Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok folks! We are now going into the season of dusting off old family recipes that only get used this time of the year. We should not be so far from summer, that grilling and other recipes are distant memories. We are putting together a GTT Cookbook! (Thanks to 2LaneCruzer for the idea!) This cookbook will be in a downloadable format. It would be AWESOME to have as many of your favorite recipes submitted, as possible. (And each of you may submit as many recipes as you wish!) If this is your own family recipe, let us know that. If you have a favorite from another cookbook, or website, please let us know where the recipe comes from, so that we do not get into copyright issues. I would also like to include the name of the submitter, so that you (and your family) can receive credit. That is one of the neat things about sharing recipes! Also, any interesting tidbits of info about how the recipe came about, or if it freezes well, etc., will be a plus!

This cookbook will be a combined effort of volunteers, who just happen to like green tractors! I believe it will be broken up into several sections, such as "Appetizers, Main Courses, Side Dishes, Desserts, Breads, and Beverages". This, of course, is predicated on the recipes received, and number in each category. If we get enough involvement, "Main Courses" could be further broken down into "Beef, Chicken, Pork and Vegetarian". Photos of the finished dish will add to the cookbook, but are not required.

What I will need from those submitting recipes, is to have them in an editable format. (Thanks to ddinham for helping with the computer end of things, since I am terribly technologically challenged!)

Also, since this is still in the begiinning stages, if you have ideas on how to make this a great effort and final product, please, feel free to share your ideas. We might even have a photo contest, if we need a cover shot, but right now, all is flexible.

I am hoping for a lot of help and involvement, so that this will be a fabulous cookbook, wearing the GTT name!

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
Ok folks! We are now going into the season of dusting off old family recipes that only get used this time of the year. We should not be so far from summer, that grilling and other recipes are distant memories. We are putting together a GTT Cookbook! (Thanks to 2LaneCruzer for the idea!) This cookbook will be in a downloadable format. It would be AWESOME to have as many of your favorite recipes submitted, as possible. (And each of you may submit as many recipes as you wish!) If this is your own family recipe, let us know that. If you have a favorite from another cookbook, or website, please let us know where the recipe comes from, so that we do not get into copyright issues. I would also like to include the name of the submitter, so that you (and your family) can receive credit. That is one of the neat things about sharing recipes! Also, any interesting tidbits of info about how the recipe came about, or if it freezes well, etc., will be a plus!

This cookbook will be a combined effort of volunteers, who just happen to like green tractors! I believe it will be broken up into several sections, such as "Appetizers, Main Courses, Side Dishes, Desserts, Breads, and Beverages". This, of course, is predicated on the recipes received, and number in each category. If we get enough involvement, "Main Courses" could be further broken down into "Beef, Chicken, Pork and Vegetarian". Photos of the finished dish will add to the cookbook, but are not required.

What I will need from those submitting recipes, is to have them in an editable format. (Thanks to ddinham for helping with the computer end of things, since I am terribly technologically challenged!)

Also, since this is still in the begiinning stages, if you have ideas on how to make this a great effort and final product, please, feel free to share your ideas. We might even have a photo contest, if we need a cover shot, but right now, all is flexible.

I am hoping for a lot of help and involvement, so that this will be a fabulous cookbook, wearing the GTT name!
I like the idea of a photo contest; there has to be a way to work a green machine into the background, after all, tractors and food do have a direct relationship...maybe something Rockwellesque? Maybe if the Administrator(s) are on board, they could somehow alert all forums of the plans for the cookbook and the photo contest?

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
Is just a standard Word document format okay? I take it whoever is doing the final formatting will pretty stuff up so it fits the format of the cookbook?

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Is just a standard Word document format okay? I take it whoever is doing the final formatting will pretty stuff up so it fits the format of the cookbook?
Yes, andy b. I'll take any editable format, and "pretty it up", or get help in that department. I was beginning to think no one was interested. It's about time you showed up! :laugh:

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
Yes, andy b. I'll take any editable format, and "pretty it up", or get help in that department. I was beginning to think no one was interested. It's about time you showed up! :laugh:

FG is correct that Word format will work just fine. Any editable format can be used. I can even use pdf format as I have the software to convert it to editable format. In addition to Word format, I can also use rtf, txt, and works. I can even use Excel if that works best for you. Sometimes a recipe needs more than one column, in order to display ingredients in one column and instructions in another column. Or maybe to display a picture in a column beside other information. I actually use Excel a lot when creating the layout, then moving it into a web page.

Now that everybody has had a BIG thanksgiving meal so recent, you should have some favorite foods in your mind (and a little lower), so help FG out with some recipes. Are we going to have to show a hand tool or tractor attachment next to it to get you guys (and gals) interested????? If someone asks for help in fixing their equipment, you all sound off right away, so how come FG is not getting any interest in these recipes. If you don't want her to go over your head to the BOSS, you might want to get "crackin" as grandma used to say. Is she going to have to do another rain (or snow) dance??? Oh, wait a minute, snow involves cold, and she does not do cold, so it would have to be only rain.:tongue:

Bring it on!!!!!!!
Dave

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
FG is correct that Word format will work just fine. Any editable format can be used. I can even use pdf format as I have the software to convert it to editable format. In addition to Word format, I can also use rtf, txt, and works. I can even use Excel if that works best for you. Sometimes a recipe needs more than one column, in order to display ingredients in one column and instructions in another column. Or maybe to display a picture in a column beside other information. I actually use Excel a lot when creating the layout, then moving it into a web page.

Now that everybody has had a BIG thanksgiving meal so recent, you should have some favorite foods in your mind (and a little lower), so help FG out with some recipes. Are we going to have to show a hand tool or tractor attachment next to it to get you guys (and gals) interested????? If someone asks for help in fixing their equipment, you all sound off right away, so how come FG is not getting any interest in these recipes. If you don't want her to go over your head to the BOSS, you might want to get "crackin" as grandma used to say. Is she going to have to do another rain (or snow) dance??? Oh, wait a minute, snow involves cold, and she does not do cold, so it would have to be only rain.:tongue:

Bring it on!!!!!!!
Dave
If everyone is really serious about following through on this, maybe we "we, meaning those of us in the off topic forum" could somehow persuade the Administration to use their skills to inform the members at large of the intent to do the book, perhaps an email to the members at their private addresses, with sufficient info so that if others wish to contribute, they will know how. We already have a considerable number of recipes posted in this forum, the question is, will we have to reformat them in Word and resubmit or some such? I have probably contributed 7 or eight myself, and can contribute several more.

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
For those recipes already posted here, a link to those you wish to have included will work just fine. Permission is required.

Dave

Sent from my Sprint EVO 4G LTE using Tapatalk 4

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I'm here. :fed:
So some of the recipes we make at my house are things we just modified a little from a recipe we found online or in some cookbook. In fact, the only two recipes I can think of that aren't from a book are a pasta fagioli recipe my wife has, and a hamburger recipe I have that I just kind of make up as I go along whenever I get the grill fired up. Are modified recipes from some other source allowed? For some of them I don't even know if I can find the original source.

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm here. :fed:
So some of the recipes we make at my house are things we just modified a little from a recipe we found online or in some cookbook. In fact, the only two recipes I can think of that aren't from a book are a pasta fagioli recipe my wife has, and a hamburger recipe I have that I just kind of make up as I go along whenever I get the grill fired up. Are modified recipes from some other source allowed? For some of them I don't even know if I can find the original source.
My thoughts are, if it is truly modofied, not just omiting one ingredient because you don't have it on hand, it should be fine. A lot of recipes start out as someone else's recipe. We just don't want blatant copy and paste, if we can't cite the source. Since 2LaneCruzer has been involved in something similar to this before, maybe he can tell me if I am correct, or not.

·
Premium Member
4,637 Posts
My thoughts are, if it is truly modofied, not just omiting one ingredient because you don't have it on hand, it should be fine. A lot of recipes start out as someone else's recipe. We just don't want blatant copy and paste, if we can't cite the source. Since 2LaneCruzer has been involved in something similar to this before, maybe he can tell me if I am correct, or not.
The one that I recall, the only criteria were that it be a family recipe and that it was written in your own words. My understanding is that ingredients are not subject to copyright, but context, i.e., pictures, descriptions, names, are. I suggest that GTT run it by their legal counsel...particularly if any money is going to change hands.

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't think this will have money changing hands, but rather be a free, downloadable collection of recipes. I think we will be fine, if nothing is actually copied exactly from actual recipe book, as I stated in my previous post. If photos are going to be submitted with a recipe, make sure they are your own. If I am wrong, I'll take whatever heat from it.

Thanks for the response, 2Lane!

·
Registered
3,847 Posts
FG, how are the recipes coming along???? Do we have enough to start on the cookbook? Do we have any at all???????:flag_of_truce:

Dave

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I have a cake recipe.
Do I PM it to farmgirl, or how do I get it to her?

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
andy b, you are the first to show an interest in sharing a recipe, besides 2LaneCruzer and myself! Try sending it to me as a PM. I have sent you a PM, in case that does not work.

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Gonna be doing Medagliones e' Gorgonzola, and Panacotta Limone here shortly.

Do you want pics of the carnage, or just text?
Pics too, please! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
andy b, you are the first to show an interest in sharing a recipe, besides 2LaneCruzer and myself! Try sending it to me as a PM. I have sent you a PM, in case that does not work.
I would have thought all those folks who have been posting recipes would have just forwarded them over to you.

I'll admit, my real interest in this cookbook is having the recipes that have been posted on the forum in one easy-to-find location. If the gathering is going slower than expected, what if a sticky was made in the cooking forum just titled "GTT COOKBOOK". It would be links to all the recipes posted. The thread would be locked, and a mod (I guess) would have to add a new link each time a recipe was posted. Any comments on the recipe would be made in the original thread and not in the cookbook sticky. That way the sticky would remain clean and uncluttered.

My first recipe is for Irish Chocolate Sweet Potato Cake, for anyone interested. :fed:

·
Administrator
20,363 Posts
I would have thought all those folks who have been posting recipes would have just forwarded them over to you.

I'll admit, my real interest in this cookbook is having the recipes that have been posted on the forum in one easy-to-find location. If the gathering is going slower than expected, what if a sticky was made in the cooking forum just titled "GTT COOKBOOK". It would be links to all the recipes posted. The thread would be locked, and a mod (I guess) would have to add a new link each time a recipe was posted. Any comments on the recipe would be made in the original thread and not in the cookbook sticky. That way the sticky would remain clean and uncluttered.

My first recipe is for Irish Chocolate Sweet Potato Cake, for anyone interested. :fed:
Not a bad idea Andy.

Once you guys hammer out the details on how you want to do this, I can make it happen.:thumbup1gif:

and so can the other Mods/Admins.:mocking:

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Can someone explain what I need to do, to get this to fit the scenario andy b mentioned? I would have a little time tomorrow and Saturday to begin whatever process, but I don't know what I need to do, if we are not putting this into a cookbook format. I'm game for however works best for everyone, just want to know what is needed from me. Y'all know that I am the tech challenged blonde, so help me a little.

I've got to do the "see and be seen" thing for work on Sunday afternoon, so was hoping to get my brain working before then. I've also got a couple more recipes to share, once I know how and what. With my typing skills, I don't want to have to type them twice!

Thanks y'all!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts