1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The hood on the new-to-me 4105 is the one unscathed part of the tractor,,,

One of this Spring's projects will be adding a grill guard,,
which I will probably fabricate.

When you Google "tractor grill guard", a zillion designs pop up.
John Deere really evolved the hood design, but,
the guards shown are just one step above the guards offered for the Ford 8N,, :dunno:

So, my questions are;
Have I missed the pic of a great looking grill guard?
What should be incorporated into the guard;
*Hooks?
*D-Rings?
*Auxiliary Lights?
*Receiver?
*What else??

If the guard weighs 100 pounds, or more,, that would be like getting a free front end weight.
I may incorporate a bracket to hold the three 100 pound suitcase weights that I already have.

Challenge me,,, what should this grill guard look like?
Pllease show me pics of concepts I should incorporate!! THANKS!! :good2:

·
Registered
11,764 Posts
:dunno: jeepers i have no ideas to tell ya, but i'm waiting on others to reply:munch:

·
Premium Member
2,725 Posts
I like the auxiliary lights. Two facing front, and a set facing down at 45 degree angle to cover the ditches. Has far has a receiver I have seen them that bolt on front plate. I would think about a heavy wire screen on the back side it it to protect from branches punching through the screen:good2:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have a loader for the tractor? It looks like the whole hood tilts forward; am I correct?

Make it so a loader doesn't smack the hood, and the grill guard can tilt down to open the hood by removing two pins like my 4200's does.
No loader for this tractor,, and probably will never be one,,, it will be a 3 point hitch tractor,,

The hood opens rear hinged like most cars,, with a brace manually placed to hold it up.

I may make the guard hinged,, just for fun,, but,,
for the life of me, I can not see a reaon to hinge it.

The MAIN reason for the grill guard is that I expect my 2 daughters and 2 SILs will be mowing with it,,
maybe even my wife, on occasion.

With all of those occasional operators,, that hood is at HIGH risk,,,
for that reason, I am planning on the guard to be as high as the highest point on the hood.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
No loader for this tractor,, and probably will never be one,,, it will be a 3 point hitch tractor,,

The hood opens rear hinged like most cars,, with a brace manually placed to hold it up.

The MAIN reason for the grill guard is that I expect my 2 daughters and 2 SILs will be mowing with it,,
maybe even my wife, on occasion.

With all of those occasional operators,, that hood is at HIGH risk,,,
for that reason, I am planning on the guard to be as high as the highest point on the hood.
If you want to keep your hood in good shape it's best to keep them off your tractor. LOL
No one takes good care of equipment except the guy that pays for it.

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,127 Posts
for the life of me, I can not see a reason to hinge it.
Does the grill come up when opening the hood on the 4105?

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
10,204 Posts
Think battery removing or working in that area right behind the grill. Not only would I make it hinged but I'd make it removable. Also make it so you can put weights on it. Lights on it is an easy fix.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the grill come up when opening the hood on the 4105?
Yea,, the entire hood opens,,, the hood looks like they copied a David Bradley

116816_opt.jpg

I have to let others use it,, or I get stuck mowing way over a dozen acres,,

Luckily,, my daughters have operated tractors since they were about 7 years old,, :good2:
that is child abuse these days,,, :dunno:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If you want to keep your hood in good shape it's best to keep them off your tractor. LOL
No one takes good care of equipment except the guy that pays for it.
The reason I went looking for a VERY low cost tractor, is to reduce that worry factor,,, :good2:

·
Senior GTT Super Slacker
36,127 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
The hood on the new-to-me 4105 is the one unscathed part of the tractor,,,

One of this Spring's projects will be adding a grill guard,,
which I will probably fabricate.

When you Google "tractor grill guard", a zillion designs pop up.
John Deere really evolved the hood design, but,
the guards shown are just one step above the guards offered for the Ford 8N,, :dunno:

So, my questions are;
Have I missed the pic of a great looking grill guard?
What should be incorporated into the guard;
*Hooks?
*D-Rings?
*Auxiliary Lights?
*Receiver?
*What else??

If the guard weighs 100 pounds, or more,, that would be like getting a free front end weight.
I may incorporate a bracket to hold the three 100 pound suitcase weights that I already have.

Challenge me,,, what should this grill guard look like?
Pllease show me pics of concepts I should incorporate!! THANKS!! :good2:
Sprayer?
Air compressor?
Laser sights? Who doesn't like laser sights?:laugh:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Laser sights? Who doesn't like laser sights?:laugh:
Has that been done?
That would be a good way to keep the tractor on track when mowing,,, :dunno:
I guess I could not use a green laser,,,

OR

just use the laser FOR mowing,, that would eliminate sharpening of blades,,, :flag_of_truce:

:laugh:

·
Administrator
17,323 Posts

·
Registered
2,965 Posts
Factory grill guards seem to be pathetic anyway. I know mine isn't useful unless you're trying to ram something big and wide. I'm amazed I haven't dented, let alone punctured my mesh yet. Using the grapple for smaller brush seems to bring every punji stick at my hood (or mid-SCV valve).

·
Premium Member
5,816 Posts
My tractor's a bit older (04-790), I made my grille guard to remove by pulling one long pin through the factory pipe guard: Farm 049.jpg It sets in a slot at the bottom.

·
Registered
4,983 Posts
Easy

Well, let's see.

For my 790 I would like a grill guard that allows good airflow but stops all sticks, debris and fine bits of trash that would stop up the radiator.
It should allow easy access to the battery without tools.
It shouldn't interfere with access to the front axle dip stick or obviously cause any problems with the running gear.
It shouldn't block the lights but should cover the hood without blocking the operators vision.
Light weight is desirable but it's got to be strong enough to withstand sticks and springy trees snapping back under the loader etc.
Loops strong enough to use to tie the tractor down on the trailer would be great and make them easily accessible.
I don't usually use front weights but since it's a dream build you might as well make it able to hang a few weights securely without rattling.
Oh, and a place for easily accessible tools even when the loader is on.

I'm sure none of that is a problem is it?

Treefarmer

·
Premium Member
7,338 Posts
Well, let's see.

For my 790 I would like a grill guard that allows good airflow but stops all sticks, debris and fine bits of trash that would stop up the radiator.
It should allow easy access to the battery without tools.
It shouldn't interfere with access to the front axle dip stick or obviously cause any problems with the running gear.
It shouldn't block the lights but should cover the hood without blocking the operators vision.
Light weight is desirable but it's got to be strong enough to withstand sticks and springy trees snapping back under the loader etc.
Loops strong enough to use to tie the tractor down on the trailer would be great and make them easily accessible.
I don't usually use front weights but since it's a dream build you might as well make it able to hang a few weights securely without rattling.
Oh, and a place for easily accessible tools even when the loader is on.

I'm sure none of that is a problem is it?

Treefarmer
All made from unobtanium. :laugh:

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
All made from unobtanium. :laugh:
Talking about unobtanium,,, I wonder,,,
if the grill guard is setting forward, 4-5 inches,, could the front be solid?
then air could be sucked in from the sides,,,

The first generation new JD's had the fuel tank in front of the rad,,
air was sucked in from the sides,,,
Hmmmmm,,,,,,,,

1 - 20 of 38 Posts