1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please, PLEASE recommend a grease gun that:

a. works consistently
b. does NOT leak

I have two grease guns...one works (kinda), but leaks all over the place. The other doesn't leak, but it doesn't work either...

Sooo frustrating!!!

·
Premium Member
13,006 Posts
Asking which grease gun is like asking "which oil" or "which diesel additive". Everyone has their favorite. I've had several grease guns over the years. Currently I have one from Tractor Supply that has been doing very well. No leaks and good performance. It is the Workforce Heavy Duty Lever Action Grease Gun, L1355. It runs $30. I have a Lock 'N Lube coupler on it.

Where does your grease gun leak mostly?

One thing that can help with the leaks is to pull back the rod on the bottom and relieve the spring pressure between uses.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts

these don't leak and are fairly reliable.

1 vote for the Dewalt cordless...mine works great...no leaks yet.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
13,006 Posts
Milwaukee M18 cordless.
I have a M18 grease gun and it weeps juice out the back of the rod just like a manual grease gun. Especially in hot weather.

The only thing that prevents leaks out the rod hole is the LNL Barrel Cap.

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
For just a few fittings I grab my Alemite 555E pistol grip with flex hose.

For more I use a DeWalt 20V cordless.

Both work well but the cordless develops more pressure which helps if you have a pin under pressure or a stubborn pin that doesn't want to take grease.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
I have a M18 grease gun and it weeps juice out the back of the rod just like a manual grease gun. Especially in hot weather.

The only thing that prevents leaks out the rod hole is the LNL Barrel Cap.
There are no words for this contraption.

Survey says they do work.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I have to ask how can a grease gun leak??? I have at home a old and I mean old grease gun made by witco chemical Corp were my old man worked and at work gone thru many power grease guns now on a Lincoln 18 volt gun. Never had 1 leak?:unknown:

·
Registered
430 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,006 Posts
I have to ask how can a grease gun leak??? I have at home a old and I mean old grease gun made by witco chemical Corp were my old man worked and at work gone thru many power grease guns now on a Lincoln 18 volt gun. Never had 1 leak?:unknown:
Other than lousy couplers that leak (which can't really be blamed on the grease gun), most grease guns will leak over time around the barrel seal. This is very common if your grease gun is stored some place that gets hot in the summer. The oil will migrate out of the grease and drip out the back of the barrel where the charge rod exists.

But I have also had grease guns that leaked GREASE around the barrel seal. As the grease gun sits there grease slowly works it's way around the spring loaded seal. So you eventually end up with grease on the wrong side of the barrel seal. Then, when you THINK the gun is empty and pull back the rod in preparation to install a new tube of grease, it will shoot all that leaked grease OUT the charge rod hole and onto your lap. I have personally experienced this.

The best way to prevent barrel seal leaks is to pull back the rod and lock it between uses. That takes the pressure off the spring and grease will not ooze past the barrel seal.

Reactions: DaubsNU1

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Best way to stop a messy grease gun is to remove the grease cartridge, relieve the spring tension, and clean it. Use the plastic cap that came with the cartridge to store it. It takes less than a minute to load and prime a cartridge when you want to use it again.

·
Premium Member
251 Posts
get the lube-shuttle it does not leak

Reactions: chex313

·
Premium Member
13,006 Posts
Reactions: Toughsox

·
Registered
722 Posts
Another vote for the Milwaukee M18 grease gun with a Lube Lock tip. I've had grease liquefying a little on three or four different guns, it just happens. Some grease is more resistant to getting runny but I think it's the more exotic and expensive stuff.

The M18 gun can be set to pump continuously (high or low) or a set number of pumps. The slew ring gear on my excavator only takes three pumps or you could blow a seal. Same situation on my boom lift slew gears.

Reactions: Old Cajun

·
Old Pa-pa
11,921 Posts
Another vote for the Milwaukee M18 grease gun with a Lube Lock tip. I've had grease liquefying a little on three or four different guns, it just happens. Some grease is more resistant to getting runny but I think it's the more exotic and expensive stuff.

The M18 gun can be set to pump continuously (high or low) or a set number of pumps. The slew ring gear on my excavator only takes three pumps or you could blow a seal. Same situation on my boom lift slew gears.
I use the JD "Blue" high moisture environment grease (Lithium base) and have never had it liquefy and get runny in the Mil. M18 or the
pistol grip manual JD gun.

Haven't used the manual one in ages since the M18 however.

Reactions: johncanfield

·
Registered
149 Posts
Reactions: johncanfield

·
Premium Member
13,006 Posts

The M18 is a nice grease gun. I have one as well. But it leaks out the back of the barrel just like the manual guns. Which, makes sense since the barrel is constructed identical to a manual gun. Also, my M18 always oozes a bit of grease out a hole down in front (see photo below). This must be some kind of pressure relief valve hole as it doesn't exist on manual guns. There is always a little blob of grease sticking out this hole and it drips down onto the shelf where the gun sits. Don't get me wrong, I love how it works but it's just as messy as the rest. The only advantage is it has that big handle so you don't have to hold it by the barrel.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 47 Posts