse than having to stop to clean off the tractor for cooling was to also have to clean off yourself first......... ;)

Helpful tips for dealing with this dirt and debris include;
  • Shutting down the tractor engine helps the cleaning process and is safer.
  • Use a blower or compressed air first to remove the debris before rinsing with any water.
  • Blow from behind the radiator forward, to help avoid packing dirt in the radiator.
  • Always remove the radiator screen before using any air or water for cleaning.
  • Don't touch the aluminum fins as they damage easily and reduce cooling.
  • Use the "radiator wands" as they are shaped to make the process easier and get better results.
  • Excessive water or air pressure can damage the aluminum radiator fins.

·
Premium Member
2020 1025R, 120R, 54D
3,812 Posts
for anyone who’s modded their exhaust, does it reduce the grille choking with chaff?
Not noticeably. The grill gets full of debris from the fan pulling air through the radiator. Redirecting the exhaust has no real affect that I can see.

·
Registered
3,712 Posts
Have a 2019 1025R MMM with mulching kit installed

All of a sudden we have thick dead grass clippings on front of tractor and the screen that protects the radiator. Can’t even mow a ¼ acre without blowing it all off. I did my service and changed the paper filter. Made sure the MMM was set correctly.

Reached out to the Dealer and he had no idea what was happening. We are getting covered in dirt. Does anyone know what is going on and how to fix it? View attachment 840275
It is doing its job. Clean it and tractor on. Id say you need a new, smarter, dealer.

·
Registered
3,394 Posts
I end up wiping mine off at least four times when I cut my little two acres. Basically every time I stop for a drink and to stretch my legs for a minute.

·
Registered
3,127 Posts
I put an up right stack on my 1025R & it makes no difference in getting less debris on the grill. Like @MarkEagleUSA said, it's the fan pulling it in. All part of the process of mowing. Just clean it off once & awhile & you'll be fine.

·
Registered
3039R
195 Posts
Going back over the years with several machines mowing multi-acre properties, I’ve had varied experiences:

2305 - Had this problem in a big way. Almost anytime there were dandelion seeds or dried grass around, the front grille and the radiator screen would plug up often. Since that tractor didn’t have a temp gauge, my first clue was the overheat light coming on … but with no other buzzer or warning, that light was not always easy to see on a sunny day. Even during more “normal” mowing conditions I found it necessary to open the hood, remove the radiator screen, and blow the whole engine area and front of the tractor out with my leaf blower before putting it away so it would be ready for the next outing. Was the worst thing about this unit.

317 - My first tractor. Never had a problem with this because the engine was air-cooled.

F932 - Never had a problem with this unit either, because the engine and radiator were in the back and thus were not exposed to the swirling junk that the mower stirred up. I really liked that mower because of how agile and fast it was.

3039R, my current unit - No problems with this at all … because now I live in the woods and don’t have any grass to mow! :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts