Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last year I started working on the drainage for the front of the house.

The yard slopes to the house from the road and in a heavy rain there would be a lot of water in the front yard and it would pool near the porch.

The downspouts were connected to piping in the ground but something wasn't working.

I found the pipe in the ground. It was your typical 4" round slotted drain pipe. It was buried very shallow and FULL of mud. Since it was shallow, it was easy to remove. I just pulled it out in sections by hand.

Then I dug a new drain line and I used solid DWV pipe.

This is what it looked like when I started.

20180512_184530.jpg

I have two of the three downspouts connected to the pipe and I put in two ground drains as well.

The east corner of the porch roof it lower than it should be. :banghead: Another project is to re-do the front porch and that includes new posts for the roof to bring it back up to level. :munch:

Where the corner of the porch roof is is where the second ground drain is. I built a little catch basin there and drilled a hole in the bottom of the gutter so it would drain.

We have been looking for something to help collect the water better and I found this 25 gallon feed tub.....

20190531_095137.jpg

I put a shower drain in the bottom with a short stub of pipe to direct the water into the top of the 6" ground drain under it.

20190531_095152.jpg

Added a little river rock for some weight to hold it in place and reduce some splashing.

20190531_103157.jpg

This is what it looks like now.

20190531_095209.jpg

20190531_095239.jpg

I still need to attach the last downspout to the drain. My wife wants to put a rain water barrel on that downspout. For now I have some pipe just ran to the open part of the ditch.

·
Registered
21,428 Posts
I really like your catch basin - redneck engineering at its best - and looks great too!

This has given me an idea. One of our new type wind storms last year blew off the elbow at the top of one of my downspouts. Of course it’s at the tallest part of the house - I just can’t do ladders anymore. So the water is coming out of the gutter straight down to the ground.

My downspouts are also connected to underground drains - all 3” cast iron. Some work - some don’t. I’m going to fashion a basin like you make to catch it falling from the roof and have it drain off slowly. In fact I had a plastic 55 gal drum that went bad but I cut the top 12” off with lid and kept it. Don’t know why I did at the time but now I know. That will make a great temporary basin - can plumb in a hose to drain.

Still waiting for the roofing contractor to give me a price which will include new gutters/downspouts....

·
Premium Member
7,886 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Rain Barrel

My wife likes the idea of collecting rainwater for watering the garden plants.

We've had a barrel on the back side of the house that we have been using.

I am not impressed with the overflow options on the factory product. Just a 1" piece of plastic tube at the top. With the heavy rains we get that gets overwhelmed real fast.

When I was power washing the back patio I apparently got the exhaust to close to the plastic barrel.

20190531_112328.jpg

So now that I have a barrel to experiment with....:laugh:

I patched the hole with a bulkhead fitting and a plug. Not pretty, but it works.

What I wanted for an overflow is an internal riser pipe that would drain through the bottom that I could connect to the main drain line.

I used a shower drain for a shower with a liner.

20190531_113350.jpg

I discarded the top part of the drain.

Cut the hole in the bottom and put in the liner side of the drain.

20190531_113405.jpg

20190531_113713.jpg

20190531_115159.jpg

20190531_121458.jpg

The riser tube is 2" PVC with a male pipe thread connection to the drain.

20190531_115447.jpg

20190531_115541.jpg

I wanted the riser to be removable for winter time. Remove the riser, drain the barrel. Leave the riser out and the barrel will just pass the water through to the main drain.

20190531_125420.jpg

So the barrel is ready for "testing". Now all I have to do is build the pad for it, modify the downspout, and get the drain line connected to the drain line. :munch:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts