Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
311 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Did all maintenance on the 750, and got the gearbox oil checked on the 60HC.

Put 15 pumps of grease in each spindle...nothing coming out any where that I could see.

Is there a trick to this? How much grease? Suggestions?

Thanks, Daubs

·
Registered
x739, 54HC, 47SB
21 Posts
I had a similar situation just list las weekend with my 54HC.

Grease did come out underneath the deck at the spindles. Wondering if a seal blew out when that happened?

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
After reading at least 100 threads on this, my manual, and watching videos of people rebuilding spindles, my conclusion was that the bearings are sealed and the grease does absolutely nothing except keep the shaft/housing insides from rusting. My manual says to lube them every 25 hours - I give them 2-3 pumps every 10 hrs. If you take the spindles apart and pry the seals off the bearings, that would be another story. YMMV.

·
Premium Member
131 Posts
I'm not sure of the specific details regarding sealed bearings, but I do suggest greasing the spindles with a manual hand pump grease gun (as opposed to a DeWalt) because the gun gives you some feedback as to when it's full. Point of fact is that I don't think that it needs to be full. but definitely would want some in there but not too much such that the spindle gets overpacked.

Reactions: DaubsNU1

·
Registered
33 Posts
The older ultimate series dont have sealed bearings and i would think the new signature ones dont either. The grease will push out the bottom its designed to there. If its a new tractor they may not filled them up enough i just put abt 5 pumps each in abt twice a year also a pump in each deck wheel at same time.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I have a 2019 X590 with the 48A deck. When I greased the spindles last week, I discovered that after about 10-12 pumps some grease exited a weep hole on the underside of each spindle. I too saw several YouTube videos that demonstrated why the sealed bearings may not get grease due to the seal. I guess I will keep greasing and hope the spindles last a few more years. What could it hurt. It seems silly that JD would put a grease zerk there and have it be of no value to the spindle bearings.

·
Registered
x739, 54HC, 47SB
21 Posts
The older ultimate series dont have sealed bearings and i would think the new signature ones dont either. The grease will push out the bottom its designed to there. If its a new tractor they may not filled them up enough i just put abt 5 pumps each in abt twice a year also a pump in each deck wheel at same time.
Yeah mine would have been a 2020 54HC and this was it's first greasing at 25 hours. It probably took 20 pumps per. I guess worst case I wasted a tube of grease. I'll probably give it a few pumps every year at changeover and call it good.

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
At normal greasing intervals 2-3 pumps is all it takes. I don't think it comes out anywhere so you can't judge by that.

Rob

·
Registered
988 Posts
At normal greasing intervals 2-3 pumps is all it takes. I don't think it comes out anywhere so you can't judge by that.

Rob
This ^

Unlike a plain bearing, such as a ball joint, or a needle bearing such as in a U-joint, there is ample space inside a ball or roller bearing carrier, and you can pump a lot of grease there before it starts oozing out somewhere, which it shouldn't need to do. Oozed-out grease is wasted grease. Just 3-4 pumps every 5-10 hours should suffice, it's not going to leave the bearing area unless there's a blown seal. My personal practice is three pumps in each spindle every other time I mow (and a full mowing takes about 6 hours for me), which is twice a week right now, so the spindles get greased once a week. Later in the summer when the grass slows down, they still get a once a week greasing. The deck's drive shaft U-joints and slip joint get a single pump every other week.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts