Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Been battling dandelions, scored a sprayer from the neighbor...cousin who works a horse farm gave me left over GrazonNext HL Herbicide.

Done some research and it seems okay for my yard/acreage.

Just checking in with the experts here...good to go??

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
Grazon NextHL is the herbicide I use out at my farm. It is a regulated herbicide here in Texas meaning you need a private applicators license to purchase. I use it as it was safe to "graze on" after applying. It will definitely knock out your broadleaf weeds. Be sure to use a surfactant. It does not hurt grasses just weeds. As with all chemicals use precautions when you apply and watch the winds to cut down on drift.

Reactions: DaubsNU1

·
Registered
2,994 Posts
Ditto on he surfactant. Grazon NextHL is what I use on my horse pastures. I paid a professional to do it the first year ($600). After that I bought my own boom sprayer and do it myself. The label says to use 3 gallons of water/Grazon mix for every 1,000 square feet to ensure the active ingredient gets into the soil. That's about 130 gallons of water over each acre. I have a 40 gallon boom sprayer, so I fill/refill the tank 3 times for each acre. I use the mid rate of 24 oz per acre, which is 8 ounces of Grazon NextHL per 40 gallon tank.

·
Registered
9,325 Posts
Ditto on he surfactant. Grazon NextHL is what I use on my horse pastures. I paid a professional to do it the first year ($600). After that I bought my own boom sprayer and do it myself. The label says to use 3 gallons of water/Grazon mix for every 1,000 square feet to ensure the active ingredient gets into the soil. That's about 130 gallons of water over each acre. I have a 40 gallon boom sprayer, so I fill/refill the tank 3 times for each acre. I use the mid rate of 24 oz per acre, which is 8 ounces of Grazon NextHL per 40 gallon tank.
That's a surprising amount of water. Most of the herbicides I'm used to call for something between 20 and 30 gallons/acre which is a bit more manageable.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm sitting on about 3 acres. Appreciate the advice here!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GrazonNext worked well earlier this summer...now the dandelions are coming back.

Should I use GrazonNext again?

Or is there something else that would be better in September(?).

Here is what the lawn looks like today...

Plant Plant community Grass Terrestrial plant Groundcover

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.