Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
GTT's Pilot in Command (PIC)
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to throw this out again......

I would be happy to try to organize a GTT "get together", complete with a food cook-off, if enough were interested. However, I cannot do this long distance, so it would have to be within driving distance of me. (Not flying in and getting a rental car to tie up all details!) I mentioned before that I could likely get a location near the Red River, near the TX-OK line at some fairgrounds. The place would have camping facilities. Even mentioned getting the local Deere dealer to come out and set up.

Anyone wanting to enter the food cook-off could, and everyone else could be judges.

Last time I mentioned this, it fell flat. I will not spend the time or effort, much less money to reserve the grounds, if there is not a true interest. 3 people said they would like to come, one offering to enter the cook-off. I can't get busy over that. And the timing would need to be Fall, as Spring brings storms the non "Tornado Alley" folks are not going to like, and Summer is too hot.

So, if we want a consolidated, GTT meet up, I'll get after it and plan for Fall 2016. But if it meets with no better response than my last attempt, someone else can put it together and pick me up and return me to the local airport, and I'll show up for food and fun, but no drinks. And if you are not serious about attending, do not say that you are "In', because I do not want to be left holding the bag if no one shows up, or claims they have to cancel at the last minute. In fact, I might ask for a $50 deposit from everyone offering to attend, that will be refunded if you actually show up.

And this way, wives, girlfriends, etc. would all be able to attend too, and it could be lots of fun. But it will be work and expense, so who all is "in" now?

·
Super Moderator
8,203 Posts
I'm going to throw this out again......

I would be happy to try to organize a GTT "get together", complete with a food cook-off, if enough were interested. However, I cannot do this long distance, so it would have to be within driving distance of me. (Not flying in and getting a rental car to tie up all details!) I mentioned before that I could likely get a location near the Red River, near the TX-OK line at some fairgrounds. The place would have camping facilities. Even mentioned getting the local Deere dealer to come out and set up.

Anyone wanting to enter the food cook-off could, and everyone else could be judges.

Last time I mentioned this, it fell flat. I will not spend the time or effort, much less money to reserve the grounds, if there is not a true interest. 3 people said they would like to come, one offering to enter the cook-off. I can't get busy over that. And the timing would need to be Fall, as Spring brings storms the non "Tornado Alley" folks are not going to like, and Summer is too hot.

So, if we want a consolidated, GTT meet up, I'll get after it and plan for Fall 2016. But if it meets with no better response than my last attempt, someone else can put it together and pick me up and return me to the local airport, and I'll show up for food and fun, but no drinks. And if you are not serious about attending, do not say that you are "In', because I do not want to be left holding the bag if no one shows up, or claims they have to cancel at the last minute. In fact, I might ask for a $50 deposit from everyone offering to attend, that will be refunded if you actually show up.

And this way, wives, girlfriends, etc. would all be able to attend too, and it could be lots of fun. But it will be work and expense, so who all is "in" now?
I'm interested in attending. It all depends on the date. I've got some vacation time I have to burn-up by the end of the year. At this point I've tentatively slated the last week of September and October for vacation along with Thanksgiving and Christmas weeks. I could juggle the September and October weeks though.

As far as the cook-off is concerned I'd be happy to bring an assortment of Portuguese sausage, cheese, wine and sweetbread. It's always a hit at cookouts and get togethers!!

·
Administrator
20,984 Posts
Frank, did you see that this is tentatively planned for fall 2016?

I try to plan ahead, but I'm nowhere near as efficient as you are if you plan that far ahead. :lol:

·
Registered
4,221 Posts
I am in

Sent from my Sprint HTC One

·
Super Moderator
8,203 Posts
Frank, did you see that this is tentatively planned for fall 2016?

I try to plan ahead, but I'm nowhere near as efficient as you are if you plan that far ahead. :lol:
Oops............was speed readin' the posts. Missed that little detail! :banghead:

I've been know that take-off on a whim though.......:cheers:

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Holy-Moly, SGS. If you are bringing all of that next year. I'll pay you to come and join the fun! :bigbeer:

Reactions: Superglidesport

·
Super Moderator
8,203 Posts
Holy-Moly, SGS. If you are bringing all of that next year. I'll pay you to come and join the fun! :bigbeer:
You can't pay me. Actually it's an Italian thing. That part of me requires me to bring food wherever I go. Last week on my way to Dearborn I dropped off 50# of Chourico, 50# of Linguica (Hot & Mild Portuguese sausage) , 25# of Velho Cheese and a case of Portuguese wine to my daughter in Ohio to distribute among friends of ours.

I've got a huge cooler that's made plenty of long road trips!!

·
Chief Stick-picker-upper
11,823 Posts
Depending on the date next Fall, I'd be interested in attending; and maybe enter the cooking how-ya-call-it. Could also bring some Cajun goodies. You know, Boudin, Hog Cracklins, Smoked Pork and Alligator Sausage.

·
Premium Member
10,174 Posts
So long as it is not the weekend before Thanksgiving.... (deer season opens that weekend) I'm In.

Where do I send the deposit....:lol:

Reactions: farmgirl19

·
Premium Member
2,904 Posts
We're pretty flexible on the date given we have a year to plan. We have Tulsa in our Loafer plans next year but haven't picked the date yet. We would carry on a little more south to meet up for sure. Are we thinking Sept or Oct ? Too late is risky for driving home but could fly in for sure. Let's see what the consensus is on the date.

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Depending on the date next Fall, I'd be interested in attending; and maybe enter the cooking how-ya-call-it. Could also bring some Cajun goodies. You know, Boudin, Hog Cracklins, Smoked Pork and Alligator Sausage.
Now I am hungry!!

·
8,558 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
We're pretty flexible on the date given we have a year to plan. We have Tulsa in our Loafer plans next year but haven't picked the date yet. We would carry on a little more south to meet up for sure. Are we thinking Sept or Oct ? Too late is risky for driving home but could fly in for sure. Let's see what the consensus is on the date.
If it is happening near the Red River, it would probably need to be in October. It is still in the 90s for high temps in September, and the northern folk would be miserable, like I was when in Saskatoon during the winter. And much farther into Nov, than the first weekend, travel can be dicey for some, and everyone begins thinking and planning for the holidays, so may not want a food fest just a week or two before the holiday eating begins. And if flyweight and SGS show up, it sounds like a food fest!! :good2:

I was thinking of Gainesville, TX, when I threw the idea out last year. They have fairgrounds and a Deere dealer that might be willing to come set up if we had the numbers.

I'll try to monitor this thread and see how many are interested, and if there are enough, I'll begin making contacts in 30-45 days and see what we might be looking at, near Gainesville, Texoma, etc.

·
Registered
4,440 Posts
wish i could, but 1) waaay to far away, 2) i dont think i could get away :banghead:. its a great idea, but i dont think i could make it.

sorry, wish i could.

jh

1 - 17 of 17 Posts