Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello all, My Dad has a 2004 GX 345 with 950+ hrs and the oil pressure light is constantly flickering. what could cause this problem?:unknown::dunno:

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Hello all, My Dad has a 2004 GX 345 with 950+ hrs and the oil pressure light is constantly flickering. what could cause this problem?:unknown::dunno:
Is the light flickering only at idle speed or all the time?

First thing is to see if the engine actually has enough oil in it. If that checks out when was the last time it was changed? Changing it with the correct oil and filter would be next.
Also check for a loose wire to the oil pressure sending unit.

If this all checks out pull the oil pressure sending unit and install a mechanical oil pressure gauge. Then check out the pressure reading at idle and full throttle. Record the readings cold and hot.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It flickers mostly at high rpm. It has 10w30 oil in it and we try to change it every year. Thanks in advance!:thumbup1gif:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
It flickers mostly at high rpm. It has 10w30 oil in it and we try to change it every year. Thanks in advance!:thumbup1gif:
Here's what I learned the last month when I did my regular bi-monthly generator test. It kept shutting down after running about 15 seconds. It turned out to be a faulty shutoff on the fuel line allowing gas to flow through the carb and down into the crankcase, the oil was as thin as water... Something else to check for your oil pressure light.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The oil is not thin. could it be the sensor?:knownothing::unknown:

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Repair Manual sez:

Oil pressure @ slow idle (2050rpm) = 0.36 psi
@ high idle (3550rpm) = 40.0psi

Pressure relief spring bad, pressure relief ball valve defective, oil pickup clogged...?

Very similar hours to my '04 and if it was happening to mine I'd go straight 30wt first and see what happens, quick check and just the price of the oil. Otherwise go with the good advice in previous posts for diagnosis. Pressure gauge replaces oil pressure sensor for test.

Let us know!:good2:

·
Registered
116 Posts
Unplug 620 tan wire from the pressure switch if the light still flickers it would indicate a short to ground between the pressure switch and the bulb. If the light doesn't flicker with the switch unplugged it would indicate a faulty switch or that the oil pressure is actually dropping between 14.2 psi.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks i will try that!:thumbup1gif:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts