Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I found this site while stumbling around on another. I am Clint and I am in far west Kentucky. I have a 2010 JD2305 with a 62" MMM and the 200CX FEL. I have a few attachments: 48" BB, Load Carrier, and a 4' Disc Harrow (needs attention). I am looking for a way to mow around ponds and along roadways. Something like a Sickle Bar mower but less expensive and less dangerous.

·
Administrator
21,038 Posts
Welcome to DT Clint:dance:

·
Premium Member
3,564 Posts
Welcome Clint. While a new sickle bar mower is not cheap, some of the older ones are reasonable and well built. There is not much cheaper for an offset mower. There was one on Craigslist last week for $500.00 and it was next to new.

·
Premium Member
6,698 Posts
Welcome to DT Clint, we are glad you are here.

:yahoo::yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

·
Premium Member
971 Posts
Welcome Clint !

If you do find/get a sickle mower, learn from my mistake. I bought a 6' one for my side-of-ponds and I should have got a 7 to 8' one. The reason is you have to keep your tires off the edge of the pond. So in my case, I loose about 3' and only get about 3' of cut. I was being overly frugal when I bought the sickle bar.

Also, if I had got at least a 7' one, I could drive along the edges of the field and mow the sides of the trees in one pass. Now that is a two pass operation, and it's not quite as high as I'd like. I'll stick with it, since the hit of trading it in would be too much and I don't use it a lot. There are worse purchasing mistakes to make, but, definitely an "If I'd known then what I know now" situation. For your 2305, I would think a 7' bar would be perfect.

Pete

·
Registered
176 Posts
I found this site while stumbling around on another. I am Clint and I am in far west Kentucky. I have a 2010 JD2305 with a 62" MMM and the 200CX FEL. I have a few attachments: 48" BB, Load Carrier, and a 4' Disc Harrow (needs attention). I am looking for a way to mow around ponds and along roadways. Something like a Sickle Bar mower but less expensive and less dangerous.
Welcome. Here is a JD 350 sickle that we just put on Ebay last night. Ken Sweet
http://cgi.ebay.com/Used-John-Deere...ultDomain_0&hash=item2564392db2#ht_1336wt_700

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am going to have to find a local farmer who has either a sickle or an offset flail mower and pay him/her once a year to mow around the pond and down the drive. My 2305 with 18 hp at the PTO won't handle anything like that.

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts