Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My dad has a gx 345. And the other day we were mowing with it and it was just dumping gas on the ground. So i looked and it has a :unknown:?? vent hose on the carb that was leaking. any suggestions very much appreciated. im sorry if i did not explain well enough. maxresdefault.jpg the little black hose on the right.

·
Registered
145 Posts
You may have trash in the needle and seat. When the bowl is full of gas the float should close the needle stopping the flow of gas.I would take the carb off and clean it real good.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have cleaned the carb once but did not focus on the needle and seat. but that is definitly an option ------- Thanks Keefus!!!!!:good2:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The float also has an adjustment. It works just like a standard toilet. As the fuel bowl fills up it closes the needle and seat. It's usually adjusted by bending the little metal tab that hooks onto the needle. Also make sure that the little rubber tip is in good shape.

Reactions: keefus and E.J.H

·
Administrator
20,852 Posts
The float also has an adjustment. It works just like a standard toilet. As the fuel bowl fills up it closes the needle and seat. It's usually adjusted by bending the little metal tab that hooks onto the needle. Also make sure that the little rubber tip is in good shape.
Yes, but it's also important to know where it closes. If the file bowl has too much or too little fuel in it, that will greatly effect how the engine runs. Usually the float wants to be level with the float bowl mounting surface when held upside down.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The gx 345 ran fine when it was squirting gas but i then took the carb off and cleaned it and:unknown: it started to surge :unknown:(just air i presume):unknown:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
The gx 345 ran fine when it was squirting gas but i then took the carb off and cleaned it and:unknown: it started to surge :unknown:(just air i presume):unknown:
Is that all that you did?
Touch any of the adjustments?
Is it still leaking gas?
Put the linkage back on exactly like it was?

Reactions: E.J.H and BigJim55

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
leaking some but not near as bad. i did not mess with adjustments. i put it back like it was.

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
leaking some but not near as bad. i did not mess with adjustments. i put it back like it was.

What did the needle and seat look like? Any corrosion? Rubber tip in good shape? If it looked good I'd try adjusting the float a little lower.

Did you reuse the gaskets? Could you possibly have a vacuum leak? Spray a little carb cleaner on the outside of the carb & intake manifold. See if it changes the engine speed.

Reactions: keefus and E.J.H

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
There is no metal tab but there is a plastic one. tip is very good. i am not real worried about the surging issue yet. Thanks:wink:

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i got it running like normal. i think it was dirt in the carb. thanks you,all:good2::yahoo:

Reactions: keefus
1 - 11 of 11 Posts