Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put a nice deep circular shaped rut in my lawn today with the 1025R. I hate that. I mean, I really hate it. :nunu:

One thing I have started to notice (interestingly enough by watching surveillance video) is that I appear to be riding the brakes on the tractor when I drive it. It makes me curious - when you hit the brake does it automatically lock the differential? I read something about setting the parking brake doing that, but does it do it when you touch it lightly? If so, this, and my propensity to ride the brake could explain a lot of the circular ruts in my lawn.

Yeah - I'm trying to train myself out of riding the brake anyway, but just curious.....

·
Premium Member
13,606 Posts
I'm not sure how far you have to press the pedal to engage the diff lock, but yes, if you are riding around with your foot on the brake you may unintentionally be applying the diff lock.

·
Registered
2,587 Posts
I didn’t even realize my tractor had brakes :lol:

I’ve only had to use the brakes to put on the parking brake. How sloped and hilly is your land to ride the brake?

·
Premium Member
9,055 Posts
I didn’t even realize my tractor had brakes :lol:

I’ve only had to use the brakes to put on the parking brake. How sloped and hilly is your land to ride the brake?
Yea, me too.......

I can't even imagine it would be comfortable to ride around with your foot on the brake pedal, unless the OP either has incredible flexibility or doesn't have a 36" inseam......For me, it's a specific movement to get my foot that high......

I don't think I have ever used the brakes to actually stop the tractor. Or the tractor before this one (in 23 years.....)

I wonder if perhaps the OP is dragging his heel on the Diff lock pedal, that would certainly be easier and make more sense.......

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yea, me too.......

I can't even imagine it would be comfortable to ride around with your foot on the brake pedal, unless the OP either has incredible flexibility or doesn't have a 36" inseam......For me, it's a specific movement to get my foot that high......

I don't think I have ever used the brakes to actually stop the tractor. Or the tractor before this one (in 23 years.....)

I wonder if perhaps the OP is dragging his heel on the Diff lock pedal, that would certainly be easier and make more sense.......
Yeah - i'm riding the brake pedal -not sure how that habit started, but it's time to fix it. i do have some places where I mow the grass next to a very deep creek and pond - it could be that I'm overly paranoid about going into the drink. I have now identified the problem - should be an easy fix. :bigthumb: Thanks for the answers on the diff lock - it explains a lot.

·
Registered
1,500 Posts
Is there No way to split the brakes on those tractors??

Seems like someone...hmm...would find a way and offer this solution to you folks with the Doughnut issue.

I've never looked over that area of the 1 series...odds are its all internal but perhaps not.

was a thread a few weeks ago about split brakes but I think it was in the GT section....I forget..but someone added a pedal.

·
Premium Member
14,859 Posts
Except for using the parking brake , I've pressed my brake pedal maybe 5 times in the past 15-20 yrs... I mow down a steep bank also toward a creek.
I mow in 4x4 and L not H ,,,even mowing in h on the rest of my yard no need to use the brake pedal./

I just finished mowing for over 4 hr on steep yards , backing down hills sides , going up hill sides using a x738 ..Except to set brake to get off tractor and open a gate never touched the brake pedal..

If not using L Start mowing your banks in L and 4x4 ...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I got quite a bit of use out of the brake last weekend. When you want it to stay where it is instead or rolling back 2" or so, just press the brake. Loader and fork work type of stuff.
Mine sounded sort of squeaky, probably from lack of use normally.

However, my foot is nowhere near the brake if I'm not planning on using it.

·
Registered
536 Posts
I'm not sure how far you have to press the pedal to engage the diff lock, but yes, if you are riding around with your foot on the brake you may unintentionally be applying the diff lock.
I did not know that. THANKS

·
Premium Member
9,055 Posts
Just out of habit, I always set the parking brake whenever I park the tractor, so I can start it without getting on it. I usually reach in the cab and start the tractor and then get my hearing stuff all on and my music going while I do a "walk around" the tractor and then get in it, release the brake, shift into H (usually.....) and away I go.

With the 1 series, it takes some getting used to shifting the transfer case into neutral before exiting the tractor while running or it shuts down. On my 455, you also have to set the brake to get the tractor to stay in position and running without being on the seat, so that's where I began the habit of setting the parking brake.

I can't say that I can see a need for split brakes on this machine. It turns quite tight as it is and while I have used split brakes when raking hay on larger machines or when running cultivators on the old Cub, there aren't any functions I would see my 1series being used for often where split brakes would be helpful.

One other point for the OP, when running near the creek, having the machine in 4wd will help with machine control as would being in Low range, but having the machine in 4wd will cause the front wheels to scuff the turf much easier when making tighter turns. There are sticky notes in the SCUT thread about this particular issue where people were mowing in 4wd and wondered why they were tearing up the grass when turning.

As Gene (etcallhome) said, it is wise to have the machine in 4wd when on hills and creek banks as it allows you to control the descent with the machine, especially if you have the FEL on the machine or a load on the front. Carrying a load on the front axle and not having the machine in 4wd will cause some pucker moments on downhill rides as the front axle will free wheel when the rear end gets light.

I back my 1 series with the RC2048 down a river bank to mow to the edge of the water, putting the mower wheel right on / in the edge of the water. I make sure to keep my left heel on the diff lock pedal, have the tractor in 4wd and should I feel the machine slipping, I depress the forward pedal. I always figure I would rather have climbing momentum out of the water, than risking hitting the brake and sliding backwards into the river.:dunno:

I always get out of the tractor and walk the bank before I begin mowing it so I can tell how muddy it might be or just how high into the weeds the water comes up. It's not a "steep bank" but it's probably dropping 6 feet in roughly 50' of bank. I certainly would never mow it sideways on the hill with the 1 series and the cab. I would with my 455 and the 60" MMM deck as the machine balance is completely different.........I don't hesitate to mow the ditches with my 455 and won't do it with the 1 series.......

It's deep in that section of the river (7' deep just three steps into the river) and the current is moving right by. It's also a very remote area, where I am at least 1/2 mile from the nearest residence and where no one can see me so if I went in, no one would miss me till the dogs wanted to go out and I wasn't home.....so, it could be awhile. That thought goes through my mind when I do that, not to mention possibly being trapped in the cab with the tractor sinking......So, if I disappear and am never heard from again, suggest they check the river bottom........Man that would suck.......

I could use my carry weapon to "open" the side doors by shattering them, as there would be no way to manually open them with the water pressure against them. (These are the things which go through my mind when I am down there mowing and its just me and the deer.....and bugs.:laugh:..)

I like to mow with the doors on in that area as it's loaded with bugs also with things which will smack you such as raspberry vines, small limbs, poision ivy plants 8 feet tall, etc. and with the cab fans going and the front and rear windows open, the air flow is fine and I am not covered with bugs, scrapes and scratches and itchy oils.......

Heck, with it being in the 60's and low 70's most days so far this summer having the cab doors on hasn't even been an issue thus far when 3 point mowing. I think we have had 80 degrees maybe 2 or 3 days so far this summer. Actually, the temps have been IDEAL, in my opinion......It's 59 degrees outside right now......:good2:

Here is a picture of the river access area from back from the slope and then looking down the slope, which I mow backwards with the 3 point mower.....

Attachments

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Just to wrap this up. I have disparaged the 1025R for ripping up the lawn while mowing on this forum quite a bit. So I have to confess now that it was clearly operator error. I switched to Low to mow and keep my foot off the brake and no more ruts. My apologies to the green tractor forum in general for any post of mine that mentions the 1025R ripping up the lawn. Thanks for all the replies and in particular the hint to mow in Low gear. Heck, I even get to use the cruise control now while mowing. Awesome. :)

:bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,912 Posts
Interesting I would've thought the damage would be caused by being in 4wd rather than a foot on the brake pedal.

Reactions: Hershmeister

·
Registered
2,408 Posts
It’s not how fast you mow, it’s how well you mow fast..

I think that was not thier 1025 but their Ztrac campaign.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts