Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About two months ago, I posted about my GT 235 Briggs coughing and running rich. I took the carb off and did a thorough cleaning and also adjusted the vales (my first attempt).
It ran great, the coughing went away but one plug looked fine and the other plug was blackish. They do not look wet.

Yesterday, it started running extremely rich with both plugs black - please see photo. If I push the throttle all the way up quickly, I get a pop and a lot of black smoke. This machine is about 23 years old and I am wondering if it needs rings etc?

Thank you in advance!
John

Attachments

·
Premium Member
385 Posts
Simply a guess, but probably some crud has gotten in the needle and seat in the carb for the float and it is running rich/flooding. May have to pull bowl off the carb, remove the float and blow out the seat area/fuel inlet. Is the air cleaner damp with fuel? You said it ran great at first, I very much doubt you need rings! Make sure all cables, linkages are adjusted/working properly on the carb.
Have a good vacation!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Also check to see if the oil is overfilled and contaminated with gas. If it has a fuel shutoff solenoid under the float bowl make sure it is closing when the engine is shut off.

Reactions: stevenk

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did take the carb apart and clean all the components about a month ago. It ran very good but had one clean plug and one black plug (but not wet). I am having trouble finding a carb rebuild kit.
On the two occasions that it started running poorly, it was as I finished cutting an acre of grass - ran great and then ran poorly just as I was finishing.
I just got back from vacation - visited the Northwest part of PA and neighboring Ohio - beautiful area and nice people!
I am heading down to the JD dealer near me - he has coil packs and mower belts for me - hopefully these fix the issue
Thanks!
John

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
2 new coil packs - checked the plug gap at .030 and I still have one fouled plug and one clean plug - I'm baffled!
It starts right up and sounds OK - when I go from idle quickly to full throttle I get a small puff of black smoke.
John

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts