Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks looking for advice.

I had a barn built 2 years ago 30x30 with concrete floor and 10 foot pad leading into it (see pics below)

So I have been trying to get grass to grow for 2 years at the entrance to no avail and nothing but mud.

So my thoughts are to add a gravel drive leading to it.

so the area IU want to add to is 15 feet from the front (from the edge of the concrete out 15 feet) then 48 feet to (far left edge to the other gravel drive)

basically the are in the pic that has the new grass trying to grow. this pic is old.

My question is

any advice on doing this, steps to follow. I assume I cannot just dump gravel there and be good to go as there need to be some ground prep

any advice is appreciated

20161007_065907.jpg

·
Registered
185 Posts
I can tell you what I did.

Dig down about 8-12inches (to remove the topsoil and get to clay), bring in #2 stone to create a good base, then fill the rest with #73 limestone. It has served me well but that is just what I have done. I am sure others will chime in.

My neighbor just poured limestone on his grass and over time it settled and he just added more stone. After about 5-6 years of that his driveway is pretty nice and stable.

I will say that if you have any drainage issues take care of them first as it can be a headache to have water running across you gravel drive as the water will wash the stone away quickly.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will say that if you have any drainage issues take care of them first as it can be a headache to have water running across you gravel drive as the water will wash the stone away quickly.
Not sure if I would call it a drainage issue but if you look in my picture above, the right side of the fence where you see the first white section (smaller one) is where a natural run off does happen but the grass is in tact there

·
Registered
3,845 Posts
When I extended my driveway to make it a circle driveway, I dug down a few inches as I thought that was the proper way. I would never do that again. I had to have them bring another round of gravel to get the surface back up to the area around it. I used what we call around here AB3, which has a lot of fines in it which sets up like concrete after it has been wet. I is 3/4 inch size. The truck with 20 tons of gravel was able to drive over the gravel with the second round of gravel without leaving any impressions. If I had it to do over again, I would not have removed any of the existing dirt as the gravel will sink down into the dirt.

Dave

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Good points... No disrespect to 1023easy but digging down 8-12 inches does seem extreme..

When I extended my driveway to make it a circle driveway, I dug down a few inches as I thought that was the proper way. I would never do that again. I had to have them bring another round of gravel to get the surface back up to the area around it. I used what we call around here AB3, which has a lot of fines in it which sets up like concrete after it has been wet. I is 3/4 inch size. The truck with 20 tons of gravel was able to drive over the gravel with the second round of gravel without leaving any impressions. If I had it to do over again, I would not have removed any of the existing dirt as the gravel will sink down into the dirt.

Dave

·
Registered
185 Posts
Good points... No disrespect to 1023easy but digging down 8-12 inches does seem extreme..
No worries, none taken. I did it because I was putting a drive on a freshly plowed farm field and the topsoil is very soft. It did take a lot of gravel to build it back up but it is really solid at this point. I have just never had good experience with not removing the topsoil first as it just becomes a mud mess for me.

I also got driveway quotes from a few different contractors and they were all going to do the same thing. Maybe because its a farm field?

I only mention the drainage since running water will erode the gravel quickly with a hard rain. In your situation it might not be an issue. You can see in the second picture the standing water and the culvert. Without that the stone was washing away very quickly.

Attachments

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep, understood.

In my original pic where I have been trying to grow grass it's hard packed clay... yeah I know, grass ain't gonna grow without topsoil :)

Local rock crusher will deliver 21 tons for $390.00 of what we call here "crusher run now... forgot to ask him what size it was though

Probably much like what ddinham did, I am going to take off just a few inches in the places where I have top soil and then use the crusher run.

I was also told to put fabric under it

No worries, none taken. I did it because I was putting a drive on a freshly plowed farm field and the topsoil is very soft. It did take a lot of gravel to build it back up but it is really solid at this point. I have just never had good experience with not removing the topsoil first as it just becomes a mud mess for me.

I also got driveway quotes from a few different contractors and they were all going to do the same thing. Maybe because its a farm field?

I only mention the drainage since running water will erode the gravel quickly with a hard rain. In your situation it might not be an issue. You can see in the second picture the standing water and the culvert. Without that the stone was washing away very quickly.

·
Super Moderator
5,484 Posts
I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to put another driveway on the other side of our house.

Driveway fabric is definitely a very good idea. I was told a few years ago by different contractors that using it is the proper way to do it.

·
Registered
28 Posts
My experience is similar to others, if you just dump small DIA rock over the ground it will sink in and require additional rock every couple of years. My best advise is to dump large DIA rock (the size of your fist) to make a good base and then top that with smaller DIA.

·
Premium Member
984 Posts
Once you get the gravel in place, the grass will grow just fine up through the gravel. It's not doing so well right now because you're making it feel too welcome. :banghead:

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spot on 🤣🤣🤣🤣

Once you get the gravel in place, the grass will grow just fine up through the gravel. It's not doing so well right now because you're making it feel too welcome.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Dig down a few inches and roll out some geotextile fabric. Then recycled asphalt/crusher run.:bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Call or visit your local state DOT office,,

Ask them what they put down under new asphalt,, around here,, the material is called "mill run"

Mill run is VERY different than crusher run, the material will compact significantly,,
and it takes a pretty skilled operator to "tailgate" the stuff with any success,

The stuff needs rolled, but, a 4WD pickup does that pretty good.
Weeds?? Heck, you can not push a walking stick into it after compaction,, let alone a weed growing.
Weeds will grow if dirt gets spilled on it, or after long enough, dirt will accumulate from wind blown etc.. dirt.
I would guess the stuff compacts 30% or more,,,

I have used it for about 10 years,, once it is put down, it stays nice,, until a tractor scrapes etc.

Oh, yea, there is no limit to how thick you can put it down, it will still compact to a very hard surface,,
put down a half a foot of 57's gravel, you will get stuck every time you drive over it,,,
57's is specifically designed not to compact. That is why you can pour concrete on 57's without leaving a void,,,

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Spoke to my BIL who owns a ASphalt business back east and he sad for the 15x45 space I am covering dig out about 6 inches and just use crusher run, since the space I am doing is not a high traffic area ( just pull the tractor in and out and zero turn) that should work well.

He did agree with y'all if I could could recycled asphalt it is the best to use... Wish I lived near him I could get truck loads for free :(

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Dig down a few inches and roll out some geotextile fabric. Then recycled asphalt/crusher run.:bigthumb:
Plus one on the geotechnical. It will keep the gavel from drinking down through or dirt coming up through the gravel.

·
Registered
12,550 Posts
I haven't done it yet, but I'm going to put another driveway on the other side of our house.

Driveway fabric is definitely a very good idea. I was told a few years ago by different contractors that using it is the proper way to do it.
What is the purpose of driveway fabric? And yes, I honestly asking.

·
Registered
12,550 Posts

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Guess I should've have kept reading. :thumbup1gif:
It does help with the disappearing gravel or whatever you would use. I used it on my recycled asphalt drive that goes to my shop and it works great. Keeps any vegetation from growing as well. If you use geotextile fabric then I would dig down at least 4in. That way by the time you get done spreading the substrate of choice, it should be at least an inch or two above grade. That will give you a 5-6in base.

·
Registered
4,066 Posts
Not sure of cost, and you still have to remove some dirt, but my buddy put down grass pavers in front of his spare garage. Grass grows up threw them. Works good, think he’s put them in about 5 years ago with good results. Just his tractor and other toys in this garage. Looks good also as garage is in his back yard.
Pic I found on internet

Attachments

·
Registered
2,251 Posts
When we built our house the excavation company put on the driveway.

First things they did was dig out about 8”. Then brought in slate for the base.

This was done right after the foundation was dug. Months of running construction deliveries, dump trucks and equipment compacted it really well.

What alms as said and done they brought in 2B I think (3/4”) stone.

After three years our driveway still looks good. And we haven’t had to add any stone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

1 - 20 of 28 Posts