Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thought a few folks would like this factory made Mack video from the mid 50's.
Great movie of the model LRVSW outfitted for the North Pole and the Arctic Dew Line project.
Love the narration in these old movies.

·
Super Moderator
8,052 Posts
Joe,

Thanks for posting that video! As an ex HD truck technician I had many thoughts & questions about what could and would go wrong under those Arctic conditions and how they were handled. Would love to know more about the trucks as well! 600 HP diesels back in the early '50's. Can only imagine the work chaining those rigs up under 50 / 50 conditions. Nothing like throwing a chain while under way either. Did you notice the auxiliary compressor mounted up on the right front fender? My guess is that it was used to prime the air system in case of a leak to start the engine. After 12 hours at a few miles an hour they got to shack up in the caboose bunk house! Then, after probably weeks of driving and to add insult to injury they get to unload the trailers by hand!

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Most of the old heavy Mack line used Cummins power.
The LRVSW in the movie was powered by a V12 Cummins. Air start. Which is the reason for a compressor that you see.
Some models from from the 40's 50's like the FCSW & the LMSW, like the log truck photos, used a Cummins HB600. Not giant amount of HP but low speed torque and gearing.

·
Registered
4,010 Posts
Remember the old phrase "Built Like a Mack Truck". How true in this case. I hope FG remembers this kind of weather the next time she thinks it is a "little" cold in TX.:laugh: Watching this made me cold. I think I will make a cup of hot chocolate.

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,888 Posts
Remember the old phrase "Built Like a Mack Truck". How true in this case. I hope FG remembers this kind of weather the next time she thinks it is a "little" cold in TX.:laugh: Watching this made me cold. I think I will make a cup of hot chocolate.

Dave
I've cut wheat in Kansas, and I can attest that it gets cold there, even in the Summertime!

·
Premium Member
9,223 Posts
Awesome video. That
Thanks for posting. Gotta love the old iron and what guts and determination could do with it. :drinks:

·
Administrator
20,720 Posts
Great video! :trucker:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,506 Posts
Thanks blue87fj60. :thumbup1gif:

·
Administrator
20,720 Posts
Alaska has some really interesting vehicles to navigate the difficult terrain.

Here's the LeTourneau Snow Trains. A diesel-electric truck with multiple trailers. A couple of them still exist in museums and junk yards.

Here the Army's version built by LeTourneau.

Here's the Archimedes screw drive rig that was used to cross the Yukon river during the pipeline days.

And here's the current ice oil field truck of choice, the CATCO truck.

·
Super Moderator
8,052 Posts
Alaska has some really interesting vehicles to navigate the difficult terrain.

Here's the LeTourneau Snow Trains. A diesel-electric truck with multiple trailers. A couple of them still exist in museums and junk yards.

Here the Army's version built by LeTourneau.

Interesting tidbit of automotive history. Those tires and wheels from the Letourneau snow train were salvaged and used on early generation "Big Foot" monster trucks.

·
Premium Member
14,741 Posts
Same as the others ,great video and thanks for posting !:bigthumb:

·
Registered
139 Posts

·
Registered
2,773 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's a real beauty from the mind of RG Let.
If you have ever run a pan you can imagine what a nightmare this thing must be to be on all day. :laugh:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts