Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Picked up my first JD in rough shape. Trying to do a full restoration.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

The back of all the cracked plastic was welded and reinforced with scotch weld. Today I routed out the cracks and scotch welded the front for strength and potting. Tomorrow I will sand and prep for primer when I get a chance. Let me know what you guys think and any advice will be much appreciated.

·
Registered
10,299 Posts
Nice work. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3 Posts
nice project. Good work on that grille. Hood is looking good too! Take a full before pic so as you can show us both when your done. I have a GT275 that I can't seem to get one broken out piece of the hood/vent piece to stay put. I haven't tried "scotch weld" though.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
nice project. Good work on that grille. Hood is looking good too! Take a full before pic so as you can show us both when your done. I have a GT275 that I can't seem to get one broken out piece of the hood/vent piece to stay put. I haven't tried "scotch weld" though.

I’ll keep the thread updated with pics. Thanks for looking.

As far as your broken piece goes, scotch weld is the way to go. I’m an aircraft mechanic and have seen the stuff do wonders. They have different blends. The one for plastic isn’t necessary they all work. Sand the back on both sites of the break and cake it on. Apply a heat source until it hardens. Wait till the next day until you handle it. Routing out the front side and potting is not necessary but will strengthen it. Do that only if painting.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I didn't realize these were hard on hoods. Of course the right person can "F" up a steel handled sledge hammer. Do you think it had a rough life or was it one of Deeres diseased hoods? Regardless, nice work. :thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I didn't realize these were hard on hoods. Of course the right person can "F" up a steel handled sledge hammer. Do you think it had a rough life or was it one of Deeres diseased hoods? Regardless, nice work. :thumbup1gif:
I’m not sure. The guy I got it from was no genius. Low oil, v-belt backwards. Plastic and seat beat to ****. I think he kept it outside. I got the motor purring like a kitten. It’s got the 17hp Kawasaki. After I get everything cleaned up and painted it should be a looker. However now that I joined the forum I’ve learned a bit about JD and I think I want a 420. I’m on the hunt for one now, if I get one when the gt262 is done I will sell it.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
I’m not sure. The guy I got it from was no genius. Low oil, v-belt backwards. Plastic and seat beat to ****. I think he kept it outside. I got the motor purring like a kitten. It’s got the 17hp Kawasaki. After I get everything cleaned up and painted it should be a looker. However now that I joined the forum I’ve learned a bit about JD and I think I want a 420. I’m on the hunt for one now, if I get one when the gt262 is done I will sell it.

Not everyone has an appreciation of fine machines. It can become an addiction. I love restoring older Deeres.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not everyone has an appreciation of fine machines. It can become an addiction. I love restoring older Deeres.
Your not kidding. I’m googling all the crazy stuff you can put on these things. It’s exciting lol

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Your not kidding. I’m googling all the crazy stuff you can put on these things. It’s exciting lol

Just wait until you discover hydraulics. The ol $ meter will really start spinning then.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I finished the grille today. It came out a bit autobahn but it was either custom or a new one.

·
Registered
471 Posts
Very nice work:cheers:

·
Registered
365 Posts
Vitalik, I also like what you are doing with the GT262. Your approach makes me think you have previous experience with this old brittle plastic. Yes?
Would you mind sharing the exact type of Scotch Weld you are using on these plastic parts? Have you used it before on JD plastic hoods? If so, what long term results have you experienced with it?
I, and probably many others, are still searching for a better way to repair these plastic hoods that will be worth while. I looked at the long list of Scotch Weld flavors, but just didn't get a clue as to which one is appropriate.
Having all the broken pieces is a plus too. What do you use for repair when some of the pieces are missing or discarded by a PO?

Thanks in advance!

tommyhawk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Vitalik, I also like what you are doing with the GT262. Your approach makes me think you have previous experience with this old brittle plastic. Yes?
Would you mind sharing the exact type of Scotch Weld you are using on these plastic parts? Have you used it before on JD plastic hoods? If so, what long term results have you experienced with it?
I, and probably many others, are still searching for a better way to repair these plastic hoods that will be worth while. I looked at the long list of Scotch Weld flavors, but just didn't get a clue as to which one is appropriate.
Having all the broken pieces is a plus too. What do you use for repair when some of the pieces are missing or discarded by a PO?

Thanks in advance!

tommyhawk
The only other time I have repaired a JD hood was last year for a friend. 3M makes a scotch weld for plastic. I don’t use it. I’ve tried fiber glass for someone and I find that it doesn’t bond as well as the scotch weld I use which is 1751. So far I have found nothing that bonds as well as this stuff pretty much to anything. It’s designed for metal but like I said is the best thing I’ve found for all purposes. It cures as hard as metal and can even be machined. If you repair plastic with it the key is sanding and prep. If you sand and prep then it will never disbond or break in that spot ever again. You can even repair the plastic by sanding and plastering only the back side. You will see the crack but it will be solid. I do the back then route it out on the front and fill, sand and paint. I will post more pics when I get a chance to work on it.

Ps is you don’t have all the pieces fiber glass and a vacuum bag is pretty much your only option. Comes out good but way more work and a pain in the ass.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Thanks again for that info. I now know what to try the next time. Most of the tractors I have use the fiberglass hoods and while not real good at that, I can eventually get a sturdy repair that looks good, too. Learned a lot of tricks to make them come out better over the years. But these plastic ones aren't as easy.

tommyhawk

1 - 20 of 21 Posts