Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi gang, I joined a little while back and have been reading voraciously trying to figure out what I can and can’t do with a 1025R and what I’d need to purchase to get those jobs done (including the tractor).

The finance committee has given me a green light, but isn’t particularly thrilled at the idea at this point. She realizes, however, with our five wooded acres that SHE doesn’t want to be lifting all the heavy stuff that we have to contend with, and it may be that sympathy vote that got me the go ahead. Lol Still, I’m trying to be sensitive to the financial aspect of the purchase.

As I’ve said, I’ve read a lot, but am still left wondering if I should buy new or used.

Pros New - well for starters, NEW! ? But there’s the finance options and warranty benefits as well

Cons New - Expensive, which dips into implement funds

Pros and cons for used are pretty much the inverse of that. Lol

So, if I may ask, does anyone have solid opinions on the updates of the newer models over the pre-2018s or so? As in, are they such improvements that I should let that play into my purchase decision?

I’ve read some of the input regarding unknown maintenance, and the unfortunate circumstance TTWT had with the VIN numbers.

And then there’s the question of the expensive backhoe... ?‍♂

If I need to take this to another forum, I’ll be happy to roll over.

Anyway, thanks all. I appreciate what I’ve learned already so far and I’m sure that has only been a surface scratch!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
Hi gang, I joined a little while back and have been reading voraciously trying to figure out what I can and can’t do with a 1025R and what I’d need to purchase to get those jobs done (including the tractor).

The finance committee has given me a green light, but isn’t particularly thrilled at the idea at this point. She realizes, however, with our five wooded acres that SHE doesn’t want to be lifting all the heavy stuff that we have to contend with, and it may be that sympathy vote that got me the go ahead. Lol Still, I’m trying to be sensitive to the financial aspect of the purchase.

As I’ve said, I’ve read a lot, but am still left wondering if I should buy new or used.

Pros New - well for starters, NEW! ? But there’s the finance options and warranty benefits as well

Cons New - Expensive, which dips into implement funds

Pros and cons for used are pretty much the inverse of that. Lol

So, if I may ask, does anyone have solid opinions on the updates of the newer models over the pre-2018s or so? As in, are they such improvements that I should let that play into my purchase decision?

I’ve read some of the input regarding unknown maintenance, and the unfortunate circumstance TTWT had with the VIN numbers.

And then there’s the question of the expensive backhoe... ?‍♂

If I need to take this to another forum, I’ll be happy to roll over.

Anyway, thanks all. I appreciate what I’ve learned already so far and I’m sure that has only been a surface scratch!
Welcome!

Being aware of the potential for dealing with stolen equipment or equipment with liens is most of the battle. Once aware of the risk, you can deal with it easily. Call your local Deere dealer..they can tell you some history on the tractor, and if it has a lien.

The changes in 2018...

The biggest improvement is the backhoe. The 260b is a nice step forward. Other than that, the changes are minor.

Of course you’ll need to check for the air filter relocation, and if older (2012-2013), the bucket hydraulic issue. (Dumps when attempt to curl at times).

If you intend to pay cash, and you don’t mind some minor repairs, you can get a good deal buying used.

If you are borrowing the money, I would recommend new due to the zero percent financing.

Tim

·
Premium Member
10,109 Posts
:wgtt: from Kentucky.

Lots of reading material on here regarding your questions.

Reactions: DIYer and Kbar

·
Administrator
20,969 Posts
:wgtt:

·
Registered
2,446 Posts
Welcome to GTT!
Let’s talk your 5 wooded acres you got. Can you describe the terrain, and give us an idea of what you plan to do with a tractor on this acreage?

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Welcome from central Ohio :wgtt:

Reactions: DIYer

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
38,054 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,807 Posts

·
Registered
558 Posts

·
Registered
847 Posts
Welcome from Warner Robins, Ga! :greentractorride:

·
Registered
4,532 Posts

Welcome from New York.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks all.

Tim it was your situation that even put the possibility of stolen equipment in my mind. I hadn’t even considered it until then. I’m just not that guy, or I’m just that naive.
Thanks for the input on the differences between years.

Our house is centrally located on our 5ac with roughly 3/4 acre of “yard” around it with a several hundred feet of gravel drive through the trees to the house. The acres behind the house are just trees. I want to maintain the driveway (box blade) but I also want to knock down/remove the deadwood. (Can I borrow your grapple, Tim? Lol) There’s plenty down already, but lots of standing deadwood and one heck of a pile of trees the prior owner put 200’ from the back of the house. Also, stumps. Lots of stumps.
My desire is to clear the underbrush and push back the edges for starters. Make room for a future workshop and put in some trails for the missus and dogs to walk. There’s a slight grade, but nothing steep.
I want a MMM for more frequent mowing.
I have some trench work in mind for water drainage away from the house.
Those are my short term desires. She has expressed a desire for a garden and chickens.

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
Hello and :wgtt:

I was in a similar spot as you when I bought my 1026R however long ago that was. I've only got 3.5 acres, but it is mostly wooded with a little grass around the house and I ended up trading my 1026R for the 2032R that I have now. The 1026R was a bit small, ground clearance wise in the woods. I know you are trying to be budget friendly and a new style 2032/8R is a big leap, but if you are considering buying new, a 2025R isn't that much of a stretch. I'm constantly amazed what our very own PJR832 does with his 2025R. You can check out his videos here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC8eZr_u37kbaWKJjRndmReQ

I know it's easy to spend other folks money, but I work my woods a lot and wanted to throw that out there. I'm sure whatever you pick will service you well.

Again Welcome!

Dan

·
Super Moderator
5,622 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Welcome and dont be alarmed by all this talk about moving sky dandruff around, its a northern thing. :laugh:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I actually grew up in Michigan. I moved to Georgia to escape that sky dandruff, instead I get loads of tree dandruff every spring. I’m less allergic to the sky stuff, but “other people” drive better on the tree stuff. ?

And boy oh boy, I can see already that I could get my wallet in a lot of trouble here. A 2025 or better, eh? Admittedly, I really like the idea (And certainly appreciate the insight regarding ground clearance) but I feel like I’m already walking a tightrope with the CFO. I think I’m gonna need a brownie point side hussle. ?

·
Registered
4,023 Posts
I actually grew up in Michigan. I moved to Georgia to escape that sky dandruff, instead I get loads of tree dandruff every spring. I’m less allergic to the sky stuff, but “other people” drive better on the tree stuff. ?

And boy oh boy, I can see already that I could get my wallet in a lot of trouble here. A 2025 or better, eh? Admittedly, I really like the idea (And certainly appreciate the insight regarding ground clearance) but I feel like I’m already walking a tightrope with the CFO. I think I’m gonna need a brownie point side hussle. ?
Understood :good2: I did try to take it easy on you and not recommend a 4066R, dually 1 ton pickup and gooseneck trailer! :laugh:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Understood :good2: I did try to take it easy on you and not recommend a 4066R, dually 1 ton pickup and gooseneck trailer! :laugh:
Ha! I’d be broke and homeless but I’d have great toys!

Reactions: Bubber

·
Premium Member
15,032 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

·
Registered
4,559 Posts
Welcome from New York!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts