Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am considering buying/building some sort of table or cart to put my Big Green Egg on. Right now it's just sitting in it's "nest". I'd like something with some shelves or drawers so I can put my grill tools away, maybe store the heat deflector plate and maybe even store a bag or two of charcoal. (My garage is about 100' away from the grilling area, so I have to go back and forth when I need to refuel the smoker)

I'd be interested in seeing pics of whatever you other guys with BGE's / Kamado Joe's / etc. are using. Ideally I'd like something where the BGE is actually sitting on/in this cart, but not opposed to just seeing a standalone cart. Not really interested in seeing pics of actual "outdoor kitchens" unless you have your BGE integrated into it.

Considering something standalone and just leaving the BGE in its nest just because I'm pretty afraid of even trying to lift my assembled BGE!

On a related idea - can you take a regular gas grill and build it into a cart like I'm thinking of? Would be pretty cool to have my grill and my BGE as one integrated unit.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I am considering buying/building some sort of table or cart to put my Big Green Egg on. Right now it's just sitting in it's "nest". I'd like something with some shelves or drawers so I can put my grill tools away, maybe store the heat deflector plate and maybe even store a bag or two of charcoal. (My garage is about 100' away from the grilling area, so I have to go back and forth when I need to refuel the smoker)

I'd be interested in seeing pics of whatever you other guys with BGE's / Kamado Joe's / etc. are using. Ideally I'd like something where the BGE is actually sitting on/in this cart, but not opposed to just seeing a standalone cart. Not really interested in seeing pics of actual "outdoor kitchens" unless you have your BGE integrated into it.

Considering something standalone and just leaving the BGE in its nest just because I'm pretty afraid of even trying to lift my assembled BGE!

On a related idea - can you take a regular gas grill and build it into a cart like I'm thinking of? Would be pretty cool to have my grill and my BGE as one integrated unit.

Made from Red Cedar. The base for the BGE is piece of polished granite that I bought from a cabinet shop. I used SS screws, and a set of industrial grade rollers in the front. The handle I made from a glued up piece that I formed with an antique draw knife, because I don't have a lathe. It is probably nine or ten years old now, and weathered considerably, but still functions great. I keep most of my grilling paraphernalia in the garage, but if I wanted it all outside, I would probably buy a small cabinet instead of making drawers for my table.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
I actually drew up my own plans, based on stuff I got off the internet...and there's a lot out there:

plans for BGE table - Google Search

The only hitch, was that I needed another half inch clearance for the lid to open because I didn't properly account for the downward movement of the hinge. I compensated by putting a set of the ceramic BGE feet under my egg; works fine now.

·
Registered
940 Posts

I've been cooking BGE for more than a decade. I built this cart many years ago, but a few years ago had a local fabricator form the stainless steel top for it. It lays nicely over the original top and is held mostly just by some construction adhesive. I keep 2-3 bags of lump charcoal in a 30 gallon Rubbermaid container, and wood chips in a smaller Rubbermaid.

·
Registered
940 Posts
I would add that I know of various restaurant supply stores that have a wide variety of used stainless steel tables and carts that they pull out of restaurants when the install new fixtures. That used/surplus stuff in some cases goes pretty cheap and on the BGE forums, I see guys that have grabbed some of that stuff and made some nice grilling tables/carts.

·
Registered
3,752 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
THANKS 2Lane and MacCool! I will check out the BGE forums.

Sent by Tapatalk using the tiny keyboard on my phone. That explains the typos!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts