Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 2 planter beds in the front of my house, and the wife wants some kind of ivy or similar ground cover in them. She doesn’t like the topsoil look, and doesn’t want to continuously weed them. I know there are plants that can have a low ground cover, and not deprive the shrubs but I’m not a landscape pro. Any suggestions?

F83858A9-0D4A-4BBF-9049-3C534BF36127.jpeg 6526DAB1-FE27-4723-96D0-7AA5FBBF2103.jpeg

·
Registered
610 Posts
Wandering jew or dwarf confederate jasmine assuming they are compatible with your climate.

·
Registered
2,756 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
I have used periwinkle for a couple decades,,

It is a hardy plant,, if a weed pops up in it, I can spray the weed with a little Roundup,
and the over-spray will not hurt the periwinkle,,

Do not set a garden hose on periwinkle,, in 6 months, the hose will be lost forever!! :laugh:

To propagate it, I scoop out an area of periwinkle several inches deep with the front end loader,,
That removed dirt is replaced with regular dirt, and in 6 months (one season) of growing, the area looks like it was never touched.

The removed periwinkle can be planted in 4X4 inch clumps, one to three feet or so apart,,
After a season or two, the new area will be covered.
How long it takes to fill in depends on light and water,,

·
Premium Member
2,065 Posts
Landscape fabric and river rock.

Good luck on keeping weeds out. I think this is almost impossible. I cover my river rock and mulch areas in the spring with Preen and go over them routinely throughout the summer. This seems to help.

Even in the river rock, which has landscape fabric under the rock, weeds will grow on top of the fabric. Albeit, they are easy to pull as they are on top of the week block but they still grow.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the river rock deal because it will contrast the lawn. I also like the Pachysandra and Periwinkle. I read somewhere Pachysandra yellows in too much sun, so it might be out seeing how that part of my house is on the South and gets full sun all summer. I have 3 rivers nearby and river rock is in abundance. I used some woven Geotextiles fabric under my gravel parking spot for my pickups and no weeds grow through it. I still have plenty left over. Might go that route. First gotta get mommas blessing. Also, I have gutters above these planters so I’m going to need to set an 8 foot step ladder in them.

·
Registered
181 Posts
periwinkle

Another vote for periwinkle, AKA myrtle, AKA vinca minor.
Dense ground cover, low maintenance.

·
Registered
662 Posts
I have periwinkle/creeping myrtle/vinca minor around my place, it spreads and covers well. Low maintenance and recovers quickly from weeding with roundup. My brother has pachysandra, don't know about its Roundup tolerance. I think pachysandra may be a better choice for dense shade where myrtle can tolerate full sun better. Myrtle has blue flowers and pachysandra has small white flowers. Unless you have a preference based on any of that, flip a coin.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Full sun. S side. I’m thinking getting some landscaping stones to complement my facade, and double as a barrier, and then Periwinkle in the flower bed.

33455B14-5E28-4D3B-92AC-B834E17C3E86.jpeg

Her birthdays coming up on Labor Day weekend so looks like I’ll be laboring

·
Registered
182 Posts
House I grew up in we planted creeping juniper and it cover the whole hillside in a few years. They are evergreen, have a nice lush green color and never seemed to go into the grass much once fully mature.

·
Registered
536 Posts
House I grew up in we planted creeping juniper and it cover the whole hillside in a few years. They are evergreen, have a nice lush green color and never seemed to go into the grass much once fully mature.
I did something similar with three different colours/types of juniper . . . I planted them about 3 ft apart and it took 2 years to nicely fill in . . . looks great and are very durable . . . they choke out just about everything else . . . compliments my 150 year old maples

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

Lady at the nursery was very knowledgeable and hooked me up with these. Got 30 of them and spaced them 3’ apart and spaced comfortably away from the other shrubs. Going to get some flagstones for the border. I want to use real rocks, not the cheap concrete ones at Lowe’s.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 13 of 13 Posts