Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 119 Posts

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some on here are relatively new to tractors, and maybe to maintaining their own. There are a lot of the very basic maintenance items that anyone can do. And basic maintenance, makes your tractor and its components last much longer, and give worry free hours. I've already talked about oil changes and air filters, so today, I am talking zerks.

Zerk fittings allow grease to be forced into areas that would not otherwise be easy to lube. It is important to grease the zerks regularly. You or your mechanic grease them on your car or truck, with every oil change. I grease mine on my 1050 monthly, but I may be a little obsessive about it. I think grease is cheap, compared to the cost of replacement parts.

The first thing you need to do is gather a few shop towels and your grease gun. I usually carry an extra cylinder of grease too, as oftentimes, the grease gun you pick up will be empty or not have enough in it to finish the job. (I have read here on GTT, that I am not the only one this happens to! :laugh:) Then, locate all of your zerks. Don't forget, your implements have zerk fittings too, and so you may as well hit them while you are at it!!

Here is one of my zerks. This one is on my steering linkage. Pretty important to keep that working correctly. You can see how dirty they can get between each greasing.

100_2203 - C.JPG

Use a shop towel and wipe all of the dust and dirt off that you can. You don't want to push that dirt into where you are greasing. Dirt can be abrasive, and we want things able to move freely, without sand paper grit in there.

100_2205 - C.JPG

Here is how the grease gun nozzle fits on the zerk.

100_2208 - C.JPG

I add grease until I see some coming out from around the area being greased. In this case, there is old dark grease coming out from the bottom of the linkage I was greasing. This is right after I disconnected the grease gun from the zerk. My fresh grease is red. The old grease was too, a few short weeks ago, as it is the same brand as the fresh.

100_2210 - C.JPG

Go ahead and wipe the excess grease off of the zerk, as well as what exudes from the linkage. No sense in leaving the excess there to collect extra dirt. That just makes your job bigger next time.

100_2211 - C.JPG

And there you have it!

The thing that takes the longest for me with this job, is cleaning the grease off of my hands, (and my arms, out of my hair, etc). If a grease gun is anywhere within arm's reach of me, I tend to wear some (a lot!) of it! But, I have learned to have plenty of shop towels handy before beginning the job! If I knew how to be neat about it, it would be a 5 minute job to do them all, once supplies were at the tractor.

Now, go grease your zerks!!

·
Super Moderator
4,956 Posts

·
Corndog Hater
11,464 Posts
Thanks FG, and I listened…I did grease zerks today? Ok, maybe not on all of my stuff though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Old Pa-pa
11,512 Posts
The thing that takes the longest for me with this job, is cleaning the grease off of my hands, (and my arms, out of my hair, etc). If a grease gun is anywhere within arm's reach of me, I tend to wear some (a lot!) of it! But, I have learned to have plenty of shop towels handy before beginning the job! If I knew how to be neat about it, it would be a 5 minute job to do them all, once supplies were at the tractor.

Now, go grease your zerks!!
I take a new roll of paper towels out with me, if I have any left when finished, that means I'm being exceptionally
neat about it.:lol:

Good point about cleaning any excess grease or oil, really dust magnets.

Cajun

·
Premium Member
7,433 Posts
Now if I could only convince FG :lovetongue: to come grease my tractors as I hate that job; but most of us do as we consider grease guns evil.

I can't stand that damn red grease as it seems to be wax based, and won't stick where you want it to; but get gets everywhere you don't want it to...even more so than regular grease

I just bought a couple of Lock-n-Lube grease couplers for my grease guns. I have yet to try them out; but they sure seem promising. However; I'll need to replace a few Zerks on the 4200 because of the extra length of the Lock-n-Lube.

LocknLube® grease gun coupler ends greasing frustration.

I got mine via Amazon.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,216 Posts
I take a new roll of paper towels out with me, if I have any left when finished, that means I'm being exceptionally
neat about it.:lol:

Good point about cleaning any excess grease or oil, really dust magnets.

Cajun
And messy! I have a locknLube on one of my guns and it works great where you need both hands on the gun. Plus I bought a needle valve so I'll be using the LocknLube to hold it when I use that. Nice post FG. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
6,593 Posts
Great write-up FG and a well done post. Keep up the good work. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
503 Posts
Definitely a worthwhile post FG and well written.:thumbup1gif: If I can add, pick up a 90 degree coupling adapter. It goes on the end of the regular grease gun coupling and helps to get into spots that are otherwise a real PITA (like the center spindle of a belly mower). I would also suggest a rechargeable grease gun like the Milwaukee. It makes greasing with one hand so much easier and when it's easier, you tend to do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
503 Posts

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,618 Posts

·
Old Pa-pa
11,512 Posts
EXCELLENT POST FARMGIRL!!! Pet Peeve of mine is people who call lubrication fittings "Zerts". That dishonors Oscar ZERK who developed the most common lube fitting used today back in 1929.
Oscar Zerk, 1929, done learned something new............Again!:good2:

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Now if I could only convince FG to come grease my tractors as I hate that job; but most of us do as we consider grease guns evil.

I can't stand that damn red grease as it seems to be wax based, and won't stick where you want it to; but get gets everywhere you don't want it to...even more so than regular grease

I just bought a couple of Lock-n-Lube grease couplers for my grease guns. I have yet to try them out; but they sure seem promising. However; I'll need to replace a few Zerks on the 4200 because of the extra length of the Lock-n-Lube.

LocknLube® grease gun coupler ends greasing frustration.

I got mine via Amazon.
What are you offering? :hide: :)

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Oscar Zerk, 1929, done learned something new............Again!:good2:
That is why GTT is the best forum on the internet!! :good2:

1 - 20 of 119 Posts