Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

On my old LX288 I remember the dealer telling me to give the deck spindle bearings two shots of grease about once a month. I forgot to ask him about the new X320. I see in the manual it says once every 50 hours or annually. That seems to be a long time between greasing.

I mow about 3/4 of an acre, and it takes about an hour or so. So, around every 4 hours on the mower, should I give the mower spindles a couple of shots of grease as I did on my last one? I never had an issue with the bearings, but I certainly don't want to over grease them either.

Also, I normally use Valvoline Synpower synthetic grease because... well, I use it on everything else... ATV, trailer bearings, u-joints on the 4Runner, and anything else that needs greasing. Do you guys prefer to use the JD synthetic grease, or do you think the Valvoline is fine. I know it's probably overkill on the axle pivot, axle spindles, and the lift pedal, but what the heck... that's what's in the gun. :laugh:

Anyhow, wanted to get your recommend grease and greasing intervals, or what you guys do and use.

Thanks.

·
Registered
280 Posts
i think thats a little to often, if you grease to much then dirt can get in especially if it starts to come out of the bearings, then that leads into premature spindle failure.

now i would say to give it 2 pumps of grease every 25 hours, or once every season.

dont pump until it comes out!!!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i think thats a little to often, if you grease to much then dirt can get in especially if it starts to come out of the bearings, then that leads into premature spindle failure.

now i would say to give it 2 pumps of grease every 25 hours, or once every season.

dont pump until it comes out!!!
Thanks jfoi,

Makes sense. Do you recommend the JD synthetic grease, or do you think the Valvoline synthetic is fine?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I give mine 1 pump every 10 hours. I only use the Red JD grease or Lucas "red and tacky". I use that on everything as it repels water rather than mixing with it. It also sticks to everything and anything more than the "normal" black or brown grease. I recomend you try it, I think you would like it.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I give mine 1 pump every 10 hours. I only use the Red JD grease or Lucas "red and tacky". I use that on everything as it repels water rather than mixing with it. It also sticks to everything and anything more than the "normal" black or brown grease. I recomend you try it, I think you would like it.
Thanks Brian,

Which JD grease is the red grease? Also, do you use the same stuff on the axles spindles?

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
The Deere Grease we use is this stuff I think.
[h=1]Multi-Purpose SD Polyurea Grease (TY6341, TY24421, TY24422, TY26982, CXTY24419)[/h]
I think that stuff is a clear green/blueish. It could also be the corn head grease we use?

As for the red and tacky, it is used in everything from wheel bearings, u joints to tie rods.. Flat out everything. Its a grease that is hard to wipe off its so sticky and that is what I want in my grease.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The Deere Grease we use is this stuff I think.
Multi-Purpose SD Polyurea Grease (TY6341, TY24421, TY24422, TY26982, CXTY24419)

I think that stuff is a clear green/blueish. It could also be the corn head grease we use?

As for the red and tacky, it is used in everything from wheel bearings, u joints to tie rods.. Flat out everything. Its a grease that is hard to wipe off its so sticky and that is what I want in my grease.
Thanks again Brian. I can pick up the Lucas Red & Tacky very easy. I'll go with that for everything. :good2: Heck, I might even splurge and pick up one of those JD grease guns. That way, I'll know what grease is for the tractor. :D

·
Administrator
17,519 Posts
I use the JD Green Polyurea grease myself, and I have one of the JD pistol grip guns as well-works real nice.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Wow, how timely. I am in the process of changing grease brands. I had been using Mobil 1 synthetic. The problem was it would leach oil and my gun was always a mess. So, I am making the jump to Deere's synthetic. And yup, gonna use it in everything. I sure hope my problem goes away. Here is some reading for ya.

Attachments

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Guys,

Reading around a bit more on this. I find that it is not a good idea to mix polyuera grease with lithium greases. JD recommends their polyuera grease OR their lithium grease... but they don't tell you what they put in what?

So, when you guys use a new grease in the mower bearings, or axle spindles, do you "flush" out the old grease with the new grease on the initial application?

·
Registered
280 Posts
we use the john deere multi-purpose lithium grease (PT507) it is designed really for any application

we also use Multi-Purpose Polyurea High-Temperature Extreme-Pressure (EP) Grease (TY6431)

really if you look at the charts as long as the grease from john deere is in your temperature rating its ok to use

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to satisfy my curiosity, I had a look at the axle spindles grease zerks and the lift assembly spindle zerk... all of them had an "amber" color grease. If the factory stuff matches the stuff they sell in tubes (by color of grease), then they are using the all-purpose lithium based grease for those areas.

I had at look at the zerks on the mower spindles, but I couldn't see one speck of grease. I'll have a look underneath over the weekend and see if any grease has oozed out and see what color that is.

If nothing else, I'll have peace of mind. :D

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Wow, how timely. I am in the process of changing grease brands. I had been using Mobil 1 synthetic. The problem was it would leach oil and my gun was always a mess. So, I am making the jump to Deere's synthetic. And yup, gonna use it in everything. I sure hope my problem goes away.
Randy,

Went to my dealer today. He doesn't carry the JD synthetic grease, and doesn't plan on getting it soon. I'm looking around for the AMSOIL equivalent. I can pick it up easy. I also plan on checking another dealer up the road a ways for the JD synthetic.

In the meantime, I did pick up the JD trigger grease gun... pretty nice. Seems a bit more heavy duty than my current trigger gun. However, it's "lonely" without some grease. :laugh:

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
Can I ask why you want synthetic grease so bad?

I just read my Lucas Red & tacky and its a lithium with a blend of polimers and anti-sieze and anti-wear additives. Its not synthetic.

·
Registered
280 Posts
what dealer you deal with? which ones you going to

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Can I ask why you want synthetic grease so bad?
Hey Brian,

I just like how synthetics perform. My dad had a garage, and I was able to see how well synthetic oil, gear lubes, trani fluids, and grease do their job in cars, trucks, tractors, and ATV's.

From what I've seen, they clean better, lubricate better, hold up better, and last longer. However, I admit, I am a maintenance freak, and usually "overdo" it, and the dino products are just fine in most situations.

This is probably going to be my last tractor, and I want it to last, with a minimum amount of issues. If I was planning on trading it, or selling it in a few years, it would be a different story.

I know, I know... dealer tells me the same thing... "YOU DON'T NEED TO USE SYNTHETICS". :lol:

·
Premium Member
3,565 Posts
I am on the same page you are with oils. I use synthetics in every place I can. Grease is a different story. I want my grease to be sticky, tackey, and thick. I guess I grease stuff enough that I look for specific qualities in grease that I have yet to find in a synthetic grease. I have not tried JD syn grease.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
You make a good point Brian... can't argue with you there.

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Randy,

Went to my dealer today. He doesn't carry the JD synthetic grease, and doesn't plan on getting it soon. I'm looking around for the AMSOIL equivalent. I can pick it up easy. I also plan on checking another dealer up the road a ways for the JD synthetic.

In the meantime, I did pick up the JD trigger grease gun... pretty nice. Seems a bit more heavy duty than my current trigger gun. However, it's "lonely" without some grease. :laugh:
Dave,

Actually, I ordered my grease through JDParts. It worked extremely well for me. Once you enter in the quantity it shows you the quantities the dealer has or doesn't have in stock. In my situation I ordered a case quantity, it showed the dealer had some and had to order the rest. Once the order is in he e-mails me and I go pick it up. You also have the option to have hime send it to you. Try it, works great. :thumbup1gif:

And, I am with on the synthetic oils and greases.:good2: Brian just over thinks things some times. :tongue:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts