Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Update: hauled it to the dealer- yes it was a hydro leak. Multiple fittings were not tightened. Learned about warranty
And extended one to buy when basic runs out - is it worth the $ for the added years of Warranty?

So I spent the day with the FEL moving load after load with no issues. I did notice that the rear ballast box would jump up and down a bit on its own but my prior JD did the same thing so i blew it off as a quirk of the JD's

After parking I noticed a variety of locations on the ground= from the seat area on back on both sides and center of undercarriage with greenish in color fluid dripping. With fluid everywhere it is impossible to figure out where the primary 'leak' is. If I had to guess it is on the top side

Coolant level under the hood is much more yellow in color and is well below the Cold level. (so I will get fluid to top off next week)
Oil dipstick is fine
Dipstick at rear is a clear fluid and appears to be full
these are the ones I checked first

Just bought this beast so still figuring it out. I am NOT mechanically inclined but can follow step by step with pictures pretty well.

Suggestions? Love to learn from others if any one is near Savannah, GA that doesn't mind teaching/trading for the education would be really great too!

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
Could be the grease has gotten hot and is dripping off there areas. JD does have a blue/green colored grease. You said you worked the hydraulics hard (FEL) with weight box. I would look at all the grease joints. Use white paper towel and wipe the joints and reapply grease.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I'm not familiar with the 2038R, but the only green fluid that comes to mind is antifreeze. Have you ever added antifreeze? It's possible the system was originally "charged" with a greenish coolant and then at some point someone topped it off with a yellow coolant.

Leaks can be difficult to locate. A fluid can leak out, run down/across "something" to "something" else and finally reach the ground on the other side and other end of the tractor! Top off coolant recovery tank and watch everything carefully. Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
It has been sitting for almost 24 hours and still see drips - wouldn't grease solidify by now? Was kind of looks like auto coolant in color - greenish -yellow
I have a can of break cleaner i was going to use to see it I could clean the rear

Could be the grease has gotten hot and is dripping off there areas. JD does have a blue/green colored grease. You said you worked the hydraulics hard (FEL) with weight box. I would look at all the grease joints. Use white paper towel and wipe the joints and reapply grease.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I was trying to figure out what lines go to the rear end with coolant.
I only have 20 hours on this machine so it was supposed to have been serviced and ready to go when they dropped it off a couple of weeks back
This is my first time really working it all day

I'm not familiar with the 2038R, but the only green fluid that comes to mind is antifreeze. Have you ever added antifreeze? It's possible the system was originally "charged" with a greenish coolant and then at some point someone topped it off with a yellow coolant.

Leaks can be difficult to locate. A fluid can leak out, run down/across "something" to "something" else and finally reach the ground on the other side and other end of the tractor! Top off coolant recovery tank and watch everything carefully. Bob

·
Registered
1,859 Posts
No coolant lines should go to the rear.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Any warrantee? If so, tell dealer, "come get it." If no warrantee, you'll have to locate the leak.

Something to try if you can't see the trail from the leak. Top off coolant...VERY important..., run tractor for an hour or 3 and park in an area you don't mind getting dirty. Get a box of corn starch, pour some in your hand and throw it at the dripping fluid where you can see it. The corn starch will stick to the fluid! Keep tossing and hopefully you can find the source. Bob

·
Registered
26,814 Posts
The radiator fan blows from front to back. Any leak at the front of the engine can be blown back to just about anywhere.

With a new machine or recently serviced - the first time you work it hard enough for the engine to get good and warm can cause the coolant overflow to spit a couple times. Just keep the coolant level proper at the COOL level when of course the engine is cold.

Reactions: jimmylh

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
When I did the first hydraulic fluid on my 2032r it was greenish colored. My dealer sent off a sample to make sure everything was good and it came back perfect( just looked at it again and it says satisfactory condition). Didn't even need to change it according to the test results but I had already done it. 200hrs at the time of the change.

Edit- Deere uses a black light now in QC to check for leaks. Maybe a dye is added to the hydraulic oil? Otherwise it should be a clear/light amber

Technology Electronic device Window Gadget

Plastic bag Hand Plastic Floor

Text Line Font Screenshot Parallel

Reactions: PJR832

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I thought that hydraulic fluid was red. Am I wrong? I should be thinking that this is a hydraulic line issue that I’m trying to find a leak for?

When I did the first hydraulic fluid on my 2032r it was greenish colored. My dealer sent off a sample to make sure everything was good and it came back perfect. Didn't even need to change it according to the test results but I had already done it. 200hrs at the time of the change.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I'm aware of 2 red hydraulic fluids, one is "ATF" but the other is ANY hydraulic fluid with a red dye added! Deere sells a red dye for their fluid so it is more readily visible in site tubes... maybe dipsticks too, but not sure. Bob

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's why I thought I was looking for coolant as it is greenish/yellow and NOT red - I'm so confused LOL
But really a blow back all the way to the rear? is possible??

I'm aware of 2 red hydraulic fluids, one is "ATF" but the other is ANY hydraulic fluid with a red dye added! Deere sells a red dye for their fluid so it is more readily visible in site tubes... maybe dipsticks too, but not sure. Bob

·
Premium Member
16,468 Posts
Does the color of the fluid match what is in the radiator overflow bottle? If not, it isn't coolant. When comparing fluid colors, put a dab on a white sheet of paper.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bought as is from a dealer so no 'come get it'

Any warrantee? If so, tell dealer, "come get it." If no warrantee, you'll have to locate the leak.

Something to try if you can't see the trail from the leak. Top off coolant...VERY important..., run tractor for an hour or 3 and park in an area you don't mind getting dirty. Get a box of corn starch, pour some in your hand and throw it at the dripping fluid where you can see it. The corn starch will stick to the fluid! Keep tossing and hopefully you can find the source. Bob

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Diesel is blue-green, and your fuel tank is right there. It's your fuel level dropping while parked? Does it smell like diesel?

·
Registered
1,164 Posts
Put some on your finger and smell it. That can often get you in the right ball park.

·
Premium Member
4,330 Posts
Put some on your finger and smell it. That can often get you in the right ball park.

As a parent I know this game and it's a dangerous one. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
smell....put a drop between fingers n rub to see if it has lubricity....taste test.....etc

to the OP

grease is just OIL with a thickner and the oil can seperate from the thickner under load or heat or just sitting

i have seen green dyes used in fluids to help find leaks via UV light

only fluids on a tractor should be....coolant....engine oil....hydraulic oil....freon....grease.....gear oil......

just some thoughts

1 - 20 of 28 Posts