Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new x570 and am at a loss at how much grease to put into the spindles. I read just 2 or 3 pumps up to pump till the grease comes out. I know the pump till it comes out use to be true. But I dont want to break something or push out a seal. Can someone confirm how much to put in ? As my deck is making noise. And i think it's the spindles being dry, I cant find anything else that could be vibrating / rattling / whatever this noise is.
Thanks for helping.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
Your Operator's Manual says:

• Lift on spindle side shields (A) and lubricate three mower spindle grease fittings (B) with two pumps of grease at specified intervals. Lubricate idler arm pivot grease fitting (C) with two pumps of grease at specified interval.
Every 50 Hours or Annually

• Lubricate front axle pivot and axle spindles.
  • Lubricate mower deck spindles.
  • Lubricate idler arm pivot.
  • Lubricate lift pedal, if equipped.
  • Lubricate rear U-Joints (X584).
  • Lubricate front steering link (X584).
Keep in mind that the bearings in the spindles are SEALED and all greasing does is fill the void in the spindle housing with grease to keep water away from the seals (see highlighted area in illustration below). So the very first time you grease it can take quite a few pumps to initially fill the void. After that two pumps should do it. I grease my X500 a bit more often, several times a season.

Edit - I should have added. If your bearings are "dry", noisy or otherwise feel rough when you turn the spindle, the bearings are already BAD and no amount of greasing is going to help them.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
I a 98 345 that I grease the mower spindles every 4-5 mowings and never had a problem. Noise means their on their way to needing replacement.

·
Registered
225 Posts
If you grease it until you see grease every time, you are going to have grease thrown all over your mower deck. I made that mistake once, won't go past 1 or 2 pumps now.

·
Premium Member
10,693 Posts
If you grease it until you see grease every time, you are going to have grease thrown all over your mower deck. I made that mistake once, won't go past 1 or 2 pumps now.
It wipes off somewhat easily. Not that I have any first hand experience or anything. :)

1 - 5 of 5 Posts