Green Tractor Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First it was my X540 mower. I mowed the orchard and my hands were black with sticky crud by the time I was done. The steering wheel was gummy and leaving this black crud on my hands. I took some rubbing alcohol to it an it seemed to clear up.

Now the same thing happened on my 4320. Same hot day. Same black palms.

What's going on? Anyone else have this problem? If so what have you done to keep it from happening? It's a PITA.

·
Registered
27,278 Posts
I've read about similar things in a Ford forum I read. There was really no definite answer but a lot pointed to a persons sweat (skin oils) and how acidic it might be.

Reactions: mjncad

·
Premium Member
9,669 Posts
Not gummy or sticky, but the steering wheel of my 2030 will leave my hands black. My other three Deeres do not. My solution, where gloves. :laugh:

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Anything that you have your hands all over will most likely deteriorate over time. Being in the blazing sun with sweaty hands don't help.

Not just steering wheels do this. Grips on a motorcycle end up the same way. Worn out. Lol especially if you ride with bare hands.

I usually wear a pair of Cornwell tool gloves with jell in the palms. They cut down on the vibration big time. Protecting your hands is another great feature. It's not a bad thing to get in the habit of using gloves. No matter what kind of machine you are driving.

·
Bonehead Club Lackey
11,466 Posts
Don't have that problem. I put a steering knob on it and use it. But if you get the steering wheel dirty and then it gets wet or dew on it, that will do it most every time. On any steering wheel. Wash the dirt off and it will be good till it gets dirty again.

Reactions: DRobinson

·
Registered
741 Posts
I've recently had this problem with my 1950 Farmall Cub but my Ford and Deere tractors have been just fine. I kept wiping the wheel with Simple Green and got 95% of the gunk off.

Reactions: Levi

·
Registered
20 Posts
About once a year my beige Camry wheel does this to me. I don't always clean my hands before I get in, and the sweat, oils, dirt, grease, etc. build up, then starts coming off, usually in summer. A good cleaning with window cleaner seems to fix it.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the helpful advice, even though you all sound like my wife--"Your hands are filthy! Go wash up before you even think about touching me." :flag_of_truce:

·
Registered
1,253 Posts
No problem with my steering wheel even on my 15 year old Scott 2554. The key is to wear gloves. The sweat and oil from your hands will cause the steering wheel to desecrate over time. I see this a lot on older trade in cars and trucks.
Just washing your hands before using your tractor my help, but you still can sweat when working.

I wear glove all the time. I'm a princess when it come to getting my hands dirty. :laugh:

Reactions: briansims

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Another thing. You can always throw gloves in the washing machine. Not so easy to do with the steering wheel. LOL

If you are a peep that can't stand wearing gloves try the fingerless type. You can buy the leather type with padded palms or just cut the fingers off a pair you already have. This makes it easier to do tasks like putting the key in a lock or ignition switch.

It took me a long time to get use to wearing gloves but now I won't go without them. I always have at least 3-4 sets for various tasks. Even got some latex gloves for the greasy jobs.

Reactions: HydroHarold
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.