Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new X570 is due to be greased and was wondering what type grease you use. Are you sticking with the prescribed JD grease ? Or using something better ? I have been recomended to use lucas red and tacky... and here is a follow-on. The mower deck has fittings to grease the bearings, but if the bearings are sealed. Why the fittings ? And if greased do you grease these like the old style where you pump the grease in until it starts oozing out ? What's the method here?
Thanks !!!

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
As with motor oil, there's a strong tendency to overthink grease. Any lithium multipurpose grease is fine, no brand is going to be better than another - the only real difference is going to be the extent of their marketing. Lithium complex greases may have a little better water resistance and a little better shear stability. Probably overkill in a light-duty lawn tractor, but the cost difference is going to be negligible and I'd go that route.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Great point by MacCool. Today it would be hard to find a bad oil. Grease as well. From a guy who has run a grease gun for decades we all tend to over grease. Typically one or 2 shots periodically is sufficient for most zerts.

·
Registered
2,356 Posts
Mower deck spindle bearings may or may not be sealed, I just don't know. I DO know on my Mod 46 deck bearings are sealed and no grease fittings. BUT, when rebuilding the spindles, the manual states to fill the cavity between the bearings approx 75% with grease. This is not for lubrication, but simply to reduce condensation.

As far as greasing/over-greasing, I like to add grease until I start seeing old grease coming out. You must look at each grease point though. If it's a sealed unit, 3 to 5 strokes, otherwise you'll blow the seals! If it's vented to atmosphere, pump until you see grease. Bob

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
I have been using the JD polyurea grease (the green stuff) for a long time. I think it is more water resistant than lithium based grease. It is recommended on most JD ag equipment and is what the dealer uses.
Here is JD’s oil guide. It has allot of good info About the various JD lubrication products.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
I have been using the JD polyurea grease (the green stuff) for a long time. I think it is more water resistant than lithium based grease. It is recommended on most JD ag equipment and is what the dealer uses.
Here is JD’s oil guide. It has allot of good info About the various JD lubrication products.
John Deer uses lithium complex grease when they assemble most of their equipment IIUC. Polyurea or molybdenum-based greases are fine for many or most purposes, but likely unnecessary and may not be compatible with lithium greases which are vastly more common. If the OP is going to switch to polyurea grease, he should check the various compatibility charts found on the internet.

Like I said....easy to overthink.

·
Registered
5,407 Posts
John Deer uses lithium complex grease when they assemble most of their equipment IIUC. Polyurea or molybdenum-based greases are fine for many or most purposes, but likely unnecessary and may not be compatible with lithium greases which are vastly more common. If the OP is going to switch to polyurea grease, he should check the various compatibility charts found on the internet.

Like I said....easy to overthink.
Polyurea is factory fill for everything I own, and for your 1025r, but I don’t know about the OP’s x570.
The best way to avoid overthinking grease is to just use what the manual says:laugh:

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
Polyurea is factory fill for everything I own, and for your 1025r, but I don’t know about the OP’s x570.
The best way to avoid overthinking grease is to just use what the manual says:laugh:
Same here. Other than backhoes, the manuals usually recommend JD SD Polyurea grease - which I use on almost everything.

However, looking at the X570 operator's manual, I see JD is changing their tune.

This is from the X570, X580, X584 and X590 manual:

The following grease is recommended for service:

• John Deere Multi-Purpose HD Lithium Complex Grease
  • Grease-Gard™ Premium Plus

The X570 is basically a re-badged X500 with a new instrument cluster. For the past 10+ years the operator's manuals for the X300, X500 and X700-series tractors have had this grease recommendation:

The following greases are preferred:

• John Deere Multi-Purpose SD Polyurea Grease
• John Deere Multi-Purpose HD Lithium Complex Grease

I had no idea what "Grease-Gard Premium Plus" was so I did some googling and came up with this. Oddly, the only JD page that contained information about Grease-Gard was the "North Africa" site. I can't find any part numbers or places that sell it.

Grease-Gard

Grease-Gard Premium and Grease-Gard Premium Plus greases are ideal to protect bearings, drive shafts and all the other moving parts where grease is required.
Grease-Gard Premium is a multi-purpose Lithium grease that offers excellent performance in light to medium duty and is ideal for all-season general purpose lubrication. Grease-Gard Premium Plus is a multi-purpose HD Lithium complex grease. It is used by John Deere for initial factory-fill lubrication of U-joints and axle bearings and it is compatible with most other types of grease.

Reactions: glc and arlen

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
Agreed, no reason to try to out-think the manufacturer.

Nothing wrong with polyurea greases, I'm sure, but I would consider compatibility. John Deere says that they use their "Grease-Gard Premium Plus" lithium complex grease for factory fill in their U-joints and axles, so I'm reluctant to switch over, especially since water resistance isn't a big component of my tractor useage.

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
Agreed, no reason to try to out-think the manufacturer.

Nothing wrong with polyurea greases, I'm sure, but I would consider compatibility. John Deere says that they use their "Grease-Gard Premium Plus" lithium complex grease for factory fill in their U-joints and axles, so I'm reluctant to switch over, especially since water resistance isn't a big component of my tractor useage.
True, but it also says " It is used by John Deere for initial factory-fill lubrication of U-joints and axle bearings and it is compatible with most other types of grease."

But good luck finding Grease-Gard. I can only find references to it on foreign websites. :)

Reactions: PJR832 and glc

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Amalie Pro Tac+ with 5% Moly Grease. Black nasty stuff that lasts much longer than the 2% or 3% moly sold in stores. I order by the case off Amazon.

"Amalie Pro Tac Plus Grease with Moly is a lithium complex grease fortified with molybdenum disulfide that meets Caterpillar s most stringent moly performance requirements. This robust grease prevents metal-on-metal contact under very high-shock loading conditions commonly found in agricultural and construction environments."

All the other greases I tried would only last a week before my backhoe would be squeaking and squawking again. With this stuff I can work it a couple months between greasing. I don't work it every day so it's hard to put and hourly rating on this.

·
Registered
2,031 Posts
True, but it also says " It is used by John Deere for initial factory-fill lubrication of U-joints and axle bearings and it is compatible with most other types of grease."

But good luck finding Grease-Gard. I can only find references to it on foreign websites. :)
Yup, but back to my original premise re: overthinking lubricants.....

For my little 1023E, the hardware store house brand of lithium-based grease is vastly more sophisticated than I need. What I actually use is MILSPEC G-403 Automotive and Artillery grease. The family biz since the Great Depression was petroleum formulation and packaging and I've been working my way through this case of MILSPEC lithium complex grease for more than 20 years...part of a military contract that my dad's company had. In the course of summer employment as a kid, I have filled and packaged more tubes of grease in one summer than you could possibly use in a lifetime. :)

Certainly nothing magic about Grease-Gard. Grease is grease.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Walmart has one that says it's John Deere approved. I am going to use that just because it will keep the warranty in place. But grease is grease for something like this. Other than mower deck bearings nothing on these moves fast. Mine has no mower deck. My little L110 does. But it has sealed bearings. I know because I have replaced them. It's 15 years old. But as slow as the parts we have move as long as you don't let them dry out it won't matter what you use. Especially since most of us are weekend warriors and don't even use our stuff every week. On my 2025R they say at 50 hours and the every 200 hours. Or yearly. I will likely do it every 100 hours. Just because that would be about 2 times a year. Most people over grease. I was cleaning up grease from my machine when it was new. The dealer got carried away with it. I had mine a week before they preped it. I had my trailer when I bought it. I wanted to get to know it and make sure it would lift a 1/3 pallet of fire logs off my truck so I took it home and took it back the next Saturday for prep. Because they have to worry about stupid people they make the lift capacity low for the size. My old grey market was smaller but would lift more. It was limited by when the rear picked up so more ballast more lift. I wanted to sell it but if the new one would not lift that I was going to keep it. It did so I sold the old one. When I picked it up from being prepped it was squirting grease all over things. Anyway if you don't keep it out of the weather grease it a lot more often as when the parts cool they will suck water in. In that case you need to push any water out. If I stored mine outside I would grease it every few times I used it in winter. If I use it for more than a few minutes in the rain or snow and the parts heat up I will grease it before I put it away as it will be wet as it cools. That's how water gets in.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
17,425 Posts
Walmart has one that says it's John Deere approved. I am going to use that just because it will keep the warranty in place. But grease is grease for something like this. Other than mower deck bearings nothing on these moves fast. Mine has no mower deck. My little L110 does. But it has sealed bearings. I know because I have replaced them. It's 15 years old. But as slow as the parts we have move as long as you don't let them dry out it won't matter what you use. Especially since most of us are weekend warriors and don't even use our stuff every week. On my 2025R they say at 50 hours and the every 200 hours. Or yearly. I will likely do it every 100 hours. Just because that would be about 2 times a year.
Keep in mind that the loader manual recommends greasing every 10 hrs. For a lot of things grease is grease and any grease is better than no grease. But for high stress areas like the loader and backhoe bushings you want something that can withstand extreme loads even though the parts move very slow.

·
Registered
1,679 Posts
Keep in mind that the loader manual recommends greasing every 10 hrs. For a lot of things grease is grease and any grease is better than no grease. But for high stress areas like the loader and backhoe bushings you want something that can withstand extreme loads even though the parts move very slow.
They are talking loader hours. I would say my loader or backhoe are used less than 10% of the engine hours. But I didn't notice that. I looked and you are correct so I may lube it more than I planned. It's new so I am sure it's still fine.

Sent from my QTAIR7 using Tapatalk

Reactions: glc

·
Premium Member
14,514 Posts
:good2:

I use the Poly stuff for everything except the backhoe. I bought what the manual recommended for that. Never gave it another thought.

I likely I over grease. :dunno: I've never had anything fail from being under or over greased.

Even though I use more than I likely need, I don't use that much so picking up a tube while I am at the dealer is no problem and it gives me an excuse to "browse".

·
Premium Member
1,746 Posts
Grease

I use lube-shuttle Moly disulfide (MoS2)

rob

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.