Green Tractor Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It was like I turned the key off. It will not restart, the engine turns over and it has spark on each plug wire. There is the right amount of oil in the engine, there is gas in the gas tank, engine does not even try to start-but it has good spark. The engine was running super fine before shutting down. the engine is a kawasaki vertical shaft 20 hp V twin K series water cooled, it was hot today.I give it a short shot of starter fluid and it fired up for a split second or 2. So it must be carburetion. engine has 550 hours. Do any of you have any ideas? fuel pump? or shut off valve?
Klink

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I did some more toubleshooting

I think I found the problem- I will know for sure tomorrow when I replace fuel shut off solenoid. I have power going to solenoid, but it don't seem to be clicking open. And I tried making it activate after removal. no action - I will let you guys know if that fixes it- after I get replacement part, hopefully tomorrow.
Klink

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
I think I found the problem- I will know for sure tomorrow when I replace fuel shut off solenoid. I have power going to solenoid, but it don't seem to be clicking open. And I tried making it activate after removal. no action - I will let you guys know if that fixes it- after I get replacement part, hopefully tomorrow.
Klink
I was going to suggest that.

One guy just recently cut the end off the plunger. Then put it back into the carb. This way fuel flows all the time. It fixed the problem until he could get a new part. However he had problems shutting off the engine.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
good news bad news

well I got my $161.00 part and it worked. The tractor is back running again, that was the problem, a bad fuel shut off solenoid. But now the motor is surging more than it use to do. The motor needs more fuel in the fuel-air mixture. How do you adjust more fuel to the carburetor mixture? or do I have an air leak in system? It will mow now as it is, but its not right. If you put your hand over the air intake, the motor smoothes out. At high RPMs I do not need the choke on. Any help in this scenario would help me. I will be back online later this evening.
Thanks Klink

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
well I got my $161.00 part and it worked. The tractor is back running again, that was the problem, a bad fuel shut off solenoid. But now the motor is surging more than it use to do. The motor needs more fuel in the fuel-air mixture. How do you adjust more fuel to the carburetor mixture? or do I have an air leak in system? It will mow now as it is, but its not right. If you put your hand over the air intake, the motor smoothes out. At high RPMs I do not need the choke on. Any help in this scenario would help me. I will be back online later this evening.
Thanks Klink
You could possibly have a vacuum leak. Spray some carb cleaner around the outside of the carb and intake manifold up to the heads. If the engine speed changes it has a leak.

Otherwise the carb can have a partial blockage inside one of the passages.

Don't know if your particular carb has adjusting screws for the mixture.

·
Registered
1,751 Posts
Glad ya got it running. Those solenoids dont go bad very often.
As for the surging.. Sounds like debris in the carb.

Sent from my LGL52VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
got carb rebuild kit on order

I have a carb rebuild kit on order, comes in on Thursday. I have the carb removed from the engine. To my knowledge and the manual, there are no carb adjustments. Others on Green Tractor Talk say I need to clean carb, So that's next on the agenda. just to reiterate, my original problem is fixed [ a defective fuel shut off solenoid ]
Klink

·
Registered
794 Posts
It probably happened when you disturb the carb (removed the solenoid) and some buildup went into the carb. Was there any type of sealant on the threads of the solenoid? did you physically clean the threads and flush with carb cleaner before putting new solenoid in?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
re

There was no sealant on the straight threads, a copper washer was the seal - JD parts shows an o-ring and the copper washer, But I used the old copper washer over again and it worked fine. Yes, you are right I disturbed something to make the engine run even leaner than before the shut off problem.
Klink

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Run some seafoam in the tank of gas, follow directions on can. Hopefully it is gas residue and the seafoam will dissolve it.
Unfortunately I've never been that lucky. lol
Last one I had on my JS61 had something blocking the fuel flow into the bowl. It was between the carb inlet and the seat. Kept shooting cleaner into it from both directions. Whatever it was nothing would dissolve it. Had already tried Seafoam in the fuel tank. Eventually 175# of compressed air cleaned it out along with the seat. They went flying into the yard never to be seen again. Luckily the carb kit came with a new needle and seat.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I got it back running correctly

I got it back running correctly again. cleaned carb, installed new carb gaskets, reassembled & by golly its running good no surging and it shuts off just fine. I'm gonna call this job done. Thanks for everyones help and discussion. Like I always say this is a good forum when you need to talk tractors
Klink

1 - 13 of 13 Posts