Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
etcallhome's thread about smoke at startup was very timely. I have been having an issue with gray/blue smoke at startup. My normal startup (the last 3 years and 215+/- hrs.) has been a small puff of black smoke and pretty smooth idling, even in winter. Recently I have copious amounts gray/blue smoke and much more rough/stumbling idling at startup. This lasts upwards of a minute, then all is totally fine and normal. I have tried cycling the glow plugs twice. I also normally start at idle, but have tried 1/4 to 1/2 throttle with no difference. If I slightly bump up the throttle after starting, things even out a little quicker, but not much. I am no diesel mechanic, so I thought I would check here before sending it off to the dealer.

Just some other info: I changed the oil/filter, all new fuel filters and air filters at 200 hrs. Now showing 230ish. This affliction started around 215. I have also never used any sort of fuel additive. Within this time frame, I have also bought fuel from a couple different stations. As always, thanks for the help!

I took a video, hopefully it will work!

[video] [/video]

·
Corndog Hater
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #2

·
Registered
446 Posts
That can be a few things. After reading your post and watching the video I have a few thoughts. Have you checked your oil and radiator water levels? Are they where they should be? White smoke usually indicates water getting in your oil such as a head gasket leak. I doubt this is your issue, but a compression test would rule it out.

Usually the symptoms you mention and from what your video shows implies you are burning oil, probably from excessive wear in your valve guides or valve seals. Although, if your guides or seals were bad enough it should smoke a little any time it is running, especially if you rev the engine you should notice a puff.

Whitish-grey usually indicates water burning. Blueish-grey usually indicates oil burning. Black indicates a rich mixture of excessive fuel trying to burn. By watching your video I do agree you have a problem that should be serviced.

·
Registered
967 Posts
Dirty injectors. Try a tank of Sea Foam or Power Service.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I wonder if you got a glow plug that's not working

·
Corndog Hater
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys!!!! All fluid levels seem fine and I keep checking them. A neighbor had mentioned trying some additive, I just didn't want to make anything worse. But I wouldn't think the sea foam would hurt? I just want to get this taken care of before winter when the 1026r moves from the barn to the garage. This would smoke out our vehicles and garage!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
446 Posts
I agree with the other posts that you may have a dirty injector or possibly a glow plug issue, but usually the smoke would be more of a black color. I would definitely dump some Sea Foam in. That stuff works very well. At the very least some Sea Foam here and there is good routine maintenance.

·
Registered
2,478 Posts
I'd be curious to see a video of a cold start up at idle and leaving it at idle.

I am thinking glow plug related. You obviously have fuel not being burned off and with the extra throttle at startup the fuel is likely keeping a cylinder cool which keeps it from firing.

·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
It looks like you may have a bad glow plug. One cylinder not getting the heat the other two are, makes for an uneven balance until that cylinder develops enough heat to run on its own. Gray smoke is actually a combination of the normal black smoke (at start-up) and the white from the unburnt fuel from the cold cylinder.

One can not use the same color smoke diagnosis from a gasoline motor as a diesel. They are different.

·
Corndog Hater
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'd be curious to see a video of a cold start up at idle and leaving it at idle.

I am thinking glow plug related. You obviously have fuel not being burned off and with the extra throttle at startup the fuel is likely keeping a cylinder cool which keeps it from firing.
I can do a video of that today, hoping to mow before we get some rain tomorrow.

·
Registered
446 Posts
It looks like you may have a bad glow plug. One cylinder not getting the heat the other two are, makes for an uneven balance until that cylinder develops enough heat to run on its own. Gray smoke is actually a combination of the normal black smoke (at start-up) and the white from the unburnt fuel from the cold cylinder.

One can not use the same color smoke diagnosis from a gasoline motor as a diesel. They are different.
Good point Jason. As I was typing my response I was kind of thinking about that smoke color with gas and diesel a bit. Gas and diesel do act quite different. Diesel in some ways is a heavy oil when compared to gas which will change the smoke color. I think what you say seems accurate. An oil burning issue would be present at start up but additionally would show at all times with smoke. I agree something probably isn't burning hot enough at start up which is causing a flooded condition at start up. I would check the glow plugs first, injectors second.

·
Corndog Hater
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok psrumors, here is another video of a cold start up, with 1 cycle of the glow plugs, and no throttle, and I didn't up the throttle after start up either. It was much the same as the other video. It was also a warm day today with temps up in the mid 70's. Still debating on the sea foam, but it may go to the dealer anyway. I am almost due for a hydro fluid/filter change, and I usually lazy out and have them do that. Thanks again all!

·
Premium Member
3,964 Posts
I would try removing the glow plug wires one at a time and trying to start it. If one of the cylinders has a bad one than when you unplug that one it should have no effect and the other 2 would make it worse.

·
Corndog Hater
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Paid a visit to the dealer yesterday. The service manager said they have had a few of these smaller diesels acting up. Most often it is an injector and/or a timing issue in the the emissions systems. He got very technical and it was way over my head. There is still warranty left on it, so I am going to have them come and get it. He also recommends a fuel additive to be used all year long. I will keep you posted. Thanks again folks

·
Corndog Hater
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
BTW, both my salesman and the service manager sat right down with me as we hashed things out. They have been an awesome dealership for all 8 years of my dealing with them. Just goes to show you how important having a dealer that will go above and beyond is.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
That cold start video is just how my 1026 is acting too. I don't believe the idea that it is normal because it wasn't like that for the first 350 hours. I think it is a glow plug issue but haven't made the time to trouble shoot it. If I plug in the block heater it isn't anywhere near that bad so that is another reason I think it is a glow plug issue. The dealer played with the timing a little bit and it kinda fixed it for a few hours then it is back to starting rough. In fact, after they monkeyed with the timing it just feels different. I might reset the timing too but it looks like a tedious process from what I read in the technical manual.

·
Corndog Hater
11,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I am no mechanic, nor do I play one in real life...so I will let the dealer have a crack at it. But I totally agree, it's not normal either. It wasn't like that for my previous 230 hours. I have talked to a lot of people who have said it is normal though, dismissed the color and said "All diesels smoke".

·
Administrator
20,353 Posts
I am no mechanic, nor do I play one in real life...so I will let the dealer have a crack at it. But I totally agree, it's not normal either. It wasn't like that for my previous 230 hours. I have talked to a lot of people who have said it is normal though, dismissed the color and said "All diesels smoke".

There's too many variables between engines to have a blanket statement like "all diesels smoke." When someone says that, they either don't know, covering for something, or trying to blow it off, or a combination of those.

What we do know is, is the characteristics of your engine has changed. It was a different color and behaved differently before. That indicates change of some sort. We know what "normal" is because of your experience with it (230 hours worth) and the wealth of other owners who state the same as you for a normal start.

I'm interested in the outcome.

If you still have the tractor and you have a volt meter, can you do some simple checks for me? Just out of curiosity sake. If you can, disconnect each glow plug (on top of the engine near the injectors) and ohm out each one to a good ground. You should have really low resistance for a good glow plug. If one reads infinity or open circuit, well you've discovered the issue.

·
Premium Member
2,884 Posts
I've been planning to test the glow plugs as diesel suggested. The challenge is getting to the plugs, they are tucked in behind the injector and next to no room to take the wire off. I'm going to pick up a valve cover gasket and pull the cover off to get better access. It will also give me a chance to check the valve clearance while I'm in there. If a glow plug needs to be changed I think the valve cover has to come off to get them out anyway.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I've been planning to test the glow plugs as diesel suggested. The challenge is getting to the plugs, they are tucked in behind the injector and next to no room to take the wire off. I'm going to pick up a valve cover gasket and pull the cover off to get better access. It will also give me a chance to check the valve clearance while I'm in there. If a glow plug needs to be changed I think the valve cover has to come off to get them out anyway.
Would you be able to get a DC inductive amp meter around the individual wires? That would tell you if they are working.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts