Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Now that I'm equipped for welding, let the projects begin. Was pretty good with gas and stick some 43 years ago, so this should be fun.

The loader grill guard for the 4500/460 is a simple design. Bolts and rotates near bottom, clips higher up for pinning in place. But huge holes for branches to poke though and run into and bust up the the plastic front hood. So let's solve that oversight. I'll cover the headlights for now, don't use the tractor much in the dark. If that becomes an issue, I'll box them and cut out the expanded sheet later.

Rectangle Automotive tire Tire Wood Automotive exterior

You are not having fun unless there's a release of blood. :) Serves me right for not wearing gloves when handling sharp metal. Expanded sheet is roughed in place. Cut with cutoff wheel on angle grinder.

White Green Mesh Wire fencing Grille

Almost finished prep work, the rounded edges wait till tacked in place.

Toy Aircraft Flooring Wood Line

Ready for tacking now.

Toy Aircraft Toy airplane Yellow Aerospace manufacturer

But first, a little practice welding expanded sheet. It's almost a spot weld but more like three very short sections, per joint.

Wood Gas Machine Automotive exterior Cooking

TIG is kicking my rear, variable current foot control is busting my brain. Need much more practice to be useful so back to MIG tomorrow.

·
Registered
2021 4044M
111 Posts
Looks like a good idea. My good welds don't look as good as your bad one there.

·
Registered
JD4600 loader/backhoe, JD2210 loader mower, JD332 mower,
147 Posts
I need to do this for my 4600. Same brush guard.

BTW: I see that your brush guard is nice and straight. It is common with these machines to put the brush guard down and then forget it. If you bring the loader up, and then back down, then the guard will get jammed up against the big clip that holds the front of the loader in place. It creates a very recognizable bend in one of the horizontal members. Mine was bent when I got the tractor. I straightened it out, then put the bend back in little while later! Not quite as bad as before, but a real hit to the ego.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Note to self, double check the electrode polarity when doing gas MIG. This is how it looks when they are wrong. Opps. :)

Mesh Line Wire fencing Composite material Gas

And the right way.

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Textile Automotive design

After a some 80 grit flapper wheel action.

Mesh Composite material Gas Rectangle Engineering

Almost clean/prime/paint time. Little more clean up and hand check over the edges to check for sharpies. The idea is, it will leave a mark if I smack it but not try to gut me like a fish.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Nice work, your grill guard is much nicer than mine. Regarding the lighting, LED floods mounted on the ROPS or fenders area better option than the grill halogens. And ROPS mounted would be a fantastic thread for us to follow… 😁

·
Registered
3,461 Posts
Very nice work. 👍 Looks like factory.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
And so it begins...

Yellow Wood Tool Floor Flooring

Did a test hand bend on a smaller piece. Ok, I can hand bend this easy. Unfortunately, the factory cut is off by 1/16 inch. For this, it will matter. :) 18-1/4 puts me just off the wire weld on each side of the expanded sheet metal. After some pounding (or pressing), this gives me a nice tab to weld to.

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
My bending setup. The steel bar is the old (pre-backhoe) original drawbar. The drawbar mount had to change to 4x20 style. Actually mid 4x10 series. Can't quite bend it by hand, thus my little helper.

Table Wood Automotive tire Flooring Gas

Bent into rough shape. End sides line up pretty good too.

Automotive tire Road surface Mesh Wheel Asphalt

Temp install to figure out what next. Side view, back will get cut off somewhere above the front. Still thinking.

Green Motor vehicle Automotive tire Hood Grille

Really needs to be flush with lower loader rails. Could bend in the back to fit the front hood. That might just be enough. Starting to think, MIG or TIG. My MIG is much better than TIG, need more practice with TIG.

And front view. Touching hood, final will have a 1/8 inch clearance gap.

Green Line Motor vehicle Grass Gas

·
Registered
JD 455, 4610, 4052R, and 6120E
618 Posts
I like what you have done with your grill guard. Very nice!

After you add the new chain box, will you still be able to remove the two top grill guard pins and rotate the grill guard forward to gain access to the battery?

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well that was quite fun. Only managed to burn myself twice. LOL. Test fitting.

Green Motor vehicle Grass Automotive tire Gas

Side mounts added. It's straight, lots of parallax in the photo.

Mesh Natural material Pet supply Grass Gas

Almost there, trim down the front/back and top edge are next. Then good wire brushing and primer/paint. Humm, what color today ?

Wood Composite material Mesh Gas Engineering

Opps. These "Hobart" gloves are NOT for welding... :)

Glove Sports gear Safety glove Sports equipment Gesture

Thought about being able to rotate front guard down. With this design, you can rotate it a little, enough to get access to battery compartment but for lifting battery out, the chain basket would have to be removed.

IF the front bottom edge was radiused to the lower brush guard bolt, full rotate would be possible. That radius would be fun to make too... lol. Too late for me, plus I have remote battery terminals accessable from the top hood.

·
Premium Member
1,709 Posts
Nice

rob

1 - 20 of 33 Posts