Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just wondering everyone's thoughts on greasing the 5 ports on the Z915E. I think the manual says to grease every 50 hours. How many pumps? 2 or 3 on each fitting sufficient?

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have one of these. Love it. I mow about 5 acres once a week so I personally grease before every mow. Usually 3 pumps. All 5 zerks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,980 Posts
Eh, that’s a bit excessive. I wouldn’t grease the zerks unless you were changing the other oil or sharpening the blades. The next reason for bearing failure after lack of lubrication, is over lubrication. I know that sounds odd, but too much grease causes the rolling elements to skid rather than roll. That in itself will destroy a good bearing in short order.

The front casters don’t move fast. The grease doesn’t really have anywhere to go. This lowers the interval at which they need servicing. The spindles on the other hand are high speed and excess grease will find its way past the seals. These want a little bit (1-2 pumps) every couple of hours, or 5-6 pumps every so often when you do other maintenance.

Good luck with your new Z! :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
38 Posts
Good advice. Thank you. Learned something new. Figured with how much I turn it’d be necessary. Always heard great your tractor before very use.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
20,980 Posts
It really depends on what you’re greasing. While I used to be in the “some is good, more is better, and too-much is just right” camp, that can cause issues. Now plain bearings like those on your loader, a backhoe, bushings, idler wheels, anti-scalp wheels, etc, those are perfect and prefer to be greased often. :good2:

·
Premium Member
13,053 Posts
It really depends on what you’re greasing. While I used to be in the “some is good, more is better, and too-much is just right” camp, that can cause issues. Now plain bearings like those on your loader, a backhoe, bushings, idler wheels, anti-scalp wheels, etc, those are perfect and prefer to be greased often. :good2:
Right! The only downside to over greasing loader and backhoe bushings is finding a messy glob on the garage floor.

Reactions: dieselshadow
1 - 6 of 6 Posts