Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guys, I have an older video showing a way to grease this hard to reach fitting by taking shield off and reaching in from the top. However, this is no longer possible on 2018 and later 1-series tractors, as this shield appears to be all one piece, and not nearly as easily removed.

So, this new video shows the approach recommended by many of you here on GTT. Use a needle nozzle to inject grease directly into the ball of the fitting. Nothing new to most of you, but hopefully educational to those newer 1023e/1025r owners.

I also show off a new type of grease gun. No plunger, no leaking out the tail end! ...along with a discount code. Hope you enjoy!

·
Registered
130 Posts
I'm glad you posted this. I've read many posts lately here on GTT about the dreaded driveshaft zerk, but didn't know exactly where it was. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,873 Posts
Thanks Tim for posting here. I have watched your early videos (obviously as I've mentioned in other posts), but only rarely visit YouTube. Haven't checked site, but the new gun seems to require proprietary grease tubes. Too bad there isn't an adapter or transfer piece so you can use your choice of grease.

·
Premium Member
13,615 Posts
I haven't examined under my 2025R but I'm sure i've got the same PITA zerk to grease shortly!

Kevin.
Yes, you do, but maybe I just have something figured out I don’t seem to have much trouble, ditch the hose coupler and use an angled rigid pipe coupler. The hardest part is getting it lined up with the flywheel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks Tim for posting here. I have watched your early videos (obviously as I've mentioned in other posts), but only rarely visit YouTube. Haven't checked site, but the new gun seems to require proprietary grease tubes. Too bad there isn't an adapter or transfer piece so you can use your choice of grease.
These are the standard tubes and gun types in Europe, so lots of grease variety there, apparently.

These guys have lots of types of grease available at fair prices, so I’m comfortable with that for now.

Tim

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, you do, but maybe I just have something figured out I don’t seem to have much trouble, ditch the hose coupler and use an angled rigid pipe coupler. The hardest part is getting it lined up with the flywheel.

I never really thought about using a rigid pipe. ...but hey, then I wouldn't have anything to complain about in the videos :)

·
Premium Member
13,615 Posts
I never really thought about using a rigid pipe. ...but hey, then I wouldn't have anything to complain about in the videos :)
It’s still a bear to get lined up, mostly done by feel and then listen for that unique sound as you pointed out in your video.
Side note though, it has to be the angled pipe, I’ve also tried with the straight pipe coupler and couldn’t get on it.

·
Registered
58 Posts
These are the standard tubes and gun types in Europe, so lots of grease variety there, apparently.

These guys have lots of types of grease available at fair prices, so I’m comfortable with that for now.

Tim
Tim which one of the greases would I order that would be as close as possible to the John Deere Brand I didn’t see in your video, I have 50 hours on it today so it’s time and thanks for all the great tips.

JD 1023-E 2017 H-120 Loader, 54” AC MMD, Ballast Box, 47” JD Snowblower w/Quick Hitch & Remote Control Chute Flap, OT Cab w/Glass Windshield, Wiper, Heater, Armrest added, Front Led Lights, JD IMatch QH, Rear Hitch Receiver, Rear 3-pt Blade
Interest: Woodworking-Tractors-Chris-Craft Boats.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
tim which one of the greases would i order that would be as close as possible to the john deere brand i didn’t see in your video, i have 50 hours on it today so it’s time and thanks for all the great tips.

Jd 1023-e 2017 h-120 loader, 54” ac mmd, ballast box, 47” jd snowblower w/quick hitch & remote control chute flap, ot cab w/glass windshield, wiper, heater, armrest added, front led lights, jd imatch qh, rear hitch receiver, rear 3-pt blade
interest: Woodworking-tractors-chris-craft boats.
Sent from my iphone using tapatalk
g200ep

·
Registered
164 Posts

Yup found it!

What genius at JD engineering thought a tiny hole like that would suffice to line up a grease gun onto a zerk, and not even leave anywhere to stick your fingers or a light into to confirm it's connected...or even close?!?

Messed around with it for a while but never did get it greased properly this time. I did have a grease needle that I had, but i'm pretty sure it was too big to fit in behind the ball and not just leak grease out all over the place. Managed to get all the others greased though while I was under there.

I thought I had many of the tell-tale sounds of the "click" latching onto the fitting but I was wrong. Thought I had it pretty well lined up but the fitting on the grease gun seemed a bit too long to get it twisted and situated to the correct angle to actually lock on.

How did you get the zerk to take grease with the pipe coupler?

Kevin.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Do you prefer the needle end to the Lock n' Lube XL? I just bought the XL but have not used it yet.

Thanks for doing these maintenance videos. Until I watched your earlier greasing video, I had somehow missed the whole engine driveshaft greasing. They motivate me do more maintenance. Thanks, coach!

·
Premium Member
455 Posts
Tim’s channel has been supremely helpful to me as a new 1025R owner. Every time that I have a question about how to do something, like making a swale, he has a video.

This is just another arrow in the quiver of tractor ownership.

Thanks Tim!

·
Registered
46 Posts
Tim’s channel has been supremely helpful to me as a new 1025R owner. Every time that I have a question about how to do something, like making a swale, he has a video.

This is just another arrow in the quiver of tractor ownership.

Thanks Tim!
I completely agree with this. I found Tim’s channel while waiting delivery of my tractor and has helped a lot. Thanks Tim

·
Registered
40 Posts
The downside is that the videos have cost me a lot of money! First the Artillian grapple (which I would never have considered without the video to create my need), then the Heavy Hitch toolbar, etc. etc. and most recently the WD-40 industrial cleaner. Now I suppose I need to shop for a new grease gun...

Off topic, the cleaner takes the diesel soot off the loader parking stand with a single squirt and wipe. I then tried it on the wood fireplace glass doors, amazing results. Check out the TTWT video.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Do you prefer the needle end to the Lock n' Lube XL? I just bought the XL but have not used it yet.

Thanks for doing these maintenance videos. Until I watched your earlier greasing video, I had somehow missed the whole engine driveshaft greasing. They motivate me do more maintenance. Thanks, coach!
I couldn't get the LockNLube XL to fit on that fitting. I got a regular coupler to fit on it once, but fought it the next time until I got tired. From now on, it will be the needle for me. This was the easiest way I have found to grease that particular fitting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I couldn't get the LockNLube XL to fit on that fitting. I got a regular coupler to fit on it once, but fought it the next time until I got tired. From now on, it will be the needle for me. This was the easiest way I have found to grease that particular fitting.
Today was the "dreaded" day. Watched your great video, but of course my needle was in my tool box at work. Well, let's see what everyone is talking about. Couldn't get a regular coupler and hose on, remembered I had a rigid one 4" long and 4" too short! Then noticed the coupler on my mini grease gone was slighter smaller in diameter so tried that. I got it on through the space behind the stupid little hole (where some hoses go through) and greased it. Then fought for quite a while to get the coupler to come off. NOT doing that again. Nice job John Deere.

Thanks Tim.

·
Registered
929 Posts
Today was the "dreaded" day. Watched your great video, but of course my needle was in my tool box at work. Well, let's see what everyone is talking about. Couldn't get a regular coupler and hose on, remembered I had a rigid one 4" long and 4" too short! Then noticed the coupler on my mini grease gone was slighter smaller in diameter so tried that. I got it on through the space behind the stupid little hole (where some hoses go through) and greased it. Then fought for quite a while to get the coupler to come off. NOT doing that again. Nice job John Deere.

Thanks Tim.
Re: the bolded, I ended up getting stitches from wrestling the grease gun coupler off the fitting last time I did that. I was laying underneath the tractor and the couple got stuck, I pulled and pulled and when it finally let go, the handle of the gun hit me right about my right eye. $%$*#*&#

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
The downside is that the videos have cost me a lot of money! First the Artillian grapple (which I would never have considered without the video to create my need), then the Heavy Hitch toolbar, etc. etc. and most recently the WD-40 industrial cleaner. Now I suppose I need to shop for a new grease gun...

Off topic, the cleaner takes the diesel soot off the loader parking stand with a single squirt and wipe. I then tried it on the wood fireplace glass doors, amazing results. Check out the TTWT video.
This forum has that effect on a lot of people, me included!
The thing is, I just look at it like Im paying (for the attachments and extras) for the education I also get here.
It has helped me a lot more than I ever thought it would, both before I bought and after. :bigthumb:

Reactions: Levi and PJR832
1 - 20 of 75 Posts