Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It occurred to me that it might be nice if all of these recipes and techniques were eventually expanded, edited and categorized into a cookbook...with pictures maybe?...provided that anyone was interested...AND...someone with the skills and patience were to volunteer to do the work. I don't have those skills, but I would be willing to do what I could, including adding some more tried and true old family country recipes and BGE recipes and techniques. What say ye?

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
I think it sounds like a SUPER idea! I can help with organization, and editing, as long as it is done during the winter months, and isn't a "rush" job! My biggest limit is my limited data available per billing cycle (5GB), so adding photos will be a problem on my end. But to have a GTT Cook Book would really be neat!

What do the rest of y'all think? Would you be willing to share old family recipes, as well as some of your other favorites? :fed:

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Being a computer guy, I can help. The first thing that needs to be decided is the format. I would suggest that an electronic version would be more preferable than a printed version. How about the name "Cooking with GTT" and create a section on the forum to post it?????? Farmgirl19 gets credit for the name.

I am pretty busy right now publishing a 260 page town history, but will be finished in the not too distant future. I already did another one with 200 pages. These are published in html internet code for a genealogy web site.

Dave

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Being a computer guy, I can help. The first thing that needs to be decided is the format. I would suggest that an electronic version would be more preferable than a printed version. How about the name "Cooking with GTT" and create a section on the forum to post it?????? Farmgirl19 gets credit for the name.

I am pretty busy right now publishing a 260 page town history, but will be finished in the not too distant future. I already did another one with 200 pages. These are published in html internet code for a genealogy web site.

Dave
I can't see that there's any rush; it will take a long time just to get everybody informed and collect the recipes. I see nothing wrong with an electronic version, in fact there are probably several advantages. It would be nice if the pictures were used, but not necessary by any means. It would also be preferable if the recipes and the whole book were printable and capable of being downloaded, copied and attached to an email. I have an example from another site that I could send to you to illustrate what I mean.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Well.....

I could figure out measurements on a few and toss them on the pile with pics.
I suppose I should write stuff down sooner or later anyhow, and this would be a good opportunity.

Is this going to be a printed thing for sale or a download type thing?

·
8,558 Posts
Since we are all just volunteering, and it isn't really an "official" book, I think downloadable is best, but in a format that those that download it can print, should they choose to. That way, no one is out the cost of printing, and then needing to sell them to recover the costs.

I think this will be FUN, and exciting! We could even have a contest, where folks can enter photos of their tractor for a chance to have their tractor on the front cover, or back cover. Might have to figure out a way to have an impartial "judging panel" for that, but could also add a little fun in the photo category, as well as for recipes and their pics!

·
Registered
446 Posts
Sounds like a fun and tasty idea.

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I think this will be FUN, and exciting! We could even have a contest, where folks can enter photos of their tractor for a chance to have their tractor on the front cover, or back cover. Might have to figure out a way to have an impartial "judging panel" for that, but could also add a little fun in the photo category, as well as for recipes and their pics!
I like the idea. Sadly, a lot of my "family recipes" come from online sources and cookbooks, but there are a few that would probably qualify.

I want to see some photos of people eating their home-cooked creations while sitting on their tractor. :laugh:

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
There's an old cookbook that a small, country–town bank would give away years ago. The bank was called ,"The Cow Pasture Bank". The cookbook is the only remnant I have of the bank as it closed several years ago. The grass landing strip behind the building was built for bank customers that flew small planes and wanted to fly in to do their banking. A pretty unique bank IMO.

I can share some recipes from that cookbook. It was printed in 1976.

·
Premium Member
10,057 Posts
There's an old cookbook that a small, country–town bank would give away years ago. The bank was called ,"The Cow Pasture Bank". The cookbook is the only remnant I have of the bank as it closed several years ago. The grass landing strip behind the building was built for bank customers that flew small planes and wanted to fly in to do their banking. A pretty unique bank IMO.

I can share some recipes from that cookbook. It was printed in 1976.
Now that's a cool bank!

Nearest thing to that we have around here is still a far shot away. Local bank has a couple of stock trailers that bank customers can use.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Now that's a cool bank!

Nearest thing to that we have around here is still a far shot away. Local bank has a couple of stock trailers that bank customers can use.
Yeah I was sad when word first come out that it was closing. The town reopened the landing strip a while back.
While visiting the bank in the 1990's, I never would've dreamed it would close a few years later. Wish I had something besides just the cookbook to remember it by.

·
8,558 Posts
OK, I am bumping this up, because I should have a little time between Thanksgiving and Christmas to begin any work on this. I would also need to have any of my part finished before March 1. Sounds like a long way away, but is actually less than 120 days. Since my computer skills are woefully lacking, ddinham will get called on for some (most?) of the computer stuff, when he is finished with his project.

So, what I need to know from ddinham is, do we need .doc, or will similar, such as .odt (Open Office) work when recipes are submitted? If someone is using a Mac, do they need to convert, or is there something (a program) that can/will do that for us? Can we get it all into one format, at the end?

The rest of you, this is going into the holiday season, so old family recipes should be coming to "front and center" soon. Keep them out and dusted off! And summer isn't so far behind us that you have stored those favorites yet. Collect what you are willing to share, and have them handy. As soon as I know what we need, I'll be asking for submissions.

I would really like to have 100 recipes, or more, for the GTT cookbook!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
I need them in editable form but can also use pdf as I have software that can convert those. I think Office will open most competitor files.

Sent from my Sprint EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 4

·
8,558 Posts
Next question

Anyone have ideas about how to have an impartial judging panel, for photos submitted for the covers? We need something with a Deere tractor for those covers.

While not impartial, there can also be "pay for votes" type things. I have seen those used in fundraisers for non-profit groups. A site is set up, (or has a section) where one adds pics, then others pay $0.20/vote to try to elect their favorite pics. Winner gets front cover, and 2nd place gets back cover. Proceeds could go to the GTT site, if that is allowed. (Usually is set up to accept PayPal.)

I have never set this sort of thing up, so don't know if it is do-able for this, or not. I cannot be on the judging panel, because I have a pic or two I might submit. If I am needed on the panel, then I won't submit any pics.

Do we even want to have cover pics? I think they'd add to the cookbook, but maybe others don't.

Can the ones with computer savvy, as well as site owners or those that know, let me know on this? Thanks! I do not want to cross any lines, but would love for this to be something fun, that many can get involved in, as well as possibly gaining a dollar or two to the site, if allowed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts