Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well, the title says it all. I grew up around on a farm in MN with green all around me. I've driven everything from 4020 to a 9510RT. But now... I have my own! Bought a 2025R with 62D mmm and H130 FEL. Also got the hyd mower lift with the diverter valve.

Unfortunately, this is the only pic I have... just minutes after it arrived and minutes before it was put to work! I cut down an old willow tree that day. In all, 8 trees have met their doom with the help of this guy. More yard clean up and projects to come.

No other attachments as of yet but because of this site I'm about to pull the trigger on a BXpanded Piranha tooth bar and Ken's bolt-on hooks for the loader.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
:wgtt:

Nice looking :greentractorride:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
37,789 Posts
Thanks DeereNC :thumbup1gif: Let us know what ya think of it.

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts

Congrats on the new tractor!

·
Premium Member
14,886 Posts
Welcome from West Virginia, enjoy

·
Premium Member
1,788 Posts
Very nice machine!

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
CONGRATS!!! New tractor! :yahoo::yahoo::yahoo:

:gtfam:

·
Registered
4,474 Posts

Welcome from New York.

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Cool..... Another 2 series " cool" guy! Congrats on your tractor!

I am not the safety police....and your being around tractors all your life, I am sure you know this. So ... I'm just going to re-iterate this for those getting ready to buy a new tractor and reading this thread.

All tractors need rear ballast to counter the front end loader, but most especially these small ones. It doesn't take lifting much weight with the FEL to raise the rear wheels off the ground if there is no rear ballast. Remember, your tractor is basically a 3 wheeler as it pivots in the center of the front axle . So when the rear wheels come off the ground , the tractor can flop to one side or the other. You can actually turn a tractor over onto its side, sitting on flat ground .Make sure you have enough rear ballast to lift to maximum capacity, as well as take pressure off the smaller front axle.

It sort of helps to imagine the tractor with FEL as a teeter/totter. You need the weight behind the rear wheels to make the rear axle the fulcrum. Loaded tires are great but if that is all the ballast you have, then your fulcrum is still the front axle. Best to look in the owners manual to see what JD recommends for your tractor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
396 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Cool..... Another 2 series " cool" guy! Congrats on your tractor!

I am not the safety police....and your being around tractors all your life, I am sure you know this. So ... I'm just going to re-iterate this for those getting ready to buy a new tractor and reading this thread.

All tractors need rear ballast to counter the front end loader, but most especially these small ones. It doesn't take lifting much weight with the FEL to raise the rear wheels off the ground if there is no rear ballast. Remember, your tractor is basically a 3 wheeler as it pivots in the center of the front axle . So when the rear wheels come off the ground , the tractor can flop to one side or the other. You can actually turn a tractor over onto its side, sitting on flat ground .Make sure you have enough rear ballast to lift to maximum capacity, as well as take pressure off the smaller front axle.

It sort of helps to imagine the tractor with FEL as a teeter/totter. You need the weight behind the rear wheels to make the rear axle the fulcrum. Loaded tires are great but if that is all the ballast you have, then your fulcrum is still the front axle. Best to look in the owners manual to see what JD recommends for your tractor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
They do indeed! The rear tires are fluid filled (with what I'm unsure) and I do plan on acquiring a ballast box should I start needing to use the max capacity of the loader. So far I've only been hauling sticks and logs. I've pondered the idea of building a rack to hold old JD tractor weights from a 4840 we used to have... would require a trip to MN though. Nice thing is I would be able to ballast for the task at hand w/o causing excessive compaction on my yard.

The loader on our 4440 (RIP last fall, fire... story of another time) actually saved my brother from a complete roll over. He was baling county ditches and a farmer had went in the fall before and scraped it, leaving a 6" or so ledge. He was weaving back n forth (bale uniformity) at the front tire slipped off. The loader had been all the way up so he could see the front of the tractor vs his swath. Had it not been, the cab would have gotten crushed. Some would say if the loader was down, it wouldn't have happened but it's hard to really say.

--DeereNC

·
Super Moderator
5,579 Posts
:gtfam:

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
:hi::wgtt:

Welcome from the top of Maine! A few of us guys here have 2320's............which is basically the same tractor you have. I love my tractor........and you will too!

·
Administrator
18,287 Posts
They do indeed! The rear tires are fluid filled (with what I'm unsure) and I do plan on acquiring a ballast box should I start needing to use the max capacity of the loader. So far I've only been hauling sticks and logs.
Just remember that the rear of your new machine is very light (all aluminum) compared to the larger machines your used to. To effectively ballast the machine the weight must be place behind the rear axle. While loaded tires are great for traction, its not all that's needed for loader ballast.

Reactions: rgd and 56FordGuy
1 - 16 of 16 Posts