Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know much when it comes to any motor equipment (I retired from an office job), but I was looking for my weed eater in an outbuilding the other day, and found an unused case of grease that my father had left. My question is: can I use this on my 1023e, or do I need only John Deere grease?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
If its the same spec Deere wants, you can use it. Deere is just a name. They spec their grease and other things, and sometimes it is a bit better here or there, but overall, its just grease made to a certain specification.

Id be somewhat concerned about it possibly separating from age, but if it hasnt, and meets the specs, have at it!

·
Registered
4,204 Posts
I don't know much when it comes to any motor equipment (I retired from an office job), but I was looking for my weed eater in an outbuilding the other day, and found an unused case of grease that my father had left. My question is: can I use this on my 1023e, or do I need only John Deere grease?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

You can use any grease you want, but do make sure you use a high quality grease. After all, you paid good money for your equipment, don't you want to make sure it is taken care of properly. However, I only use the John Deere Multi-Purpose SD Polyurea Grease. I don't see it as any more expensive than any other high quality grease at $4 something per tube. I just picked up two more tubes this week at my local dealer. You can also order it at https://www.greenfarmparts.com/John-Deere-Multi-Purpose-Grease-TY6341-p/ty6341.htm which is one of our vendors on this forum.

grease.JPG

Dave

Reactions: arlen and JD4044M

·
Premium Member
13,042 Posts
Maybe more important than what kind of grease you use is the you USE grease.
Nothing more damaging than metal on metal in joints.
That is absolutely true for general grease applications but with high load pressure bushings like found on loaders and backhoes it is very important to use the correct grease. Use of incorrect grease can result in galling and accelerated bushing wear.

·
Registered
3,759 Posts
I like to use the JD polyurea grease too. It bleeds very little-if at all. I used to use synthetic Mobile 1 grease, and the guns were always bleeding a liquid about the consistency of tranny fluid.
If you look at the washout specs, it appears to be more waterproof than waterproof grease.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts