Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone found an effective way to grease the ball joints on the top link and side arms? I usually just wipe away the grime and apply some multi-purpose grease, but realize that I'm not getting any grease into the "race". Additionally, as I rotate the ball, most of the grease is wiped off by the socket. Is there something like bearing packer used to grease ball bearing?

It would be great if they had Zerc fittings, but know there would be a slight decrease in strength.

·
Premium Member
11,407 Posts
The preferred lubricant is Dry Lube spray. It penetrates well and doesn’t attract dirt and debris. Grease makes such a mess and attracts everything.

·
Registered
999 Posts
I use fluid film.

·
Premium Member
12,908 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,407 Posts
What are you guys using for the dry lube spray or fluid film?
Dry Lube and Fluid Film are different types of lube. Dry Lube spray goes on wet and evaporates totally dry where Fluid Film spray leaves a wet slippery coating.

·
Premium Member
11,407 Posts

·
Registered
22,059 Posts
Okay, I'm a dope. Didn't know Fluid Film was the actual name of the stuff. Thought it was a generic name. Thanks!
It’s a bit expensive but a little goes a long way.

used to be hard to find at retail locations - I used to order it from a vendor on Amazon - I think their name was Kell Sports.

Since I have no Deere dealers around here I now found it at Advance Auto. I bought a couple cans last year when it was on sale for around $8 a can.

I only have one tractor ane a couple implements - 1 can last me a year. Well worth the $8.

Another good thing about it is it is lanolin based and not petroleum based - doesn’t hurt if it gets on plastics or other stuff - even good for your hands!

And around the house and barn - nothing better for door hinges, locks, etc. I have old rolling barn doors - I spray rhe rollers once a year and can open and close those big heavy doors with one finger.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
Fluid film works great for protecting metal too, so if you have any exposed bare metal, spray it down with that!
As I understand, its basically lanolin in suspension...but it works.
I use it for lots of stuff, but not lube very often.
For those ball joints, I like a thin oil, or more recently, Deeres own Super Lube. That stuff is great!

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks. I'll give Fluid Film a try.

·
Premium Member
11,407 Posts
Fluid film works great for protecting metal too, so if you have any exposed bare metal, spray it down with that!
As I understand, its basically lanolin in suspension...but it works.
I use it for lots of stuff, but not lube very often.
For those ball joints, I like a thin oil, or more recently, Deeres own Super Lube. That stuff is great!
It sure does. Some folks buy Fluid Film by the gallon and use it to undercoat their vehicles. I tried it once on my subsoiler. Normally, after using the subsoiler the chisel is polished shiny and smooth and it will start to accumulate surface rust within 24 hours. After using it the last time I gave the chisel surface a shot of Fluid Film and the surface stayed rust free for around 3 months.

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
It sure does. Some folks buy Fluid Film by the gallon and use it to undercoat their vehicles. I tried it once on my subsoiler. Normally, after using the subsoiler the chisel is polished shiny and smooth and it will start to accumulate surface rust within 24 hours. After using it the last time I gave the chisel surface a shot of Fluid Film and the surface stayed rust free for around 3 months.
A great product for that application would be Deeres Soft Black Coating.
Used to use it on my single bottom little plow after a plow day. It comes right off as soon as you hit the dirt again, and keeps the rust away for as long as its on there.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I picked up a can of Fluid Film at my local Advance Auto. It sure makes lubing the ball joints easy. How well does it work for other pivot joints under heavy moving loads (e.g. pivot points down by the rear axle?

·
Premium Member
11,407 Posts
I picked up a can of Fluid Film at my local Advance Auto. It sure makes lubing the ball joints easy. How well does it work for other pivot joints under heavy moving loads (e.g. pivot points down by the rear axle?
If you mean the other ball joints on the other end of the 3PH lift arms it works quite well. It works well for just about any joint. I have a 2720 also and I like to give a squirt where the 3PH lever pivots to keep it moving smoothly. I also give a shot on the threads and ball joints of the top-link to keep it moving smoothly.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Has anyone found an effective way to grease the ball joints on the top link and side arms? I usually just wipe away the grime and apply some multi-purpose grease, but realize that I'm not getting any grease into the "race". Additionally, as I rotate the ball, most of the grease is wiped off by the socket. Is there something like bearing packer used to grease ball bearing?

It would be great if they had Zerc fittings, but know there would be a slight decrease in strength.
I use dry graphite spray.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts