Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ì used the BH this weekend to dig a drain tile trench. First part of the project was to "dredge" part of the "creek" the tile will dump into. Doing such, the bucket was under a couple feet of water for most of that. All went well and it's done. Thought it would be good to grease all the zerks today since the bucket spent its Saturday under water.

On the entire backhoe there are 13 fittings I greased. But since the BH was still attached so I could exercise the pivots after greasing, I couldn't get a look at the front pivot for the swing cylinder, because it was right up against the PTO shield. After detaching the BH I was surprised to see there isn't a zerk at that location. I looked and felt all around but couldn't find one. Nothing on the top or bottom of the pivot pin. The pin is flat on both ends, with the retainer bolt on the bottom. No zerk on the cylinders cap that also is the pivot. Curious if everyone else's like this? Mine's a 2014 (year).

Did notice there isn't any zerks on the stabilizers, so maybe this pivot can't be greased either :dunno: Just seems odd that it's the only pivot that doesn't get greased on the main unit.

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
It's tough to tell from that photo exactly where you think there should be a zerk fitting. You mention the swing cylinder. If I looks at the parts diagram for the 260 backhoe it shows a zerk fitting on both the cylinder and rod end of the swing cylinder.

·
Super Moderator
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Forgot the edited photo. My bad.

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
Here's the parts illustration for the 260 swing cylinder. #7 are the zerk fittings.

Attachments

Reactions: North585

·
Super Moderator
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here's the parts illustration for the 260 swing cylinder. #7 are the zerk fittings.

Yeah I see that in the parts catalog, thanks. The one on the left of the picture would be the one I'm looking for, but it's not there. Looks like the pic is kinda generic. The same pic is used for the boom and bucket cylinders too, though listing different part numbers for the rod, cylinder, etc. The dipperstick cylinder shows more seals, and only list 1 zerk.

Curious if anyone actually has a zerk on theirs.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
I just finished greasing my 260 backhoe a few days ago. The manual shows 15 zerks in its diagrams, and I found 15 zerks that I greased. On the swing cylinder, I had a zerk on the end closest to the boom. From what I can see, there isn't one on the other end. But my view is blocked a lot on the end closest to the tractor. Next time I have the backhoe off the tractor, I can look at this area more closely. It seems logical that there should be a zerk there. If there is, the manual is once again wrong.

For the pivot points on the stabilizers, the manual recommends SAE 10 oil. I found some at a farm and ranch store, but it was about the 5th place I looked for it. I had to buy a whole quart so I have a llfetime supply for all of us. Stop by if you'd like me to fill your oiling can.

The manual also says to "lubricate the cylinders". I could interpret this many ways. I'm assuming this means the zerks on the pivot points at the ends of the cylinders. I remember that the exposed pistons should be lubed for storage, but I would be reluctant to do this for normal use. You'd just attract a lot of dirt.

·
Super Moderator
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just finished greasing my 260 backhoe a few days ago. The manual shows 15 zerks in its diagrams, and I found 15 zerks that I greased. I'll look again today as I only found 13. I think it was the bucket cylinders rod end had 2, which I found surprising as all the other points had 1.

On the swing cylinder, I had a zerk on the end closest to the boom. Me too. From what I can see, there isn't one on the other end. But my view is blocked a lot on the end closest to the tractor. Same here. When I detached the BH I thought it would be right there in the open. The pin has zero grease or any lubricant. Doesn't seem like there is any wear, but being a major pivot point you would think it should be greasable. Next time I have the backhoe off the tractor, I can look at this area more closely. It seems logical that there should be a zerk there. Agreed. If there is, the manual is once again wrong. Really? That never happens :lolol:

For the pivot points on the stabilizers, the manual recommends SAE 10 oil. The pins on the stabs are dry but seem nice and loose without being sloppy. Guess I'm reluctant to oil them for dirt attraction. Probably run them as is for now. I found some at a farm and ranch store, but it was about the 5th place I looked for it. I had to buy a whole quart so I have a llfetime supply for all of us. Stop by if you'd like me to fill your oiling can. Appreciate that.
:laugh: I'll bring the oil squirter next time I go through Colorado (might be a while) :laugh:

The manual also says to "lubricate the cylinders". I could interpret this many ways. Ditto. Baby powder? :laugh: I'm assuming this means the zerks on the pivot points at the ends of the cylinders. I remember that the exposed pistons should be lubed for storage, but I would be reluctant to do this for normal use. You'd just attract a lot of dirt. Agreed.
Replies in Red. Thanks :thumbup1gif:

Reactions: keane

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
For the pivot points on the stabilizers, the manual recommends SAE 10 oil. I found some at a farm and ranch store, but it was about the 5th place I looked for it. I had to buy a whole quart so I have a llfetime supply for all of us. Stop by if you'd like me to fill your oiling can.
I'm not a backhoe guy. Is there some technical reason that they wouldn't have grease zerks on the stabilizers? I mean, everything else has a zerk why not these? I don't think I'd get too hung up on the 10 wt. oil thing. I mean I'm sure 15, 20 wt. would hang in there just fine. In fact something like Fluid Film would probably give longer lasting lubrication.

Reactions: kylew

·
Super Moderator
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update: Did find 15 zerks. 1 I know I missed, not sure on the other. Looked over the swing cylinders front pivot again. Definitely no grease zerk. I guess per the manual this falls into the catagory of using 10W oil.

·
Registered
78 Posts
This doesn't help you directly, but out of curiousity I checked my 260B and there are zerks at each end of the swing cylinder.

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Update: Did find 15 zerks. 1 I know I missed, not sure on the other. Looked over the swing cylinders front pivot again. Definitely no grease zerk. I guess per the manual this falls into the catagory of using 10W oil.
Rather than oil this pin, I'd be more likely to pull it, clean it, and then brush the HD Moly grease on it. With the transport pins in place, I'm thinking there shouldn't be much pressure on this pin with the tractor's engine off and the appropriate valves wiggled.

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
As others have said, the 260 BH has a grease fitting at the swing cylinder rod end but the barrel end (tractor end) does not have one. The barrel end pin has plastic bushings in it, most likely because this end of the cylinder really doesn't rotate on this pin very much. The rod end of the cylinder rotates allot on the pin.

I shoot JD spray lube on this pivot and the outrigger pivots along with all of the other non-greasable lube points on the tractor. E.g. linkage pins.

https://jdparts.deere.com/partsmkt/document/english/pmac/5454_fb_SyntheticLubricants.htm

Attachments

Reactions: keane and kylew

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,123 Posts
I've use these products, for like ever.

The open gear lube works really well on the three point hitch ball ends.

Attachments

Reactions: kylew and Ray_PA

·
Premium Member
2,147 Posts
I've use these products, for like ever.

The open gear lube works really well on the three point hitch ball ends.
Yep, these work too!! I am a firm believer in lube it. What manufacturer of lube you use isn't that important as long as the lube type corresponds to what you are lubing. :good2:

Reactions: kylew and Gizmo2

·
Super Moderator
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This doesn't help you directly, but out of curiousity I checked my 260B and there are zerks at each end of the swing cylinder.
The B must mean the pivot now B greasable :lol:

Reactions: MN_Pete and Gizmo2

·
Super Moderator
2,607 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Rather than oil this pin, I'd be more likely to pull it, clean it, and then brush the HD Moly grease on it. With the transport pins in place, I'm thinking there shouldn't be much pressure on this pin with the tractor's engine off and the appropriate valves wiggled.
I thought this too, now that I've got it detached from the tractor. :thumbup1gif:

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
Which kind of proves the point that this pin SHOULD be greased and JD just screwed the pooch by omitting zerk on the previous model.

·
Premium Member
13,083 Posts
I noticed that the stabilizers on the backhoe on the Kubota BX series has pins with grease fittings on the end similar to how the loader pins are setup.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts