Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I greased for the first time today, and noticed that one of the loader pins on my 220R doesn’t receive any noticeable grease on the side of the pin opposite the zerk. The other pins have visible grease on each side of the pin. So I’m wondering if something is up here and concerned there’s not sufficient grease on one side. Here’s a poc. You can see there’s no grease on one side of the pin.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I agree with MTB, pin should be free to move. If grease comes out one side, slide cylinder over tight against that side. If you need 2 hands to work grease gun, use a strap or rope to hold cylinder tight, and grease again.

I don't know what Deere recommends for grease there, but I use an EP moly type grease on all pins that see hyd. pressure. Bob

·
Premium Member
15,776 Posts
Do you have all the pressure off that joint? You should be able to move the cylinder back and forth a little bit on the pin.
Are you using white lithium grease?
I noticed that too.

The 220R manual has this to say about grease...

John Deere SD Polyurea Grease is preferred.

The following greases are also recommended:

• John Deere HD Lithium Complex Grease
  • John Deere Grease-Gard™ Premium Plus
Other greases may be used if they meet the following:

• NLGI Performance Classification GC-LB
  • ISO-L-X-BDHB 2 or DIN KP 2 N-10 Lithium Complex, Non-Synthetic Base Oil (100 to 220 mm2/s @ 40°C)

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Do you have all the pressure off that joint? You should be able to move the cylinder back and forth a little bit on the pin.
I had tried moving the cylinder but could not. I had also tried releasing hydro pressure by moving the joystick around (is that what you mean?) but still didnt work. I don’t know which order I tried those though so I’ll have to try again.

One thing to note is the original grease that it came with from dealer also did not reach the other side of this pin.

The grease I’m using is Airtec li400 which from what I can tell meets or exceeds the requirements mentioned in the manual.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
41,797 Posts
How many hours on the FEL?
What type of grease gun are you using?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
I had tried moving the cylinder but could not. I had also tried releasing hydro pressure by moving the joystick around (is that what you mean?) but still didnt work. I don’t know which order I tried those though so I’ll have to try again.

One thing to note is the original grease that it came with from dealer also did not reach the other side of this pin.

The grease I’m using is Airtec li400 which from what I can tell meets or exceeds the requirements mentioned in the manual.
You may need to move the loader around with the tractor running to find a spot where the pin is not in a bind. Have you greased this before? It looks really clean and grease free.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
How many hours on the FEL?
What type of grease gun are you using?
Tractor has about 40 hours, most of which is snowblower and backhoe use, so I’d guess less than 10 FEL hours. I’m using a Lube Shuttle. It doesn’t feel hard to pump grease in there at all, it just comes out on the one side of pin.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You may need to move the loader around with the tractor running to find a spot where the pin is not in a bind. Have you greased this before? It looks really clean and grease free.
Thank you I’ll try that. This is the first time I’m greasing the loader — I haven’t used the loader too much since getting the tractor which was new. This pin is more grease-free than the other pins. The side of the pin that took grease had pushed out older black grease that was there since delivery but I wiped some of it away to get a better look. The side of the pin not taking grease looks like the original greasing never reached it.

·
Premium Member
5,612 Posts
Greasing is best done after a good days work when everything is nice and warm. Helps to have decent heat in the grease and it will penetrate a lot better. Work that loader good and hard for an hour or 2 then grease it. Leave the grease out in the hot sun before using or a heated spot when it’s cold out.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
If nothing else works.

Pull the pin and clean it good.

Its possible theres a burr plugging one hole ( typicly there would be 2).

Some pins have 1 in the middle others 2 one on each side. Older pins sometimes have spiral grooves.

I've got a couple on my mini Ex that need cleaned as the one side seems dry mostly. These pins are long (6") so I'm sure they have 2 or more holes.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
OK just messed with it. I can move the cylinder back and forth on the width of the pin. Still zero grease coming out the far side of the pin. Even if I move the cylinder so it’s as close to the zerk side as possible, same result.

I’ll have to try other suggestions next.

·
Premium Member
1,757 Posts
Howdy. I've had pins do that and typicaly don't get overly concerned as long as grease is getting in there. With the free play that is in the cylinder the grease will get on the rest of the pin.

Other option is take pin out and clean it,

Or before taking the pin out, spray a little wd 40 in there an go work it for a while. It will break down the grease but keep it lubricated. Its a little messy but it should unplug the other hole. When you think you have given it enough time. Pump in some fresh grease and see if it worked? I use a battery powered grease gun and that wil usually keep them open. You will have to keep a eye on it to make sure all the wd 40 is out.

You said there was black grease in there before you started using the grease you are now. It might have been a cheap brand and with it sitting might have hardened up.

I use the jd grease. Red as it stays on the pins longer. I have something else out in garage too but cant think what brand it is.

I know it is a heavy duty grease and water resistant and high temp. After runing a backhoe and big equipment for years. I have learned the one thing you dont go cheap on is the grease. When you have to grease some pins more than others or multiple times a day, you learn quick. The cheap stuff just runs out of the pins and usually down the side or arms of the equipment. Then on your clothes, the garage floor, etc... Wont wash out of your clothes as easy as it runs outta the pins!

Good luck!
WB🚜🇺🇲

1 - 14 of 14 Posts