Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
292 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
what brand grease gun is the best that wont leak grease everywhere im looking for one with the pistol grip pump and where to buy . would like a electric one just cant justify the price vs how many times it gets used it would sit most of the time so a hand pump one is what im looking at. thinking of getting the locknlube fitting on it the only thing i grease is the 1025r :bigthumb::nunu:

·
Administrator
18,801 Posts
The JD branded one is very good in my opinion, not sure who makes it for them.

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
12,230 Posts
Alemite 550 hand operated, dual position lever controls volume/pressure. I've used this type for many years.

I think the model number may have been changed to a 555E.

Alemite Professional Series Grease Guns are designed to consistently deliver excellent performance, and are known for their reliability and durability. Available in standard and high volume models.

·
Registered
12,767 Posts
Alemite 550 hand operated, dual position lever controls volume/pressure. I've used this type for many years.

Alemite Professional Series Grease Guns are designed to consistently deliver excellent performance, and are known for their reliability and durability. Available in standard and high volume models.

i have a Lincoln model like that, also the JD model, both seem to work ok. here the Lincoln models was the king of all grease guns for the coal companies,, at least they was way better than the others we were told to try back then. the other's wouldn't suck all the grease out of the tube, and got air in them way to easy. back in the 80's several of them cheap models got :accidentally:hide:) ran over by my dozer-till we got the lincoln models back inside our cabs to use.

also have the Milwaukee model Mfuel model-but i waited all my life to have it-it is unbelievable the best :gizmo:i ever spent, along with the lock and lube. worth every penny if ya can afford it.

·
Premium Member
2,850 Posts
I have the Lincoln models both air powered and standard. Last month I got the Milwaukee m18 and man do I love it. Last weekend I greased both tractors, FEL not even on the tractor, grapple not on tractor, trailer axels on my two trailers everything I had with a zerk. Why did I wait. :good2:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I picked up one of these to replace my old Blue Point that seen better days. Works great. Don't know if they have other models but mine has a green tube, rubber hose and one hand operation. Think it cost about $30.

·
Premium Member
2,157 Posts
I bought one of these at TSC several years ago. I know the one review is poor but I actually like it. I have several grease guns of various styles: air, battery, two hand and one hand and I usually always use this one. The one that I like least is the Lincoln battery model because ever since new, the battery just does't stay charged. Everything you want to use it you have to charge the battery first.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/product/legacy-lock-n-load-variable-stroke-pistol-grease-gun?cm_vc=-10005

Reactions: BigJim55 and Robnik

·
Registered
2,039 Posts
Hiya,

Among several others I have a Milton adjustable flow/pressure hand type. I like it as by flipping the lever position, it can fill a spindle easily or flip it to high pressure, then force grease into a plugged fitting or clogged passage. I'm not sure where it's made but it seems high quality.

Pistol Grease Gun - Grease Guns - Grease Guns | Miltonindustries.com

Reactions: Robnik

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
I'll second the JD branded one. I initially only bought it because it was on sale and I needed a second grease gun but I was pleasantly surprised on how well it works. Like some others, it has a two-position lever on the pump handle that allows you to select high volume or high pressure.

Reactions: BigJim55 and Robnik

·
Super Moderator
8,259 Posts

Same here. I purchased this same Alemite 555E when I wanted a one-handed grease gun for tight spots and to free up my other hand when necessary. It also has the flip lever to switch between high-flow or high-pressure up to 7500 PSI for difficult fittings.

Features, advantages and benefits are listed below:

• Develops up to 7,500 psi pressure
  • Simple, quick priming – heavy duty follower spring to maintain prime
  • Exclusive dual leverage feature – volume or pressure mode
  • Ergonomic, rugged cast handle
  • Universal follower for cartridge and bulk use
  • Reliable, long lasting coupler
  • Bleeder valve

·
Registered
929 Posts
I agree with Kenny (and everyone else) about the JD grease gun. I have had terrible luck with grease guns. The JD one is the first one that I bought that has not (yet) given me any trouble at all.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I have one that I got at Advance Auto that works fine and wasn't expensive. Got all kinds of special tips for it too including a needle tip and a 90 degree tip.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Alemite and Lincoln are the same company;

Alemite is part of Lincoln lubrication so that might help you find options.

If you can better describe the source of the mess, there might be some better ideas out there ... there are usually 2 problems - the coupler, and the grease leaking out the bottom next to the pressure stem handle. Most of the time you are probably not going to buy a complete grease gun with the best of couplers installed in the initial package (no idea why, but that seems to be the way of it) ... seems like couplers take a beating and need to be replaced if they get used much, so keep that in mind. Some models - even hand ones - grease gun can put out - hold on! You're gonna be knocked out of your sox: 15,000PSI!!! That is going to make a coupler take a beating and the zerks get beat up pretty bad as well and the surfaces get rough - which is gonna be hard on your coupler. Push on/push off couplers are fast - but the ones that have the little catch lever are better - go on easier/come off easier with the release lever ... Look at your options and do what makes sense for YOU. The second problem - the drip out the bottom - is caused from grease being made from a base oil and thickener, and the much thinner base oil (down "in the teens" cSt) is going to try to separate from the thickener, especially when it is warm. When you open a bucket of oil, you often see base oil in a pool on the top, which should be mixed before using (who does?). Most greases need to be NLGI consistency of 2 (most common) or 3 (occasionally, in heavy industrial)(scale goes from thin 0000 to 6 HARD!) just so you can get it down the tube and into the zerk, so it is going to be prone to leakage down the stem of the handle, if you hang it (and it is easier to keep clean if you hang it) ... for normal farm/home shop use, I would recommend you find a 15 gallon barrel (my Mobil jobber gives them away) and hang the grease gun over the edge with the body in the barrel and the pump handle on the outside, so the stem leaks into the barrel and doesn't get all over the shop/garage. absorbent in the bottom of the barrel is a plus. There is no real good answer, but these are a couple of ideas that might get you ahead of it a little bit ... and anything that gets you a little ahead of any mess is time well spent :laugh:

·
Premium Member
13,623 Posts
I see Lock 'N Lube is advertising a new Easy Prime grease gun that doesn't use a spring loaded follower. Sounds interesting. I'm not sure it's worth $95 but will be interested to read additional reports.

Reactions: rtgt

·
Premium Member
306 Posts
I really like my lube-shuttle with lock n lube connector.

rob

Reactions: chex313

·
Premium Member
1,007 Posts

·
Premium Member
10,567 Posts
I see Lock 'N Lube is advertising a new Easy Prime grease gun that doesn't use a spring loaded follower. Sounds interesting. I'm not sure it's worth $95 but will be interested to read additional reports.
It looks interesting.

Part of the price probably includes the coupler. Since I have the coupler, I might check to see if I can just buy the gun.

I'll file this away for when I need to get another grease gun. So far the old traditional grease guns I have are still working well.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
I purchase a grease gun for each type of grease I have to dispense. In this manner, I don't have the storage and mess of open tubes nor the mess of changing them. So I've tried a few different types & brands. Years ago, I purchased a 5 gallon pale of grease, thinking it would save money over tubes and I'm still one of those compulsive types that packs wheel bearings by hand. The problem with the pale, or more specifically the grease gun, is none of the models I had would draw grease from the pale.

Based on another GTT thread's recommendation, I purchased an Alemite pistol grip, two stroke, grease gun with a Lock-n-Lube coupler from Lock-n-Lube. This gun WILL draw grease from the 5 gallon pale. The one hand operation is handy. The Lock-n-Lube coupler is handy---but just about every piece of equipment I own has at least one zerk where there is simply not enough clearance around it to attach the Lock-n-Lube coupler. So I'm back to a second grease gun with a standard coupler for that zerk---which defeats the handiness of the Lock-n-Lube coupler.

Lock-n-Lube also offers a rubbe typw sleeve to slide over the grease gun barrel, to contain the leakage. I never utilized one, so I can't say how well it performs.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I went all electric several years ago and have never looked back so I'll leave the gun alone. Few things of note; if the tip leaks every time then the tip is bad and needs replaced, if it leaks every once and a while then the zerk is bad, both wear out often. As for the lock tip, always kind of wanted one but have way to many places this big thing won't fit.

·
Premium Member
1,216 Posts
I have a JD grease gun that is excellent. I use it for that difficult zerk on the universal that you have to go thru the hole on the plate and have to turn the flywheel to line up the zerk. I added a swivel to it from L& L. I also use it on my MMM. My lock and lube won’t fit the MMM and that front universal holes. The JD works great every time. On the rest, I use a cordless dewalt with the L&L tip and also added the L&L hose swivel. I also cracked the thread on the jd tip so if it locks on a zerk due to pressure I simply twist the tip parts slightly apart and it comes right off the zerk. I keep it hand tight for applying grease. I also keep a spare set of both different size and angle JD metric and standard Zerks and keep an extra case of JD grease cartridges in stock. I generally stock up on everything related to service and maintenance so all I have to do is make coffee and step into my garage to do service when I want without going to dealer.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts