Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings everyone from a soon to be tractor owner. Just moved to upstate New York this past summer after living in Texas for the last 14 years. Grew up in central PA farm country, then lived in VT for 10 years before moving to Texas. It’s good to be back up north, I was stuck living suburbia down there. I’m about to close on a house with 5 acres in the country, with a ~200 ft gravel driveway. Pretty much all the 5 acres is mowed (and the wife wants to keep it that way). I started looking at riding mowers for the yard, and also something to take care of the driveway in the winter. We also want to do some serious gardening at some point and possibly some livestock (kids raised lambs last year for FFA, now they want chickens) so I was also looking at older tractors with at least a 3 pt hitch and PTO.

After doing a bunch of research I started looking at the sub compact tractors, and the 1025r caught my eye. I realized maybe there was something that would do all I needed instead of having a separate mower and tractor. I had stumbled across “Tractor Time With Tim”, then found this site. I wasn’t looking to spend near that much money on a tractor, and figured my wife wouldn’t have anything to do with it. I mentioned it to her though, and she says “we’re going to need something, and a FEL would probably be useful.” I about fell out of my chair.

I’ve been checking out the used market and have seen some decent tractors online in this area. I was looking to get one with a snowblower but after reading up on it I think a blade would be best for my situation. Can’t really do much until we close on the house, once that happens I’m going to start visiting some places and hopefully pick one up.

Any thoughts? If I’m missing something please let me know!

·
Administrator
20,713 Posts
:wgtt:

5 acres? You may want to look into the 2 series. The 1 series is a great little tractor that can "do it all." But it's a compromise at a lot of things. It's a better mower than the 2 series due to size and weight, but the 2 series tractors are a heavier lifter and all around worker.

I know it sounds crazy, but I'd look into a tractor and a dedicated mower like a Z turn. :good2:

·
Premium Member
9,196 Posts
Welcome to GTT.

We have lots of threads for both the 1 and 2 series tractors. Poke around a bit and you'll get a good idea what everyone does with theirs.

The most consistent advice is go as big as you can afford (within reason).

Congrat's on the new place. We will be looking forward to your pictures. (hint)

·
Registered
4,454 Posts
:wgtt::congrats:
I agree with dieselshadow. You might want to look at a bigger tractor. Upstate NY I’m sure you get a lot of snow and 200’ driveway will take some work with a good snow storm. I would also think a 2 or 3 series would be a good start. I know budget comes into play but look into low hour used is a option. Good luck and let us know how things playout.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

I know it sounds crazy, but I'd look into a tractor and a dedicated mower like a Z turn. :good2:
Well that's what I was originally thinking but two things: cost for 2 units, and storage. This place has a nice 2 car detached garage. I'm fine keeping my old vehicle outside but I know my wife will want her nice truck in the garage, which means really only enough space for one unit, especially after we get my toolbox and all my other "junk" in there.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
:wgtt::congrats:
I agree with dieselshadow. You might want to look at a bigger tractor. Upstate NY I’m sure you get a lot of snow and 200’ driveway will take some work with a good snow storm. I would also think a 2 or 3 series would be a good start. I know budget comes into play but look into low hour used is a option. Good luck and let us know how things playout.
So far they've (locals) said this year has been worse than normal, and I think the most we've had at once is 5 inches. After living in VT for many years I know how bad it can get. I figured if it got stacked up enough I could always use the FEL to move it (I'd rather be outside doing something than sitting bored inside anyway).

·
Super Moderator
8,050 Posts
Welcome aboard from Massachusetts.

Good luck with the move, the new house and a new to you tractor! :good2:

:gtfam:

·
Super Moderator
5,542 Posts
:gtfam: and good luck with everything

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I think the 1025r will be a great start for you. No use to break the bank on a 2-series plus ztr immediately.
(Sorry Jason!)
You may indeed want a second mower at some point, but that might be a much larger hurdle for the wife to consider.
Meanwhile, the 1025r will do LOTS of work.

Just my opinion.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,265 Posts

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

The series 1 would work but the 2 series may be a better choice .:dunno::dunno: Either one or BOTH. :lol:

·
Premium Member
14,735 Posts
Welcome from Preston County, West Virginia

The series 1 would work but the 2 series may be a better choice .:dunno::dunno: Either one or BOTH. :lol:

See how we like to help you spend your money.

·
Premium Member
5,075 Posts
:wgtt: From The Pacific NW - Oregon!

:kidw_truck_smiley::kidw_truck_smiley:

Great info here trryhin and lots of help, sounds like you've joined the right forum. :bigthumb::bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
13,382 Posts
Working at the Albany airport, living in Cobleskill.
Wow, we're close, I'm 25 miles down the road in Schenevus :good2:
I agree with some of the above, if money were not an object I'd go bigger on the tractor and a dedicated mower, otherwise I think you'll be surprised at what a 1 series can accomplish.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts