Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I use our Deere HX-15 BatWing to cut for a few hours it accumulates piles of grass on top of the deck. I need to study this more but it seems like it comes out the back and then gets sort of sucked forward onto the top of the deck. If I want to clean the deck I would scoop many shovel fulls of clippings only to have to do it again next cutting. Thinking about maybe building some sort of shields....anyone else with a big cutter like this have any solutions? I love this cutter in every way except for this annoyance.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Um...... Quite frankly I never ran a brush hog, or flail of any kind that didn't make a total mess on its self and the back of the tractor. Most any combination of grass, weeds, brush, corn stalks, you name it.

A daily cleaning of the tractor and implement with an air hose was a part of the days work.

My 5 cents of experience.

·
Registered
4,432 Posts
Thats just they way they are, imo. It wouldn't be a bush hog is it didn't pile grass on itself. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
11,029 Posts
I don't own a batwing mower but the videos I've seen of them in operation usually show piles of grass on top.

·
Premium Member
12,600 Posts
Thats just they way they are, imo. It wouldn't be a bush hog is it didn't pile grass on itself. :laugh:
I agree, everyone I've ever seen or used from 4' to the largest batwings do that.
I do understand your frustration, especially with a batwing, makes quite a mess when you fold them up for transport.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Um...... Quite frankly I never ran a brush hog, or flail of any kind that didn't make a total mess on its self and the back of the tractor. Most any combination of grass, weeds, brush, corn stalks, you name it.

A daily cleaning of the tractor and implement with an air hose was a part of the days work.

My 5 cents of experience.
What I have happening is way beyond the capability of an air hose.

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm going to pursue some sort of change to the rear to see if I can improve it....the accumulation I have requires a long tedious cleaning with piles of grass accumulated on top often in 100 degree weather with full humidity. Had years of experience with an MX-8 that I still use and never had anything near piling up what I have with this HX-15 batwing.

One possible idea I noticed is that Deere has an option for a second row of chain shield for the rear of the cutter. Maybe adding the second row may reduce the amount of debris that flows up at the rear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts