Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I bought a GT275 earlier this summer, and it has been a learning experience. I have mowed several times over the summer, but lately it has started blowing fuses right after startup. There were a few times where it would blow while I was mowing, and if I replaced the fuse it would run for a few seconds after startup, but then blow again, but if I pushed it back to its parking spot it would start up OK the next day, and run OK for a while, until the next fuse blew sometime later. Once the fuse blew right after a heavy bump going over a tree root. I replaced the starter assembly earlier in the summer. Before I tried starting it today, I put in a new voltage regulator and a new fuel shutoff solenoid. It ran with the parking brake on for a few minutes, but as soon as I took the parking brake off and hit the gas (I can't say for certain which step did it) - the next fuse died.

I am tired of the disappointment when each attempted fix fails, and I am ready for it to run reliably, and so I'm planning to take a local dealership up on their offer of free pickup and dropoff with service. (Because it's new to me, it wouldn't be the worst thing to have trained eyes look it over, even if they have a financial interest in telling me there are problems.)

Anybody have easy-to-diagnose and easy-to-fix ideas what could be causing this?

Edit: the seat switch has been bypassed and there are no headlights at the moment.

· Registered
2022 1025R
390 Posts
I don't know.

But I have a 2001 GT 235E with the 18hp briggs vanguard.

I bought it new, I use year round, mowing and plowing, just mowed today. I've never had any fuse problem. It does not have any mods to safety switches. The reverse mower deck shut off is easy to defeat with an old fashioned clothes line pin placed on the PTO switch, to hold it in the up position.

I only mention all this because the electrical system on mine has been fine. The "E" means it has an onboard generator with 2 outlets, that still work. Plug power tools in and the run, such as a drill or circular saw.

I am not mechanical, but as a wild guess wonder if you have a short somewhere. Either from a mod someone did, or from mice chewing on a wire, or from just wear and tear.

Best of luck finding the fix.

· Registered
2,118 Posts
Sounds like you have an intermittent short to ground. There's a few ways to test for these but all of them involve starting at one end of the machine and working along the length of every wiring harness, shaking and tugging the wires, until you find the short.

What I would do personally is connect a multimeter between the chassis and the load side of the fuse. Then shake down each harness until I saw continuity when working with a certain part of the harness. If most of the time you move a specific section of the harness and see the short appear, then that part of the harness or the devices it is connected to will be where the problem lies.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts