Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,281 Posts
Find yourself a hammer-drill and a deep socket big enough to fit over the end of the rod. My yard has a ton of rocks and even with that, I can drive a 10' rod all the way into the ground in under 3 minutes with the hammer drill.

·
Premium Member
Early 2017 Vintage 1025R TLB (260/H120)
1,960 Posts
Find yourself a hammer-drill and a deep socket big enough to fit over the end of the rod. My yard has a ton of rocks and even with that, I can drive a 10' rod all the way into the ground in under 3 minutes with the hammer drill.
This is why this forum is so exceptional! Simple solutions to problems and many many members being so willing to help others out!

·
Premium Member
6,263 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,955 Posts
Many years ago I bought a Dewalt SDS-Max demo hammer. I've used it for various projects but one of the best things I ever bought for it was a Bosch ground rod bit. Slide that baby down over the ground rod, hit the switch, HANG ON and get ready to turn it off before the rod disappears completely into the ground. The hardest part of the job is lifting the tool up to set it on the ground rod.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
Many years ago I bought a Dewalt SDS-Max demo hammer. I've used it for various projects but one of the best things I ever bought for it was a Bosch ground rod bit. Slide that baby down over the ground rod, hit the switch, HANG ON and get ready to turn it off before the rod disappears completely into the ground. The hardest part of the job is lifting the tool up to set it on the ground rod.

View attachment 784920 View attachment 784919
100% agree...sometimes have to get a ladder to get high enough....I have actually sharpened a rebar end and driven it thru landscape timbers etc...like you said ground rods are easy even in gravel

·
Super Moderator
6,281 Posts

View attachment 784920 View attachment 784919
Yeah. I picked up a Bosch hammer drill 10-12 years ago. I don't even remember why I bought it. But I did. It came with a SDS to 1/2 drive socket adapter so I've just used that with a socket.

About 8 years ago the run for my chickens took a direct lightening hit so I figured it would be a good idea to ground it. So I went and bought a couple of ground rods. I tried setting them with a T-post driver and just bent the rod. A neighbor suggested the hammer drill trick and it worked like a champ. I was skeptical until that first rod started sinking into the ground like melting butter.

·
Premium Member
'20 1025R, 120R, 54D
2,470 Posts
Reactions: tj1 and MachoDrone

·
Registered
7,881 Posts
A regular T-post driver will make that much easier too. Then finish the last couple feet with a sledge hammer.
That's what I've used and it works well in our soil with few rocks.

Treefarmer

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Do not forget to put the wire connector clamp onto the ground rod before driving. There are ways to get in on after the top of the rod is mushroomed, but ...

Few things on a farm are less fun than swinging a hammer at a ground rod while straddling a fence rail-one hand for the hammer and the other for the rod. I had a friend slip and rupture a testicle that way.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts