Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So in the corse of reviving our old gt275 mower to bag with next year my dad wants me to refinish the mower deck.

This is more of a question right now than anything. All the paint needs to be removed and the light surface rust where the paint has chipped.

We have a 7" grinder/polisher/sander. That's what I'm looking at using to remove the paint and rust etc. What kind of pad/wheel should I be looking for? I was thinking of a middle of the road sanding disc would be ok but I want your opinions. Of course once I get started I will update and post pics of the progress.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Scotch Brite Wheel? Thats what it looks like. After some more reading I think a scotch brite is what I want. Now I just gotta find one to fit the polisher/grinder we have.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Considering we live in the middle of no where. Nobody around us has a sandblaster. And the ones that do charge an arm and a leg to blast stuff

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Scotch Brite Wheel? Thats what it looks like. After some more reading I think a scotch brite is what I want. Now I just gotta find one to fit the polisher/grinder we have.
No its not scotch brite. Its alot more aggressive than those . Here is a link on ebay....they are called "clean and strip discs". Lowes and Home Depot carry them as well.

4 1 2"x7 8 Paint Rust Easy Strip Clean Disc 10 | eBay

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks RGD. I may have to look into a smaller grinder but i need one anyhow. I'm going to pop the pulleys this afternoon after practice so i'll add some pics shortly

·
Registered
768 Posts
Are you planning to refinish the entire deck, both top and underside? What are your plans for underside deck paint?

I'm thinking that something like POR-15 would work nicely if there is a little bit of light rush (tooth as POR calls it) as it creates an extremely durable and hard finish.

What does everyone think?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I was late responding. After some further investigation and the fact that my dad doesn't want to buy an angle grinder atm we nixed the project for the time being. We may come back to it at a later date.

·
Registered
768 Posts
No worries. You can get away with a decent, but inexpensive angle grinder and pad for about $40-$50 so don't feel that you need to use an expensive grinder if that is the barrier.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That and it's the height of corn/milo harvest right now and the hight of marching season I don't have the time to put into it right now.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Ah, time is a factor with these projects.

·
Registered
768 Posts
I'm thinking this would not be a good idea as spray liners are not smooth and I would think the coating would contribute to clogging the deck. A smooth paint like POR-15 should perform very well as it's slippery and smooth.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I don't think it would be as big of an issue as people make it out to possibly be. How many rough rusty decks are out there? They don't have any problems. I would think a tough durable bed liner coating would work really good.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Give it a try and let us know how well it works out.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Took me all day cleaning the deck and scraping and wire brushing ect. Sprayed it with truck bed liner spray. Turned out pretty good.
My neighbor stopped by while I was working on it and he said he used truck bed liner spray on all of his mower decks. He has a collection of lawn/garden tractors and works on them and buys and sells them. I asked him if grass stuck to the textured surface and he said not at all.
I wont be able to give a personal report until spring though as I am done mowing for the year with the 345.

·
Registered
768 Posts
Took me all day cleaning the deck and scraping and wire brushing ect. Sprayed it with truck bed liner spray. Turned out pretty good.
My neighbor stopped by while I was working on it and he said he used truck bed liner spray on all of his mower decks. He has a collection of lawn/garden tractors and works on them and buys and sells them. I asked him if grass stuck to the textured surface and he said not at all.
I wont be able to give a personal report until spring though as I am done mowing for the year with the 345.
Cool, hopefully it works out for you as well. Let us know how it works in the spring. Know mowing is frowned upon when the grass is wet, but curious if that would allow for grass to stick to the textured bed liner spray as well.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts